Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    MrBurns said:
    Looks like we have no one signing now for the weekend. Really hope we have a few lined up next week.
    Maybe 1 or 2 will need to move on first..

Out of interest, if you sign a youth player on a long term contract, on a decent wage, does that work for FFP?
     What if they don't want to?
    Then Charlton Life goes into melt down!
  • Leuth said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Being brutally honest I’m more concerned about the defence than the attack. I think the attack will sort itself out but I’m worried that our back three / four are looking all over the place. We got away with it against Orient but we won’t against better teams. Hector and Ness in particular look shadows of last season. Early I know but the warning signs are there.
    Been saying for a while that you can’t expect to concede 20-30 less goals this season with largely the same defence that we had last season, the same one that conceded 66 goals.

Take Hector out and in terms of actual quality, we very much lack any. We have young players who have done well in the main, some completely new to men’s first team football, but that’s not enough or good enough to make the difference required.

Last two times we got out of League One, we had Morrison, Taylor, and Cort when we won the league and then Bauer, Pearce, Sarr, and Bielik in defence covering at times through play-offs.

Thats the standard you need to get out this league.

We have recruited well so far and we will bring in more players. It would be all for nothing if we do not sign another quality centre back because it’s the defence that will let us down this season if we don’t achieve what we all want and hope for.
    I agree we need a couple more defenders in but also disagree that our defence is THAT bad. This isn’t the defence that finished 10th, we had Lavelle or O’Connell partnering Inniss for the first half of the season (with Chin and Clayden at left back sometimes!). Once Ness and Hector came into it in the second half of the season we were the 8th best team in league 1. Combine that with a weaker league and I don’t think we are very far off a top 6 side already. Leaburn and May are one of the best frontlines in the league (yes we need other options), our midfield is one of the best in the league, defence is the weak point at the moment but I don’t think it’s far off. 

A left footed centre back would be great, but these are difficult to find and overpriced because of their value to any team playing 3 at the back. This should have been a priority position this summer but it might be that there isn’t anyone good enough that we can sign that fits the mould. Hopefully there is a PL loan left footed CB that we can bring in, but even then that’s quite risky bringing in a centre back who hasn’t played much senior football 
    It's interesting how quickly people have turned on Ness. He was a real breakthrough last season playing at LCB alongside Inniss and Hector and we were all really happy with him. Then he got injured and had a couple of slightly ropey pre-season games and he's not really being considered as a good player anymore. He's only 21 and he looked a real prospect last season. I think I'd include him in the list of decent defenders we have going forward rather than piling him in with the worst of last season's dross
    He's a good defender. He just happened to have more unchallenged possession than the rest of our team combined against Orient, and he was clearly deeply uncomfortable with the situation
    So good under pressure.
    All we have to do is make sure our midfielders make themselves available a bit quicker and we’ve cracked it.
  • People should look at ythe start of last season.
    The late signings were not fit to play and the majority did start playing until a quarter of the season had gone. This does of course include out of  contract players who had nor played for months. I fear we are going down the same route.
  • edited August 2023
    Something that may have a knock on for us is the transfer of Kabongo Tshimanga. 

Wrexham have put in a serious bid for him from Peterborough and I imagine if they manage to get the rumoured fee of half a million plus they will want to replace him. 

Sam Nombe is the exact kind of player Peterborough typically go for. 

Nothing going on in here so thought it was worth a mention 
  • Something that may have a knock on for us & assuming we are still interested in Sam Nombe is the transfer of Kabongo Tshimanga,

Wrexham have put in a serious bid for him from Peterborough and I imagine if they manage to get the rumoured fee of half a million plus they will want to replace him. 

Surprised they've not given Tshimanga more of an opportunity
  • Something that may have a knock on for us is the transfer of Kabongo Tshimanga. 

Exeter are asking £1.2 million and Peterborough are having money issues. Can’t see them either having the money or wanting to spend it on Nombe.
  • Something that may have a knock on for us is the transfer of Kabongo Tshimanga. 

Exeter are asking £1.2 million and Peterborough are having money issues. Can’t see them either having the money or wanting to spend it on Nombe.
    They pay good money for young players and if they get money for Tshimanga or JCH they will definitely Go in for nombe. Darragh has also done business with their owner multiple times so will definitely get it done.

it’s why I don’t want us to pay for JCH, as they will just go and buy the younger and more promising nombe straight after.

Nombe is the key target for us I think 
  • I think Shooters is right about their financial issues, I think they’ll only go in for Nombe if they lose JCH. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    Being brutally honest I’m more concerned about the defence than the attack. I think the attack will sort itself out but I’m worried that our back three / four are looking all over the place. We got away with it against Orient but we won’t against better teams. Hector and Ness in particular look shadows of last season. Early I know but the warning signs are there.
    Been saying for a while that you can’t expect to concede 20-30 less goals this season with largely the same defence that we had last season, the same one that conceded 66 goals.

Take Hector out and in terms of actual quality, we very much lack any. We have young players who have done well in the main, some completely new to men’s first team football, but that’s not enough or good enough to make the difference required.

Last two times we got out of League One, we had Morrison, Taylor, and Cort when we won the league and then Bauer, Pearce, Sarr, and Bielik in defence covering at times through play-offs.

We have recruited well so far and we will bring in more players. It would be all for nothing if we do not sign another quality centre back because it’s the defence that will let us down this season if we don’t achieve what we all want and hope for.
    I agree we need a couple more defenders in but also disagree that our defence is THAT bad. This isn’t the defence that finished 10th, we had Lavelle or O’Connell partnering Inniss for the first half of the season (with Chin and Clayden at left back sometimes!). Once Ness and Hector came into it in the second half of the season we were the 8th best team in league 1. Combine that with a weaker league and I don’t think we are very far off a top 6 side already. Leaburn and May are one of the best frontlines in the league (yes we need other options), our midfield is one of the best in the league, defence is the weak point at the moment but I don’t think it’s far off. 

