Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Could it be that Dean Holden is a better judge of Inniss than our fanbase? Might that even be possible?
    If it's announced that they've let Ryan go, I'm quoting this straight back at you! 
    If they let him go, I'll accept it. I trust Holden's judgement of players 
    Is it up to Holden though

It wasn't Holden who wanted Bonne, for example.
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Personally think both are fine as squad players. If they are being signed to start then we are in trouble again.
    It would be nice if we had people fighting for first team places. That would drive performances - rather than have one first team player and a dreary second string 'squad player.' 
    Bowyer didn't have that, Powell didn't have that.  We are in league 1, not the champions league.  

It would be nice.  We need first team players of the calibre of Cullen, Stephens, Yann, Taylor, Aribo etc  We currently don't have 1, expecting 22 isn't really realistic is it? 
    Exactly. We don't have one, and we're not going to go into the new season suddenly with five Championship-quality players either (and Bowyer had ten). 

It's not even about budget. I'm not saying we need 22x Conor Chaplin's or 22x Barry Bannans. I'm saying anyone we sign or keep on should improve us, and shouldn't just be making up the numbers as a 'squad player'.

Heaven knows we need improving.
    But isnt it better to sign those 10 and have our current 1st choice players as backups than try and sign the "best" players we desperately need and the alternatives/back ups/squad players? 
  • Can't think of any reason not to renew Inniss depending on what he's willing to accept. He's on peanuts at the moment so if he's on similar terms then I doubt too many people would be upset if we had Hector/a new CB and Ness as our first choice with Inniss as back up (+1 more). His fitness issues seem to be behind him and there won't be many backup CBs better than him in the league. If Holden goes to 352 as well then we'll be even more grateful for a cheap, experienced L1 CB.
    Worth noting though that just because a player has been offered terms it doesn't mean he's going to accept it. I believe Inniss is on about half of what Lavelle is, which must be pretty galling, so he might not be willing to accept what we've put in front of him if it's still low.
  • Is it a fact that Inniss is cheap? Or one of those things mentioned so often that it’s assumed it’s true?
  • NabySarr said:
    Personally think both are fine as squad players. If they are being signed to start then we are in trouble again.

If Morgan does stay then thats a lot of CM's already, the hope would be with McGrandles turning the midfield into top 6 potential.

meh
    Would assume Payne and/or McGrandles will be sold if we are keeping Morgan. Hopefully clearing the way for a new first choice 
    I don't count Payne as a midfielder anyway. He's a good option off the bench for the wide attacking roles
  • Scoham said:
    Is it a fact that Inniss is cheap? Or one of those things mentioned so often that it’s assumed it’s true?
    I can't say it as a fact but my understanding was that he was on a very small contract that was signed when there was a wage cap and he needed to get playing some football. We triggered an extension last year so that original contract is the only one he's ever signed with us. He's definitely got more leverage now than he did before as he's been fit pretty much the entire season, though the 47 red cards he's received while playing for us might make some teams pause before deciding to go for him 
  • Scoham said:
    Is it a fact that Inniss is cheap? Or one of those things mentioned so often that it’s assumed it’s true?
    I can't say it as a fact but my understanding was that he was on a very small contract that was signed when there was a wage cap and he needed to get playing some football. We triggered an extension last year so that original contract is the only one he's ever signed with us. He's definitely got more leverage now than he did before as he's been fit pretty much the entire season, though the 47 red cards he's received while playing for us might make some teams pause before deciding to go for him 
    Palace paid him "off" to allow him to sign for us on peanuts. 
  • Palace stitched us up again there then. 
  • edited May 2023
    Butterworth (Port Vale) looked tidy at The Valley. Step up from Payne and Fraser on the day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think there will be a fair amount of interest in several of our players despite our very average season finish. I think a few will go who we don’t want to leave and some who we want to leave will only depart on terms that don’t really benefit the club. 
    We really need Holden to work magic and not be hindered from above but it just looks like he could have his hands tied similar to this season. Without another JRS or two we could actually really struggle. 
  • edited May 2023
    Scoham said:
    As far as I can tell, it's not a fact, it's another CL yarn. We couldn't afford Innis' wages when he first signed but Palace paid a portion. Quote from SLP: "Palace have absorbed plenty of the finances to make the Inniss move affordable to the League One outfit."

I also recall Gallen speaking about how Palace had helped us out. 
    Just like they did with JRS huh?!

We would have been battling relegation this season if it wasn’t for palace giving us our player of the year.
  • edited May 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    It would be nice if we had people fighting for first team places. That would drive performances - rather than have one first team player and a dreary second string 'squad player.' 
    Bowyer didn't have that, Powell didn't have that.  We are in league 1, not the champions league.  

