Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Retained list should come soon
    If the likes of Inniss and Morgan are on it then that don't look good going forward. 
    Believe both have been offered new terms
    If the likes of Inniss and Morgan are on it then that don't look good going forward. 
    Oh joy 
  • Personally think both are fine as squad players. If they are being signed to start then we are in trouble again.
    If a takeover is not happening anytime soon, then it’s better the devil you know 
  • edited May 2023
    Retained list should come soon
    Anyone significant been released @Covered_End_Lad ? Have Clare / Thomas been offered new deals too?
    Anyone significant been released @Covered_End_Lad ? Have Clare / Thomas been offered new deals too?
    I think Thomas may be gone and obviously Gilbey/Bonne.
  • Personally think both are fine as squad players. If they are being signed to start then we are in trouble again.

If Morgan does stay then thats a lot of CM's already, the hope would be with McGrandles turning the midfield into top 6 potential.

meh

If Morgan does stay then thats a lot of CM's already, the hope would be with McGrandles turning the midfield into top 6 potential.

meh
    Would assume Payne and/or McGrandles will be sold if we are keeping Morgan. Hopefully clearing the way for a new first choice 
  • edited May 2023
    Personally think both are fine as squad players. If they are being signed to start then we are in trouble again.
    It would be nice if we had people fighting for first team places. That would drive performances - rather than have one first team player and a dreary second string 'squad player.' 
  • Sponsored links:

• oh yippee, Inniss & Morgan, promotion here we come .... 
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Personally think both are fine as squad players. If they are being signed to start then we are in trouble again.
    It would be nice if we had people fighting for first team places. That would drive performances - rather than have one first team player and a dreary second string 'squad player.' 
    We don’t have the budget for that. Inniss and Morgan are both relatively cheap, definitely cheaper than signing new players. They’ve played key roles in a side that has finished 10th so they are probably good enough to be squad players for a team aiming higher

Agreed, we are never going to have a two promotion quality 11's. If our depth is average league one players then that is fine as long as our starting 11 are promotion quality and not full of crocks.
  • NabySarr said:

meh
    Would assume Payne and/or McGrandles will be sold if we are keeping Morgan. Hopefully clearing the way for a new first choice 

Cant see either being easy to shift, McGrandles has 2 years on assumedly good money as we apparently beat off Championship interest to get him, also didnt the Cambridge manager pretty much say hes out of their price range, in  a round a bout way, cant be many to offer the fee and assumed wage for him.

• Chunes said:
    Bowyer didn't have that, Powell didn't have that.  We are in league 1, not the champions league.  

It would be nice.  We need first team players of the calibre of Cullen, Stephens, Yann, Taylor, Aribo etc  We currently don't have 1, expecting 22 isn't really realistic is it? 
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    We don’t have the budget for that. Inniss and Morgan are both relatively cheap, definitely cheaper than signing new players. They’ve played key roles in a side that has finished 10th so they are probably good enough to be squad players for a team aiming higher
    if only we knew if that would be the case, I'm worried they would be mainstays again. IF we could sign other players first then we'd be in a better position to know if they were to be squad players but we won't so until we see the full squad make up come September then I'm going to be concerned. Other clubs will know they are both out of contract, would be interesting to know what other offers they received, if any. I'd wager none would be from a club that finished higher than us in league one. Says it all.
  • NabySarr said:

meh

Cant see either being easy to shift, McGrandles has 2 years on assumedly good money as we apparently beat off Championship interest to get him, also didnt the Cambridge manager pretty much say hes out of their price range, in  a round a bout way, cant be many to offer the fee and assumed wage for him.

He’s just had a good loan but yeah I think our real challenge this window is offloading the likes of McGrandles, Payne, Lavelle, Jaiyesimi, Kirk who were all ‘big’ signings so are probably on decent money. 

How big our budget will be is probably depends on how much of that we can get rid off without paying too much of their wages ourselves 
  • Chunes said:
    There has to be a balance. You need those star players who turn you into a genuine promotion team. Otherwise you risk ending up with a squad of squad players.

Wiggins covered by Evina and Yann covered by Hayes was better than two average players battling in each position for example.

In some recent seasons we’ve had this problem, we never knew our best XI. It results in too much rotation trying to find the right formula.
  • Could it be that Dean Holden is a better judge of Inniss than our fanbase? Might that even be possible?

