Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2023
    In Conor Washington's case I believe his stats tell a true picture of his abilities.

In the Championship at Rotherham and QPR, Conor scored 1 goal every 7 matches.
    At Cafc in the mediocre League 1 he scored  1 goal every 3.5 games.

So the answer to Red Henry's question is:

League 1 is Washington's level and with Conor being 31 in a week's time the Chatham born striker will no doubt be playing his football at that level or an ambitious League 2 side. 
  • Options
    Interesting that some of the Championship worst 11 is a combination of a former player in Washington (I'm not counting Button) who was the poster boy for transfer disgruntlement on here last summer and a couple of long-term CL wishlist heroes in Dozzell and Dack. Maybe we're not the best at identifying L1 players with the ability to perform in the Championship either.
  • Options
    Interesting that some of the Championship worst 11 is a combination of a former player in Washington (I'm not counting Button) who was the poster boy for transfer disgruntlement on here last summer and a couple of long-term CL wishlist heroes in Dozzell and Dack. Maybe we're not the best at identifying L1 players with the ability to perform in the Championship either.
    I’d argue Dack has been a solid championship player the last 5 or so years and has just had a bad season, I’m sure I heard somewhere he had a bad injury??? Could be a case of running behind on match fitness amongst other things  
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Is he a league one player?
    A striker who scores 10 or so a season at this level is the definition of an average player for this division.

We’ve had various strikers you wouldn’t be confident in getting more than 5. He’s better than that, though I wouldn’t want him back. We should be aiming for those with the potential to develop into Championship players.
  • Options
    Washington is a L1 striker.

You know someone isn't a prolific goalscorer when you get the "there's more to his game than scoring goals" type descriptions.
  • Options
    If we kept Washington & Purrington we would have had a better season guaranteed. But due to TS both didn't stay and we were left a striker and an actual left back short. Instead we had to rely on our youth striker (who done amazingly well) to lead the line on his own for the majority of the season where as we should have looked after his development more and several defenders plagued with injuries filling in at left back.

Both players get hate but at the start of the season we all believed the way Garner was actually playing missed a player like Washington up top with Leaburn or Stockley. And early injuries to our full backs plagued our best run in the early months under him. 
  • Options
    We need to unearth a Wright-Phillips to get us promoted. I’d say the chances are slim.
  • Options
    We need to unearth a Wright-Phillips to get us promoted. I’d say the chances are slim.
    Is there many of them about at the moment that you could name? At the time we signed him he was already playing and bagging them at this level. He got a good half a season under him before we kind of built a team around him being our main goal threat.
  • Options
    I would say Leaburn (if he stays) could be the BWP equivalent. Its more of that Kermorgant icon/talisman who can conjure up magic moments that we need, IMO...

... not that the difference makes our chances any less slim.
  • Options
    Id say we need to unearth a Cullen/Bauer if we want to get promoted. Don’t matter if we replace JRS goals and some, if we concede goals like they are going out of fashion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Gone back to mentioning Purrington and Washington.....honestly what is the fascination with ex players? No imagination at all. 
    Tbf it's more likely we go back for old players than any of the decent free agents knocking around. 

I and I imagine most users could do a bit of digging and throw a few names on here that would be good signings, the reality is none of them will happen as we have a terrible recruitment team, maybe the worst head of recruitment in league 1 when you consider our budget and we will always look at loans from clubs we know of and old players.

Same stuff different season/year. We always have the worst transfer rumours thread, full of posts that have nothing to do with rumours, just like this one I'm posting now. 

I reckon we won't spend a single fee on a player and any decent player mentioned so far we will not end up with 
  • Options
    For balance:

Dobson was a good signing, Kirk a poor one with too long a contract. Fraser good overall but Aneke was signed back on too long a contract and has missed many more games than he did the first time around. 
    Hector has ended up a decent short signing despite the screams of derision that he was semi retired when joining. Craig Macgillivray got stuck on his line too much but was the Pompey POTY so could have been an adequate replacement for Amos.
    Hit and miss when you sign players and always will be whatever division you are in.
    McGrandles had injury setbacks and just couldn't get going. so many midfielder don't make it at Cafc that it impossible to name them all but I know a few were called Matt Smith. There was only one Alex Gilbey and he went from MOM Hero against Ipswich to Zero after the crazy two Yellow cards at the valley. 

