Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited May 2023
    In all honesty thou... I would love us to get Ben Purrington back. I know he got a lot of hate but a whole season with no real left back showed but he was a consistent full back and showed under Jacko just how good he could be. A left back capable to play in the league, can attack, usually quite fit (about from a bad injury this season) and probably available after counties relegation this season...
    I didn't mind Purrington but not keen - firstly we've got enough 'he's alright, not great but not bad' type players, we need better quality.

Secondly, the fact he's been injured most of the season and got relegated isn't selling it!!

(Well aware we probably won't do better, but the point remains we should).
  • edited May 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's a bit simplistic to just view a striker on how many goals they score. 
    It's over simplistic to view anyone on stats and stats alone.  That's half the reason we got in this mess in the first place.

Never has a truer word been spoken:
    Marcus Madison had amazing figures for League 1 but does the black box tell you that the player has split with the mother of his child and is a lost soul at 27.
    Does it tell you that he doesn't like training  and the banter with other players and his diet includes take aways  before a match.
    Marcus Madison should've been a Championship player at least but what's between the ears has stopped many a career.
    I saw Madison play for Gateshead and said we should consider him just a month or so before he signed for Peterborough. He was only 19 then and I knew nothing about his DNA.

Apparently his social media posts would've shown his weaknesses. The computer/ black box might say yes but understanding vulnerability of players it hasn't got a Scoobie.
  • edited May 2023
    iaitch said:
    What about Cauley Woodrow? Banging them in for Barnsley couple of seasons back, now at Luton, 28 been around.
    Always liked Woodrow but he's spent the past four years in the Championship, would be surprised if he was willing to drop down
    Agreed, can’t imagine he won’t get a championship gig as much as I’d love him.

On the subject of Stockton, I’m viewing it as he was demotivated at not getting a move and half assing till the final few games where he’s been playing to put himself in the shop window. Although that’s clearly taking his poor goal return early and his very good one late and applying unhealthy amounts of cope in reality I’d imagine both of those things at factored at least a little with the respective recent goals and early lack of goals, add in morecambe were clearly a better team last season and maybe you get a different picture.

Not saying I believe it either just thought Id offer an alternate viewpoint
  • Scoham said:
    Agree, for left back we need another Wiggins rather than a steady do a job player like Purrington.
    Which type is Tayo Edun?
  • Be nice to have Defenders who can defend first and foremost
  • LTKapal said:
    iaitch said:
    What about Cauley Woodrow? Banging them in for Barnsley couple of seasons back, now at Luton, 28 been around.
    Always liked Woodrow but he's spent the past four years in the Championship, would be surprised if he was willing to drop down
    Agreed, can’t imagine he won’t get a championship gig as much as I’d love him.

On the subject of Stockton, I’m viewing it as he was demotivated at not getting a move and half assing till the final few games where he’s been playing to put himself in the shop window. Although that’s clearly taking his poor goal return early and his very good one late and applying unhealthy amounts of cope in reality I’d imagine both of those things at factored at least a little with the respective recent goals and early lack of goals, add in morecambe were clearly a better team last season and maybe you get a different picture.

Not saying I believe it either just thought Id offer an alternate viewpoint
    I agree that it would factor in for his early season performances, as ‘professional’ as we seem to expect footballers to be, I’m sure anyone in that position would potentially have their performances affected by what went on (though it sounds like he was slightly unprofessional by calling in ill etc).

However it does not really explain why it took him until the last four games of the season when Morecambe played 9th, 10th, 11th and 14th before he found his form again
  • How about a punt on him
  • edited May 2023
    Richard J said:
    Scoham said:
    Agree, for left back we need another Wiggins rather than a steady do a job player like Purrington.
    Which type is Tayo Edun?
    The type we should be signing, along with Tyreece John-Jules IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Edun would be an excellent addition at left back , is Tyreece John-Jules out of contract this summer at Arsenal? Seems like he's been on loan for years. 
  • SE_7EVEN said:
    How about a punt on him
    Would be way out of our budget rage 
  • Anyone on here have confidence in our recruitment process?
  • Richard J said:
    Scoham said:
    Which type is Tayo Edun?
    If I watched him regularly I could tell you. It’s a good sign that he got a move to the Championship.
  • https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alfie-may-id-love-finish-8424497

Seems like a nice bloke and type of character i would love around next season the fact he has had 2/3 very good seasons now if we could get our goaly coach in his ear ASAP that wld be great🙏🏻🤞🏻
    Drank with him a few years ago in dartford just after the season had ended, nice guy, would love us to sign him.
  • In all honesty thou... I would love us to get Ben Purrington back. I know he got a lot of hate but a whole season with no real left back showed but he was a consistent full back and showed under Jacko just how good he could be. A left back capable to play in the league, can attack, usually quite fit (about from a bad injury this season) and probably available after counties relegation this season...
    Could he attack? He nicked a few goals but he couldn't cross and couldn't dribble, neither could he play through the lines. He just defended his post well. 
  • edited May 2023
    There's some proper chuffuns out there this summer.  I am sure we can pick up half a dozen one legged, wrong footed, crocked, football iliterate, football brain dead, underachievers over the summer, whilst ownership, whoever the fuck they will be, fawn protectively over them...

God, I depress myself.
  • You can buy the league's two top scorers and they'll struggle if there isn't decent supply.

Similarly you can get a Stockton and an Eisa flourish if you supply them well enough. That's what got Stockton's big goal return season before.

