Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alfie-may-id-love-finish-8424497

Seems like a nice bloke and type of character i would love around next season the fact he has had 2/3 very good seasons now if we could get our goaly coach in his ear ASAP that wld be great🙏🏻🤞🏻
  • edited May 2023
    Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Dear God, a summer of fans asking for us to sign Stockton and Eisa again. I hope they either sign somewhere very quickly (so I can stretch before the 'we should have signed Stockton/Eisa!' every time they score when the season kicks off), or sign them so we can complain about them as Charlton players
    So based on our striker's heroics this season (excluding on having to rely on an 18-year-old kid from the academy and another from Palace) we clearly should have signed them, shouldn't we?

Both comfortably into double figures for relegated teams by the way...

Is 11 goals, 7 of them coming in the last 4 games comfortably into double figures?
    Yep
    We have very different views on what is meant by comfortably then.

I would say getting 11 goals is not comfortably into double figures - it is just getting into double figures. For example JRS who got 15, got comfortably into double figures. 

I would also say getting goals 10 and 11 in the 53rd and 104th minute of the last game of the season is just scraping over the line.  Leaburn *only* got 12 goals. But he was ranked 4th in the league for goals per 90 minute so did it much more comfortably, in much less minutes and longer before the end of the season. 

Interestingly Stockton was ranked 32 for goals per 90 minute last year, compared to CBT a player many were aghast we had extended his contract - who was 20th:

Aaron Collins who I think we could realistically get if we were going to splash the cash - we won't - double figures in last 3 seasons, only 25, seems to be improving as he gets older and goes up the leagues - is only 30th. But he has 16 goals (comfortably into double figures) and made the team of the season. 

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/108/stats/season/17835/players/goals_per_90/league-one-players
  • It's a bit simplistic to just view a striker on how many goals they score. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Dear God, a summer of fans asking for us to sign Stockton and Eisa again. I hope they either sign somewhere very quickly (so I can stretch before the 'we should have signed Stockton/Eisa!' every time they score when the season kicks off), or sign them so we can complain about them as Charlton players
    So based on our striker's heroics this season (excluding on having to rely on an 18-year-old kid from the academy and another from Palace) we clearly should have signed them, shouldn't we?

Is 11 goals, 7 of them coming in the last 4 games comfortably into double figures?
    Yep

I would say getting 11 goals is not comfortably into double figures - it is just getting into double figures. For example JRS who got 15, got comfortably into double figures. 

I would also say getting goals 10 and 11 in the 53rd and 104th minute of the last game of the season is just scraping over the line.  Leaburn *only* got 12 goals. But he was ranked 4th in the league for goals per 90 minute so did it much more comfortably, in much less minutes and longer before the end of the season. 

Interestingly Stockton was ranked 32 for goals per 90 minute last year, compared to CBT a player many were aghast we had extended his contract - who was 20th:

Aaron Collins who I think we could realistically get if we were going to splash the cash - we won't - double figures in last 3 seasons, only 25, seems to be improving as he gets older and goes up the leagues - is only 30th. But he has 16 goals (comfortably into double figures) and made the team of the season. 

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/108/stats/season/17835/players/goals_per_90/league-one-players
    Collins signed a new contract recently I think, probably would be out of our price range (which is anyone that costs a fee!) 

Sam Smith is the standout attacker we should be going for. Free agent and younger than the other names being mentioned. Also plays out wide so fits into the current system alongside Leaburn. I’d be happy with any of these names but Smith feels like the most realistic option and I’d prefer him to Stockton out of the free options 
  • edited May 2023
    It's a bit simplistic to just view a striker on how many goals they score. 
    No indeed I agree, though we don't see opposition players enough to really judge what else they bring to the game - and either way the currency most strikers will be judged on is goals, and you know that is the first stat people will be looking at if/when we bring one in.

NabySarr said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:

Yep

Collins signed a new contract recently I think, probably would be out of our price range (which is anyone that costs a fee!) 

