Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    Feeling fairly positive. As others have said the loans are a real test of Scott but we have to remember loans can be hit and miss anyway. Apart from Watson II and Abankwah our signings have played a decent amount of senior football despite being young. Tedic should help set pieces at both ends and be good for May to work off. Think with Camara and Fraser back the midfield looks lots stronger. Hopefully the defence can be sorted out on the training pitch 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

On paper this looks like good business, just hope the new manager can gel it all together and we can keep them off the treatment table. 
  • Options
    With Payne and DJ gone that just leaves Kirk on his own as fans favourite ..
    Hope he has his hard hat on, it could be a bumpy ride.
  • Options
    McGrandles is still here to keep him company.
  • Options
    So we signed 4 players, a CB, CM, Defender and a Striker.
    The holes in the squad we have all been crying out for to be filled.
    However, because we haven't heard of them and 3 are loans, they must be crap!
    Fuck me, they haven't even kicked a ball yet, but we still judge!
    I sometimes despair with our fanbase recently.
    I've supported this club since I was 5 (now 168), I've never known such rhetoric  before we've even seen what they can bring....unbelievable, but then I suppose some people just like to criticise for the sake of it!
    Give them a chance FFS!
    😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Transfer deadline day: The secrets of successful social media reveals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66656875
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    The truth is we have gone so rogue with these signings that none of us can really judge how good/bad a window that was. Hopefully we've discovered some gems.
    They all deserve a chance, could be good, might not be.  A positive for me is a decent overhaul of the squad in total.  No more Morgan, Inniss, Clare, DJ, Payne, Kirk likely to be marginalized.  Whether or not they’re better, who knows, but I do know that all of the above had ran their course 
    Should be a clean slate for Kirky too. Someone must be able to get a tune out of him at Charlton.

The massive caveat to the above is that Adkins, Jacko, Garner or Holden either didn't or didn't want him in the building.
  • Options
    We are where we are, will never find out but would be interested to know how prospective managers view the squad. At least whoever is appointed knows what they are dealing with. 
  • Options
    68 years ago today, JS was reflecting on the First Division 8-1 away defeat to Sunderland (1st Sept ‘56), the fifth defeat in a row for the Addicks. He was sacked on Monday 3rd September 4pm, and told to say he’d retired through ill health.
    Lack of investment (and injuries) had finally caught up with Charlton. Sounds familiar.
    Pretty sure we’ll avoid relegation this time though. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    sam3110 said:

Thanks Sam, I don’t suppose there’s a text version? 😬
  • Options
    So we signed 4 players, a CB, CM, Defender and a Striker.
    The holes in the squad we have all been crying out for to be filled.
    However, because we haven't heard of them and 3 are loans, they must be crap!
    Fuck me, they haven't even kicked a ball yet, but we still judge!
    I sometimes despair with our fanbase recently.
    I've supported this club since I was 5 (now 68), I've never known such rhetoric  before we've even seen what they can bring....unbelievable, but then I suppose some people just like to criticise for the sake of it!
    Give them a chance FFS!
    Spot on mate. 
  • Options
    We do have a balanced squad now. In terms of quality, we aren't to know. Just a shame the season starts after 5 straight losses!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Did Ladapo go anywhere?
    No Ipswich put out a statement early on that there would be no departures 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The good news is Dobbo and Miles are still here 
    Never In any doubt new owners said no main players would be leaving  .. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Did Ladapo go anywhere?
    No Ipswich put out a statement early on that there would be no departures 
    Bit like ASLEF
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Cosgrove ended up at Barnsley on a free. 
    They could have gone back in for Tedic again so it's possibly quite telling that they chose not to bother.
    Who says they didn’t? Equally, they have a different manager now and may have different priorities or he may not have wanted to go back and fancied a different challenge.

The players we have look interesting and I think it’s brilliant we have a 2 week mini pre season with a warm up game during it after today.

Now Scott, get the manager decision right. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Looking at that you'd say we've probably slightly strengthened in terms of depth.

Defensively we're still weak and we also lack someone with the quality of JRS that can win games on their own.

The new loans feel like lottery tickets. Will Watson be a Cullen? Or is he just another Matt Smith?

Unless we get some real luck, I feel like this is another season of us finishing between 14th and 10th with some good wins and shocking losses.

Rak Sakyi was a baller from youth football but was unknown how he would get on but did very well in a mediocre team.

I believe it was you who said you just wanted to see progress recently and I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately progress to becoming a contender this season looks a long shot unless players can get fit and stay fit: Camará, Edun, Taylor, Leaburn, Fraser etc. And then link up and play like a team not just individuals.

How to defend as a team needs major work at Sparrows lane, morning and afternoon until it's 2nd nature. 

I'm went out on a limb and said it was more likely to be 5 years to get back to the Championship not 5 years to be playing European football or what ever crazy statement came from Sandgaard after that final game against Hull. Even my 5 years to get back to the 2nd tier is looking optimistic But it can be achieved; 24/25 season.

In Professional sport you have to overcome the negativity to make any progress. 
    In amateur sport the same thing applies; you just don't get paid for your hard graft !
  • Options
    McGrandles is still here to keep him company.
    He will stay on the treatment table to save on abuse.
  • Options
    Well time will tell if any of the players we have signed are Cullen/Gallagher/Rak Sakyi types or Levitt/ Matt Smith 1 and 2/John/ Kilkenny ones. 

One good thing about the window is that we never sold any of our "stars" and that the likes of  Dobson, Leaburn, Blackett-Taylor - as well as our promising young players such as Kanu, Anderson  Asiimwe are still here. 

Would be fascinating to know if we actually received any bids for them. Anyone know?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    The truth is we have gone so rogue with these signings that none of us can really judge how good/bad a window that was. Hopefully we've discovered some gems.
    Very true. I suppose we were forced down this route because we have no manager. I’m sure that was a factor for Cosgrove turning us down. Let’s hope Tedic is improving and the new manager can bring him on.