And as for Morgan, to quote myself 'fuck it, he's one of our own' - the white whale must be pursued
  • Southbank said:
    That's always the point though, if we make a about 7 or 8 very good signings we'll look decent.

We never do.
    Sure but I guess my point was more that (subject to sales of course) we go into next season with some outstanding youth team kids in the squad, many of whom will have had a year in and around the first team.  It is a fantastic base to start and I hope whomever is our owner makes the most of it.  Go up and maybe the club could grow with them.
    Can I be the first to say, you don't win anything with Charlton.
    Fixed for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2023
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

meh

He’s just had a good loan but yeah I think our real challenge this window is offloading the likes of McGrandles, Payne, Lavelle, Jaiyesimi, Kirk who were all ‘big’ signings so are probably on decent money. 

How big our budget will be is probably depends on how much of that we can get rid off without paying too much of their wages ourselves 

Lavelle, DJ and Kirk. Seasons loan out would be the best we could get. The level of club that woul dbe targeting them isnt going to pay out a fee when 1. They´ll all know we're desperate to get shot 2. DJ and Lavelle will be in the last year of their contracts anyway. 

quality recruitment right there. 

Shake Morgans hand, say thanks for being one of our own and Leuth almost had your poster on his wall next to the saucy Inniss one, but Connor Mcgrandles is the better option, either first choice or back up. 
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

meh

Lavelle, DJ and Kirk. Seasons loan out would be the best we could get. The level of club that woul dbe targeting them isnt going to pay out a fee when 1. They´ll all know we're desperate to get shot 2. DJ and Lavelle will be in the last year of their contracts anyway. 

quality recruitment right there. 

Shake Morgans hand, say thanks for being one of our own Leuth almost had your poster on his wall, but Connor Mcgrandles is the better option, either first choice or back up. 
    Is McGrandles the better option when he’s probably on double the wage? And he’s 4 years older than Morgan. 

I want a new first choice so I’d much rather keep the cheaper and younger Morgan as the squad player and move on McGrandles and use that money on the new first choice 
  • Luke Jephcott released by Plymouth. Had a poor season this year, but has scored a decent amount of goals at this level. Only 23 might be worth a punt? 
    Signing for Swindon I believe
  • edited May 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Bowyer didn't have that, Powell didn't have that.  We are in league 1, not the champions league.  

It would be nice.  We need first team players of the calibre of Cullen, Stephens, Yann, Taylor, Aribo etc  We currently don't have 1, expecting 22 isn't really realistic is it? 
    Exactly. We don't have one, and we're not going to go into the new season suddenly with five Championship-quality players either (and Bowyer had ten). 

It's not even about budget. I'm not saying we need 22x Conor Chaplin's or 22x Barry Bannans. I'm saying anyone we sign or keep on should improve us, and shouldn't just be making up the numbers as a 'squad player'.

Heaven knows we need improving.
  • edited May 2023
    Leuth said:
    Could it be that Dean Holden is a better judge of Inniss than our fanbase? Might that even be possible?
    If it's announced that they've let Ryan go, I'm quoting this straight back at you! 
  • Luke Jephcott released by Plymouth. Had a poor season this year, but has scored a decent amount of goals at this level. Only 23 might be worth a punt? 
    Not anymore. Jody Morris was keen on him but not sure the new manager is as keen https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/05/10/exclusive-swindon-town-will-not-offer-contract-to-striker/
  • Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Could it be that Dean Holden is a better judge of Inniss than our fanbase? Might that even be possible?
    If it's announced that they've let Ryan go, I'm quoting this straight back at you! 
    If they let him go, I'll accept it. I trust Holden's judgement of players 
  • NabySarr said:
    Luke Jephcott released by Plymouth. Had a poor season this year, but has scored a decent amount of goals at this level. Only 23 might be worth a punt? 
    Not anymore. Jody Morris was keen on him but not sure the new manager is as keen https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/05/10/exclusive-swindon-town-will-not-offer-contract-to-striker/
    Ah there you go. But tbh if the club he was at in the league below aren't keen on signing him we should probably give him a swerve.

He had that one purple patch for half a season and that is about it.
    So we'll get him next year instead?