Sam Smith is the standout attacker we should be going for. Free agent and younger than the other names being mentioned. Also plays out wide so fits into the current system alongside Leaburn. I’d be happy with any of these names but Smith feels like the most realistic option and I’d prefer him to Stockton out of the free options 
    I should have clarified Collins if we were going to pay a transfer fee for someone, like we would have had to do for Stockton last year (around 500,000 if rumours were to be believed). Back then I would have rather have spent that money on Bishop who went for a similar fee.

You are right that this year if it was a choice of the 2 frees, and depending on wage demands obviously, I would look at Smith as that's much more potential there both for development and getting some money back to invest further down the line. I am not sure if Stockton would either want to move down south considering he has never played this way before - but I wouldn't be upset if we signed him at all, and would much prefer him than Aneke for instance.

• I expect Collins will get a move to a Championship side, like Twine did 12 months ago.
  • Why is everybody going on about either getting forwards and defenders. It has clearly been a disfunctional midfield that has been our main problem. I keep banging on about it but titles are won and lost in midfield.

Dobson, Fraser and Morgan together have been ok and great if we can bring in better but a myriad of Matt Smith's, Kilkenny, McGrandles, JFC (when fit) Watson etc
    haven't been better than Dobson, Fraser and Morgan. 
    Henry has potential but making his debut at 16 has probably not helped and at 19 still needs to improve. TBF he still has time on his side and a half season loan in League 2 might help to get him up to speed in men's football 

For Charlton fans who don't feel Albie has improved ( I do but we could get better) then can we get the players who will get us into the top 6 first before having a total cull or else we will have Kaikai and Bogle as strikers next season when Steve Gallen get his fifth choices in. 
    Stockton has only played for northern clubs or in Scotland and only came to life in the last four games of the season ! Looks a world beater against Cafc but...

Back in the hands of Thomas Sandgaard and the saga of new investment or new ownership.

Don't forget we've got a top 6 budget this summer Sam! :D
  • What about Cauley Woodrow? Banging them in for Barnsley couple of seasons back, now at Luton, 28 been around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scrap my realistic if we were going to splash the cash comment then.

To be fair they could have wanted £4 for him and we would struggle to meet the valuation. 
  • That seems a fair starting point.
  • thenewbie said:
    Given our counter offer is most likely a bag of haribo and some loose change I'd say that ends that.
    They've turned down the Haribo as they don't want to talk like children.
  • iaitch said:
    What about Cauley Woodrow? Banging them in for Barnsley couple of seasons back, now at Luton, 28 been around.
    Always liked Woodrow but he's spent the past four years in the Championship, would be surprised if he was willing to drop down
  • I wouldn't bother chaps. Posters regularly mention players we should sign & then get shouted down for all manner of reasons.

Take strikers for example. Some names mentioned last pre season were -

Bishop 
    Stockton
    May
    Collins
    Eisa

And generally we were told that they were either too old, too expensive, one season wonders, wouldn't cut it in a division (or 2) above, blah blah blah.

It will be the same this pre-season. Yet those players will go elsewhere & be a success.....or at least do better than whoever it is we do eventually sign. 

• edited May 2023
    Bonne is a free agent. Maybe we could get him?
    Think Bonnie Langford might do better.

Or Bonnie Parker, good at shooting.
  • In all honesty thou... I would love us to get Ben Purrington back. I know he got a lot of hate but a whole season with no real left back showed but he was a consistent full back and showed under Jacko just how good he could be. A left back capable to play in the league, can attack, usually quite fit (about from a bad injury this season) and probably available after counties relegation this season...
  • the other point with a quality striker, they make things happen and you then can set up less attack minded and grind out a 1-0 when you need one, perhaps a big away game. We never had that last season and suffered as a result 
  • Sponsored links:

• barstool said:
    the other point with a quality striker, they make things happen and you then can set up less attack minded and grind out a 1-0 when you need one, perhaps a big away game. We never had that last season and suffered as a result 
    I get that you need to score to make it happen. But surely it’s your defence that help you grind out a 1-0 on the whole (maybe sometimes by also getting you that goal from a set piece) something we have been terrible at doing this year. 
  • Still think Max Watters, from Cardiff has been on loan at Barnsley, is worth enquiring about.
  • In all honesty thou... I would love us to get Ben Purrington back. I know he got a lot of hate but a whole season with no real left back showed but he was a consistent full back and showed under Jacko just how good he could be. A left back capable to play in the league, can attack, usually quite fit (about from a bad injury this season) and probably available after counties relegation this season...
    He’s solid but hasn’t he now been injured quite a bit over the past 3 years. Dan Harvie from MK Dons would be a very good left back option if we’ve actually got some budget. Jaden Brown from Sheff Wed a more realistic free option. Both good age to develop. 

We definitely need a proper left back this season, even if we manage to keep Sessegnon and he remains first choice 
  • Defence is the priority.  

May sound simplistic but scoring goals we were up there with the teams challenging, keeping goals out we were down there with the teams struggling.  

We all dream of our own 25 goal a second type, but they’re so hard to come by within a budget, decent commanding centre backs aren’t and we need that more anyway.  

Replacing JRS is more an issue than a new striker.
  • I wouldn't bother chaps. Posters regularly mention players we should sign & then get shouted down for all manner of reasons.

Bishop 
    Stockton
    May
    Collins
    Eisa

And generally we were told that they were either too old, too expensive, one season wonders, wouldn't cut it in a division (or 2) above, blah blah blah.

It will be the same this pre-season. Yet those players will go elsewhere & be a success.....or at least do better than whoever it is we do eventually sign. 

But will millwall beat Blackburn? 
  • Defence is the priority.  

May sound simplistic but scoring goals we were up there with the teams challenging, keeping goals out we were down there with the teams struggling.  

We all dream of our own 25 goal a second type, but they’re so hard to come by within a budget, decent commanding centre backs aren’t and we need that more anyway.  

Replacing JRS is more an issue than a new striker.
    We already have a 20 goal striker, Leaburn will score 20 next season. He got 13 this year and he was sub and injured a fair bit and it was his first year of men’s football so he only really started games in the second half of the season 

We do need a striker who can step in when he’s injured or needs resting, and also add goals from the bench. This player and a new winger combined might just about cover JRS goals and assists tally! 

It's over simplistic to view anyone on stats and stats alone.  That's half the reason we got in this mess in the first place.
    Agreed. Stockton also got one assist and was relegated. Chuks got as many assists as Stockton did and he only played 326 minutes. Stockley actually managed to get 6 assists this season - 3 for us and 3 for Fleetwood - and was overall involved in one goal fewer than Stockton. If we'd given up on Stockton at the same time we gave up on Stockley this season we would have packed him off with 2 goals and 1 assist, as opposed to Stockley's 2 goals and 3 assists in the same time period. Stockton had a bad season.
    Oh sorry i didn't realise you watch Morecambe each week

Bishop 
    Stockton
    May
    Collins
    Eisa

What do you think your point is here golfie? Some fans point out all the players in the league who have done well and scored goals. Other fans point out that we're unlikely to sign them due to the cost and...we don't sign them, making those fans correct. Collins would be a great signing, but Rovers want £4m+ for him, which no L1 team will be paying. Do you think it's being 'shouted down' for people to point that out? Do you think that Charlton Life actually controls our transfer policy?

Bishop 
    Stockton
    May
    Collins
    Eisa

What do you think your point is here golfie? Some fans point out all the players in the league who have done well and scored goals. Other fans point out that we're unlikely to sign them due to the cost and...we don't sign them, making those fans correct. Collins would be a great signing, but Rovers want £4m+ for him, which no L1 team will be paying. Do you think it's being 'shouted down' for people to point that out? Do you think that Charlton Life actually controls our transfer policy?
    I think a lot of people do think that...