Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• If Orient had kept Smyth or had Dan Agyei playing they would have scored.

We were lucky to play a team with a forward line as depleted as ours (bearing in mind Piggott is also not yet fit).

Let’s see what happens on Sat against Peterborough’s forwards. Definitely agree we need another CB. The current crop won’t get us many clean sheets.
    Paul Smyth 🤣
  • edited August 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Redhenry
    what exactly is your concern with the ownership? I know you used to have some ITK links is the dislike driven from there or is this just a hunch on the lack of signings?
    The lack of signings. Also the signings made in Jan, they were under Andy Scotts watch, some seem to have forgotten those.
    Most new owners at other clubs will have raised the money to buy the club and enough to invest in the squad to at least have a crack at promotion. I'm hoping they will invest in the playing squad, but I am a little disappointed so far...
    It can't all be like when sandgaard took over and you reported that 7 players were going to sign on day 1!
    In defence of Sandgaard we missed out on a lot of key targets and still signed a number of players that should have been able to do a job. It seems they had the wrong manager to achieve that. 

Now every window after that was a let down, Dobson and JRS aside. 
    Funny that it turns out none of them were very good after all. 
  • arny23394 said:
    If Orient had kept Smyth or had Dan Agyei playing they would have scored.

We were lucky to play a team with a forward line as depleted as ours (bearing in mind Piggott is also not yet fit).

Let’s see what happens on Sat against Peterborough’s forwards. Definitely agree we need another CB. The current crop won’t get us many clean sheets.
    Paul Smyth 🤣
    Better than Charlie Kirk!

Smyth now plays in the starting 11 for a championship side so we can’t really laugh about him too much.
    Give over, you fail to mention he was hauled off at half time as his team was already 4-0 down by then
  • Even if we have a new signing this week he will not be fit for another few weeks, so will not play Saturday ☹️
  • sam3110 said:
    arny23394 said:

Paul Smyth 🤣

Smyth now plays in the starting 11 for a championship side so we can’t really laugh about him too much.
    Give over, you fail to mention he was hauled off at half time as his team was already 4-0 down by then
    I’d personally much rather Paul Smyth than Charlie Kirk.

He wasn’t great when we played him wing back but contributed more than kirk when playing further up field (& never hid).

Scored some fantastic goals for orient last season.
  • I keep reading on here that any new signing won't be fit. Can I ask why? Other teams also train and play matches
  • sam3110 said:
    arny23394 said:

Paul Smyth 🤣

I’d personally much rather Paul Smyth than Charlie Kirk.

He wasn’t great when we played him wing back but contributed more than kirk when playing further up field (& never hid).

Scored some fantastic goals for orient last season.
    Both are shite, no thanks to either 
  • Sponsored links:

• I keep reading on here that any new signing won't be fit. Can I ask why? Other teams also train and play matches
    I guess its because 4 out 5 signings to date have not been fit to play straight away. 
    I guess it’s because 4 out 5 signings to date have not been fit to play straight away. 
    I think the only player we could sign that wouldn’t be fit is Sessegnon. Can’t see us bringing in any other free agent. Our targets will now either have been playing for their team or a PL U21 who has had a full season so should be able to play quicker 
    I guess its because 4 out 5 signings to date have not been fit to play straight away. 
    We only seem to sign crocks. 
  • arny23394 said:

Paul Smyth 🤣

And … 
  • NabySarr said:
    I keep reading on here that any new signing won't be fit. Can I ask why? Other teams also train and play matches
    I guess it’s because 4 out 5 signings to date have not been fit to play straight away. 
    I think the only player we could sign that wouldn’t be fit is Sessegnon. Can’t see us bringing in any other free agent. Our targets will now either have been playing for their team or a PL U21 who has had a full season so should be able to play quicker 
    We signed Terry Taylor from Burton for a fee but he was still injured from last season & only played his first minutes last night.

Lloyd Jones has been injured & only played his first game on Saturday. 

A few years back we held our for weeks to sign Ben Reeves....he didn't start for about a month after he signed because he didnt have a pre season. 

Don't think just because the season has now started that players are going to be fully fit.

I'll be astounded if anyone we sign plays the very next game possible. 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    I keep reading on here that any new signing won't be fit. Can I ask why? Other teams also train and play matches
    We signed Terry Taylor from Burton for a fee but he was still injured from last season & only played his first minutes last night.

Lloyd Jones has been injured & only played his first game on Saturday. 

A few years back we held our for weeks to sign Ben Reeves....he didn't start for about a month after he signed because he didnt have a pre season. 

Don't think just because the season has now started that players are going to be fully fit.

I'll be astounded if anyone we sign plays the very next game possible. 
    I would be very surprised if he made his debut before the season started
  • No incoming players for a few weeks, let’s hope they are playing it cool, and have not run out of money already.
  • I think we need to get some players out before we get any in now to comply with ffp rules.  Not totally sure though.
  • redbuttle said:
    I think we need to get some players out before we get any in now to comply with ffp rules.  Not totally sure though.
    Would make sense. Plus players like Camara, May and Hector are likely pretty high earners for L1 and the wage books will need balancing quite apart from FFP regulations.
  • If Carlsberg did takeovers, it wouldn't be Charlton, just saying...

• Jones played against Aberdeen so had played a pre-season game before the season started but certainly there have been some (Jones, Edun, Camara, Taylor) but not all (May, Isted) not up to speed when they signed.

Some because they had pre-existing injuries, others, like Edun, who'd been training outside the regular squad at their old clubs.

Recruitment does, from the outside at least, appeared to have reached an impasse.

I suspect that this is because there is a wage budget plus a target squad size.

So players need to be moved on. Four was the number I heard (let's not rehash the much repeated debate about which four) and two, a striker and a right wing back, coming in.

I think @Redhenry was given an unnecessarily hard time for expressing legitimate concerns about the squad depth and suitability AS IT STANDS.

The squad ISN'T ready either in fitness or in positions covered. Holden has said it himself.

But at the same time we're still three weeks away from the end of the transfer window, a period that we know is the most hectic and when more deals get done.

I share RedHenry's doubts about how effective Scott's January dealings were but accept he was coming in at short notice to clear the decks, which he did well, albeit using a lot of outward loans that are now back at Sparrows Lane. The January incoming signings however were nearly all disappointing to one degree or another.

I don't buy the "they have only been here two weeks" excuse either.  The takeover was in the pipeline for months and we know TS and GFP were consulting on transfers throughout the summer.

It maybe GFP's desire to be seen to be making the deals that has delayed some transfers.

And then you have some clubs (Exeter) who don't just roll over because big boy club Charlton offer a deal. Unsurprisingly, they want to hold onto Nombe and if not then get some big dollars for him.

Who said running a football club was easy?

Of course, Rodwell and Scott know all this. I don't make the silly assumption we so often see on social media that lack of signings or even lack of rumours means lack of activity.

We shall see how it pans out over the rest of the month and then, the real test, over the season.

I think this is a fair reflection.. I think everyone knows we are short at the moment, but few players need to leave, I know they won't want to be left carrying the baby with some of the players. I think let's wait until the end of the month before making judgement.

Also in January, there was many obstacles in the way.. TS wasn't fully in on SE7, so made it difficult in terms of transfers!