Or just judge on the goal and types of goals scored, I dunno, maybe I'm over complicating it 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Be nice to have Defenders who can defend first and foremost
    Wash your mouth out. 
    Give Clare another contract and watch him standing still watching the opposition score. 
    Not taking the piss or having a pop but how good should a second choice league 1 full back actually be? 

How often would you normally expect to them to play? 

Who was our back up right back when we went up under Powell?  

Clare played 40 games this season.  That's the problem, in a nutshell.  Inniss played every game bar one he was available for.  Morgan ended up as first choice, again.

The fact those 3 are in a 23-25 man squad isn't the problem.  The problem is they ended up playing every week.

You can't go up with players like that in the squad?  We went up with worse in it under Powell, Bowyer, and relative to the division, Curbs twice.

There is evidence, concrete evidence, that they are good enough to be first choice in a mid table league 1 side.  What alternatives could we sign to be second choice? 
    Exactly this. And it’s just more players that we have to sign extra on top of what we already need. Unless we’ve got a huge budget, we are unlikely to sign backup players that are better than these guys
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Edun would be an excellent addition at left back , is Tyreece John-Jules out of contract this summer at Arsenal? Seems like he's been on loan for years. 
    He has been with Ipswich this year and didn’t get much of a look in. Contract is shown on Transfer Market as finishing at the end of this May.
  • Scoham said:
    "A host of League One clubs including Peterborough and Derby are also in the mix for May, who is also attracting interest from League Two side Gillingham."  :D
    Sadly, unless there is a decent takeover or an uncharacteristically good transfer window under TS, Gillingham will spend more than us this window with their new owners and have a more successful one. 

It's both depressing and draining writing that sentence.
  • edited May 2023
    I wouldn't bother chaps. Posters regularly mention players we should sign & then get shouted down for all manner of reasons.

Take strikers for example. Some names mentioned last pre season were -

Bishop 
    Stockton
    May
    Collins
    Eisa

And generally we were told that they were either too old, too expensive, one season wonders, wouldn't cut it in a division (or 2) above, blah blah blah.

It will be the same this pre-season. Yet those players will go elsewhere & be a success.....or at least do better than whoever it is we do eventually sign. 

What do you think your point is here golfie? Some fans point out all the players in the league who have done well and scored goals. Other fans point out that we're unlikely to sign them due to the cost and...we don't sign them, making those fans correct. Collins would be a great signing, but Rovers want £4m+ for him, which no L1 team will be paying. Do you think it's being 'shouted down' for people to point that out? Do you think that Charlton Life actually controls our transfer policy?
    Out of interest, and I have no clue (but could Google I suppose), how much did BR pay for Collins & when ?

And no, CL dont control our transfer policy which is why this thread is bloody pointless.

@Sage mentioned Sims at Everton the other year. Even mentioned it to Steve Gallen (who didn't have a clue who he was) so it just shows that some people on here do know better than our esteemed "black box ". 
  • edited May 2023
    I think we’re going to have to put a handbrake on our dreams and emotions unless a takeover happens, it’s going to be a long summer!
  • I wouldn't bother chaps. Posters regularly mention players we should sign & then get shouted down for all manner of reasons.

Take strikers for example. Some names mentioned last pre season were -

Bishop 
    Stockton
    May
    Collins
    Eisa

And generally we were told that they were either too old, too expensive, one season wonders, wouldn't cut it in a division (or 2) above, blah blah blah.

It will be the same this pre-season. Yet those players will go elsewhere & be a success.....or at least do better than whoever it is we do eventually sign. 

What do you think your point is here golfie? Some fans point out all the players in the league who have done well and scored goals. Other fans point out that we're unlikely to sign them due to the cost and...we don't sign them, making those fans correct. Collins would be a great signing, but Rovers want £4m+ for him, which no L1 team will be paying. Do you think it's being 'shouted down' for people to point that out? Do you think that Charlton Life actually controls our transfer policy?
    Out of interest, and I have no clue (but could Google I suppose), how much did BR pay for Collins & when ?
    They paid nothing for him a couple of years ago. Don’t think anyone on hear was shouting about signing him up though, had just scored 10 goals for FGR in league 2 
  • edited May 2023
    SE_7EVEN said:
    How about a punt on him
    I've been mentioning all season on the "match thread" when game after game he was banging them in.

Now that Notts County didnt get promoted then I think he would be worth a shout.

But, as I said earlier, I will be met with the following....

One season wonder 
    Can't step up to League 1
    Not the right sort of striker
    Defence needs sorting out first
    too expensive 

Ad infinitum....

• I think we’re going to have to put a handbrake on our dreams and emotions unless a takeover happens..
    But we've been told that it doesn't matter who is in charge as there is an increased budget that has been agreed by everyone involved. 
  • edited May 2023
    SE_7EVEN said:
    How about a punt on him
    I've been mentioning all season on the "match thread" when game after game he was banging them in.

Now that Notts County didnt get promoted then I think he would be worth a shout.

But, as I said earlier, I will be met with the following....

One season wonder 
    Can't step up to League 1
    Not the right sort of striker
    Defence needs sorting out first
    too expensive 

Ad infinitum....

They're in the Play-Off Final, and wasnt it you moaning that Leaburn wasnt scoring the right type of goals? ;)
  • edited May 2023
    Bournesnr said:
    Still think Max Watters, from Cardiff has been on loan at Barnsley, is worth enquiring about.
    100% agree
    @Bournesnr
    Would be a very astute signing. Looked quality but has gone under the radar with a couple of so so moves.