It's never an exact science. Joe Aribo looked like an excellent signing for the Saints after his 70+ apps record breaking season at Rangers. I was with my son when Pro scouts, coaches and an agent were all saying that looks a good club for Joe to go to, to prove himself in the Premier. Unfortunately Nathan Jones didn't think so and Aribo went from 70+ games to 10 as he has been sidelined. On decent wages so that helps.
  • Options

That was a unique situation - Plymouth on the brink of admin I think, and BWP had just gone through a couple of injuries so there were concerns over his fitness too. Made him attainable for where we were at the time.
  • Options
    Where's the retained list...be good to know where we are starting from, and what,... if anything has been kept on!!...
  • Options
    One ex player I'd take would be Josh Cullen.

I reckon we might struggle now to afford him - having just won the title, won player  of the year and now being  Premier League player worth around £10m

those were the days
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I reckon we might struggle now to afford him - having just won the title, won player  of the year and now being  Premier League player worth around £10m

those were the days
    Absolute gutter that under decent owners we could have stayed in the Championship and possibly afforded to sign Cullen permanently - wasn't like he went for £10m like Bielik.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if Holden goes back to his preferred 352 for the new season
  • Options
    Where's the retained list...be good to know where we are starting from, and what,... if anything has been kept on!!...
    I think majority will be offered terms .. we need to build a squad and not heavily rely on young players next season .. players kept will
    be squad members not guaranteed starters 

• Options
    Swisdom said:

those were the days
    Absolute gutter that under decent owners we could have stayed in the Championship and possibly afforded to sign Cullen permanently - wasn't like he went for £10m like Bielik.
    Nothing to do with owners more to do with a certain striker refusing to play .. plus not sure we would have brought him
    even if we had stayed in the championship 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Swisdom said:

those were the days
    Nothing to do with owners more to do with a certain striker refusing to play .. plus not sure we would have brought him
    Ronnie. I usually leave your posts alone but are you actually saying we were meh about Cullen? That’s close to being the most ridiculous thing you’ve posted and there’s stiff competition.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

those were the days
    Because we didn't have decent owners.

And if we weren't under a transfer embargo due to the owners we might not have needed Taylor to play  lto dtsy up etc.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if Holden goes back to his preferred 352 for the new season

Football should be flexible when it comes to formations and always keep the opposition guessing.
    Play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever works best  depending on availability of players. 
    I still think Leaburn and Kanu can work in a two as Daniel game progresses and he gets use to men football. You still wouldn't play the same formation every week. 
    Plus we need a new striker/forward who can play central or wide similar to Taylor and Grant who kept moving their markers about.

JJ was the 3-5-2 man which was successful initially but other coaches could counter it after several games.
  • Options
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joey-barton-gives-latest-anderson-8411796

We were linked with Harry Anderson back in March (along with Portsmouth and Wrexham I think).

He's spent 2/3 of the season injured so the link makes some sense.
  • Options
    We’re an Alfie May to Derby and a Cole Stockton to Fleetwood away from a total fuckin meltdown in here aren’t we and you know what, I’m all for it now.  

Gonna be a long summer again.
  • Options

Football should be flexible when it comes to formations and always keep the opposition guessing.
    Play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever works best  depending on availability of players. 
    I still think Leaburn and Kanu can work in a two as Daniel game progresses and he gets use to men football. You still wouldn't play the same formation every week. 
    Plus we need a new striker/forward who can play central or wide similar to Taylor and Grant who kept moving their markers about.

JJ was the 3-5-2 man which was successful initially but other coaches could counter it after several games.
    100% you need to be adaptable but I think it's unrealistic to think we will have a squad big enough to easily switch between both. 
  • Options
    Might be optimistic but I wonder if we would be able to get Malcolm Ebiowei on loan from Palace. Impressed a couple of years ago with Derby in the championship but doesn’t seem to have done well at Hull this season. Exact same role as Rak-Sakyi so maybe Palace will trust us with getting him firing again. Would be a very good signing for league 1 
  • Options
    Surely we must get at least 1 Palace loan player after the success with JRS
  • Options
    Surely we must get at least 1 Palace loan player after the success with JRS
    David Ozah ?
  • Options
    Taylor richards from BHA on a free would be a great signing