It would be nice.  We need first team players of the calibre of Cullen, Stephens, Yann, Taylor, Aribo etc  We currently don't have 1, expecting 22 isn't really realistic is it? 
    Exactly. We don't have one, and we're not going to go into the new season suddenly with five Championship-quality players either (and Bowyer had ten). 

It's not even about budget. I'm not saying we need 22x Conor Chaplin's or 22x Barry Bannans. I'm saying anyone we sign or keep on should improve us, and shouldn't just be making up the numbers as a 'squad player'.

But isnt it better to sign those 10 and have our current 1st choice players as backups than try and sign the "best" players we desperately need and the alternatives/back ups/squad players? 
    But we're not going to sign those 10? Or even 5. 

The players people are proposing to keep as 'squad players' have proven they haven't got the goods. I'd rather us take a risk on players who might have the goods, then give new contracts to people who don't. 

I've said this before, but it's hard to get perspective on giving contracts to players we already have. Isn't it better to ask if we would be happy signing that player if they played for someone else... Say Albie Morgan plays for Cambridge and we announce him as the first signing of the summer. Are we happy? Of course not, it's a terrible signing. The fact that he's 'here' already shouldn't count for much. 

We would have been battling relegation this season if it wasn’t for palace giving us our player of the year.
    It’s oft mentioned that we would be fighting relegation if it was not for JRS and his goals. He was my player of the season by a mile, but even if we had someone of half of his ability instead I still think we would have made more than the 45 points needed to stay up.

Just because this current side is no where near our expectations of where we would want them to be, it does not mean they are all relegation fodder either.

What it does show is how some real quality from just one player can change your performances and results. It’s why I don’t think we are not as far away from competing as some do.

I want more, but 5 first team real quality players across the pitch and I think you will see a massive difference.

It’s oft mentioned that we would be fighting relegation if it was not for JRS and his goals. He was my player of the season by a mile, but even if we had someone of half of his ability instead I still think we would have made more than the 45 points needed to stay up.

Just because this current side is no where near our expectations of where we would want them to be, it does not mean they are all relegation fodder either.

What it does show is how some real quality from just one player can change your performances and results. It’s why I don’t think we are not as far away from competing as some do.

I want more, but 5 first team real quality players across the pitch and I think you will see a massive difference.

Chances are if we never got JRS we would of had Kirk playing there most of the season. 
    If the takeover doesn't happen then I wouldn't rule out having kirk next season. 
    The club will probably try to spin it that it's just like having a new signing. 
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

The players people are proposing to keep as 'squad players' have proven they haven't got the goods. I'd rather us take a risk on players who might have the goods, then give new contracts to people who don't. 

I've said this before, but it's hard to get perspective on giving contracts to players we already have. Isn't it better to ask if we would be happy signing that player if they played for someone else... Say Albie Morgan plays for Cambridge and we announce him as the first signing of the summer. Are we happy? Of course not, it's a terrible signing. The fact that he's 'here' already shouldn't count for much. 
    Well if we don't sign 5 it won't matter a jot if we keep Morgan or not will we will still be mid table at best next season.

I wouldn't sign Morgan from another club because its completely pointless signing 5th or 6th choice players.  I would rather focus the effort and resources to get the quality we need than risk another Kilkenny, Davies or Matt Smith on the chance they might be better than what we just ditched.  
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

If we signed a 23 year old midfielder with 10 goal contributions in league 1 this season I think most of us would be quite happy 
  • Sponsored links:

• Will be interesting to see if we sign any players from Holden's past at Stoke and Bristol City - if only as a measure of how much say Holden actually has. Managers usually have the best view as to who will and will not fit.
  • Richard J said:
    Sam Clucas and Nick Powell also released by Stoke. This was Holden's ex club, would there be contacts there?
    Nick Powell and aneke will be best mates in the physio room 
  • NabySarr said:
     Morgan Fox has been released by Stoke so that’s left back sorted 
    Might as well bring back Dijksteel and Wiredu. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Butterworth (Port Vale) looked tidy at The Valley. Step up from Payne and Fraser on the day. 
    I think Claus Jensen is the exception to rule on players that were very good when they played against that were then consistently brilliant when playing for us.
  • Richard J said:
    Sam Clucas and Nick Powell also released by Stoke. This was Holden's ex club, would there be contacts there?
     Clucas  was on 20k a week 
  • NabySarr said:
    All three are better than what we have. The reaction to Fox being released shows he’s a better player than many think, especially for League 1. 
  • Richard J said:
    As said injury concerns but Nick Powell is a good player when fit. It’s still give it a miss though 
  • mart77 said:
    NabySarr said:
    All three are better than what we have. The reaction to Fox being released shows he’s a better player than many think, especially for League 1. 
    I doubt we could meet their wage demands. Lol