A left footed centre back would be great, but these are difficult to find and overpriced because of their value to any team playing 3 at the back. This should have been a priority position this summer but it might be that there isn’t anyone good enough that we can sign that fits the mould. Hopefully there is a PL loan left footed CB that we can bring in, but even then that’s quite risky bringing in a centre back who hasn’t played much senior football 
    It's interesting how quickly people have turned on Ness. He was a real breakthrough last season playing at LCB alongside Inniss and Hector and we were all really happy with him. Then he got injured and had a couple of slightly ropey pre-season games and he's not really being considered as a good player anymore. He's only 21 and he looked a real prospect last season. I think I'd include him in the list of decent defenders we have going forward rather than piling him in with the worst of last season's dross
    The thing is he is exactly what you say he is he is a 21 real prospect.  He had a couple of, let's say, not great performances last season.  He got away with it against Bolton because Inniss was here to take the flack.

His absence has turned him from a great prospect to the best center half in the league (c).  In some people's eyes.  As normally happens with our injured players.

If he plays 30+ games for us this season we won't go up.  He could well have a long career in the championship.

I don't think that is turning on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• how does LT pass the No dickhead rule? 👀
  • how does LT pass the No dickhead rule? 👀
    It's TfL these days 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:

The thing is he is exactly what you say he is he is a 21 real prospect.  He had a couple of, let's say, not great performances last season.  He got away with it against Bolton because Inniss was here to take the flack.

His absence has turned him from a great prospect to the best center half in the league (c).  In some people's eyes.  As normally happens with our injured players.

If he plays 30+ games for us this season we won't go up.  He could well have a long career in the championship.

I don’t think that’s true actually, I think for once his absence has reduced the positivity around him. Inniss definitely ate some of the criticism for the rest of the team but I think Ness has gone from one everyone was very positive about as part of the first team to being considered as a part of last year’s failure which isn’t really fair. I don’t think I agree about the 30 games either, we’ll have to see if he kicks on or not this season but it could go either way 
  • Personally I thought Ness was exposed more at the end of the season as Dobsons form fell off a bit.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:

I don’t think that’s true actually, I think for once his absence has reduced the positivity around him. Inniss definitely ate some of the criticism for the rest of the team but I think Ness has gone from one everyone was very positive about as part of the first team to being considered as a part of last year’s failure which isn’t really fair. I don’t think I agree about the 30 games either, we’ll have to see if he kicks on or not this season but it could go either way 
    He certainly isn't part of last season's failure.  He also only played 15 games, in his first season of first team football.  10 months ago he wasn't a stand out at Torquay.

Let's flip it around, if we signed him to be our first team center half from elsewhere, and you watched all his games from last season, would you be excited?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:

He certainly isn't part of last season's failure.  He also only played 15 games, in his first season of first team football.  10 months ago he wasn't a stand out at Torquay.

Let's flip it around, if we signed him to be our first team center half from elsewhere, and you watched all his games from last season, would you be excited?
    No. A decent prospect, but the way some were going on you’d have thought he was Gomez/Konsa mk2. 
  • Anyone else hearing that Fraser could be out for a few weeks & Campbell 2 months. Probably just Facebook/Twitter rumours but if true we really do need to strengthen our attacking options. 
  • Anyone else hearing that Fraser could be out for a few weeks & Campbell 2 months. Probably just Facebook/Twitter rumours but if true we really do need to strengthen our attacking options. 
    Worryingly... Injury rumours rarely seem to be wrong. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If true, however hopeless they might be, can we afford to move Kirk and DJ on unless direct replacements are lined up? In terms of squad depth, McGrandles is more expendable.
    Seen various lengths of time on Twitter for how long they might be out for. If it is months potentially then it really ups the need for some attacking options even more. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Personally I thought Ness was exposed more at the end of the season as Dobsons form fell off a bit.
    That being said, he was one of if not our best player on the pitch at Old Trafford!
  • J BLOCK said:
    Anyone else hearing that Fraser could be out for a few weeks & Campbell 2 months. Probably just Facebook/Twitter rumours but if true we really do need to strengthen our attacking options. 
    We need someone to compete with Fraser even when he's fit. 
    Leaving him on the pitch last Saturday when he was clearly crocked was a bizarre decision.
  • If true, however hopeless they might be, can we afford to move Kirk and DJ on unless direct replacements are lined up? In terms of squad depth, McGrandles is more expendable.
    Yes we can. They’re not good enough.
  • Think it’s now very clear that the comment a couple of weeks ago that we need to move a few players on is now very much the key to bringing anyone else in. I didn’t think it was 100% dependant but it increasingly looks like it is. A worry because I always thought it would be very difficult to move them on anyway and it’s seemingly proving that way. If rumours of Fraser being out for months are accurate then we really do seem to be injury jinxed. Key player for us. Not one other player we have can do what he does for us. We’ll of course have to see where this all goes but our season could be doomed before it’s really got going.
  • cafcfan said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Anyone else hearing that Fraser could be out for a few weeks & Campbell 2 months. Probably just Facebook/Twitter rumours but if true we really do need to strengthen our attacking options. 
    We need someone to compete with Fraser even when he's fit. 
    Leaving him on the pitch last Saturday when he was clearly crocked was a bizarre decision.
    He asked to be subbed as well...