Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    shirty5 said:

Charlton Athletic are open to offers for Jojo Wollacott this summer.

The 26-year-old keeper lost his number one spot to Ashley Maynard-Brewer in the second half of the 2022-23 campaign.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-ready-to-listen-to-offers-for-goalkeeper-this-summer/
    Shame, as I think he is better keeper!
    Yep fully agree. AMB is good, but towards the end of the season I felt his form dropped.
    I would keep Jojo as number 1 and AMB as back up or send him out on loan maybe?

AMB only signed a new deal in March, he’s here to be first choice.
    Yep I knew about the new contract, but I still think JoJo is better.
  • The never popular 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS posts will not be making an unwelcome return during this transfer window because they were 🐎💩
  • swordfish said:
    The never popular 🗡️🐟 PREDICTS posts will not be making an unwelcome return during this transfer window because they were 🐎💩
    But entertaining
  • Can completely understand JW wanting to go and play regular football but I'm surprised Holden doesn't want to at least have a look at him in preseason. 
  • shirty5 said:

The 26-year-old keeper lost his number one spot to Ashley Maynard-Brewer in the second half of the 2022-23 campaign.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-ready-to-listen-to-offers-for-goalkeeper-this-summer/

Personally rate AMB higher, made a few errors last season but so did Nick Pope when he started. Not saying.AMB will be that good but he has a very high ceiling in my opinion.  Jojo is a decent L1 keeper (maybe Championship). Makes sense to sell one for squad improvements elsewhere.

Imagine we will sign a cheap number 2 but if he signs a contract then Kone looks a serious prospect in the U18s.
    That’s what I would say. Wollacott is probably the better keeper now, but AMB has a higher ceiling so it makes sense for the club to back him as number 1 
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    shirty5 said:

Yep fully agree. AMB is good, but towards the end of the season I felt his form dropped.
    I would keep Jojo as number 1 and AMB as back up or send him out on loan maybe?

AMB only signed a new deal in March, he’s here to be first choice.
    Yep I knew about the new contract, but I still think JoJo is better.
    I think most would also agree there’s not much in it though? AMB is likely cheaper and being younger he has more room to develop. It was his first season in L1, overall he did well and this time next year he should be seen as a player who’s improved.

More cynically he’s also another player towards whatever target we have for academy players in the first team.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Can completely understand JW wanting to go and play regular football but I'm surprised Holden doesn't want to at least have a look at him in preseason. 
    Might not be Holden's choice. If JW is not willing to chance being 2nd choice and feels he will definitely be No1 elsewhere then let him go now and get someone else in rather than risk aggro.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    shirty5 said:

Agree should be number one … don’t think AMB is promotion winning keeper at the moment 
  • thenewbie said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Can completely understand JW wanting to go and play regular football but I'm surprised Holden doesn't want to at least have a look at him in preseason. 
    Might not be Holden's choice. If JW is not willing to chance being 2nd choice and feels he will definitely be No1 elsewhere then let him go now and get someone else in rather than risk aggro.

Yeah I definitely think JW wants to be No1 wherever he's playing so he can stay around the Ghana setup. 
  • It is the same debate as Amos V Phillips.

When we were in the Championship we could have both but we needed to choose one for L1. Obviously Dean prefers AMB.
  • edited June 2023
    I think, they would be happy to go with both for next season and I think in truth, they are both a similar level at the moment. However, if we are needing to offload a couple of players for money to allow others in, then Wollacott makes sense as I imagine we would get a good few hundred thousand for him. That could pay for Alfie May.

In truth, I like both but I don't think either performed consistently well enough to be promotion keepers last year. Their save %age was both in the mid 60's (AMB slightly higher than JJW) with the top club's keepers up near the 80% mark. This does need to be slightly tinged with the fact that we gifted SO many sitters to teams last year which the top clubs just don't do.
  • Jojo might want to get back to where he once belonged
    He's joining the MLS ???
  • Wollacott had plenty of shockers at the start of the season. Think both are good keepers 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dean likes AMB and as an honourable bloke realises JW wants to be number one so won’t stand in his way if we get a fee. All sounds good to me.

• Would be happy with either but really like AMB and can only see him getting better and stronger as experience grows. It is every other area of the pitch which needs real strengthening, other than CDM - Dobbo, Dobbo…
  • Would be happy with either but really like AMB and can only see him getting better and stronger as experience grows. It is every other area of the pitch which needs real strengthening, other than CDM - Dobbo, Dobbo…
    If the rumors we are gonna play 442 are true, personally not convinced Dobbo has the all around game for it.
  • I know height isn't everything with a keeper but I do distinctly remember the way AMB set himself up for a couple of free-kicks last year just gives the player so much of the goal to aim at and they went in just beyond his reach. Great shot stopper and one-on-one, but he just doesn't fill me with confidence especially from distance/set pieces. I know we tend to concede alot from range and whilst there was some brilliant strikes against us, a taller keeper with a better starting position would at least have a better chance of saving a couple of them. Ash is still young, the contract shouldn't matter, if a better keeper is available I think we should take them. I also don't think Wollacott is the answer. 
  • Any actual incoming rumours 🤷🏼‍♂️
    nope
  • Phillips is out of contract. 
  • edited June 2023
    Let's face it, a keeper who is happy at being second choice ain't worth having, every player wants to play every game, it's called competition, I thought AMB had a good start when he took over last year, but did fade a bit towards the last half a dozen games or so, and its up to JoJo to show some fight and regain the number one shirt..which he is more than capable of doing...
  • Let's face it, a keeper who is happy at being second choice ain't worth having, every player wants to play every game, it's called competition, I thought AMB had a good start when he took over last year, but did fade a bit towards the last half a dozen games or so, and its up to JoJo to show some fight and regain the number one shirt..which he is more than capable of doing...
    How do you know Jojo didn’t show fight and the reason he’s number two in Holdens eyes is purely because he rates AMB higher ?