Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That Titanic submersible

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    James Cameron was on the radio when I was driving in this morning. He had been told of the sound detected on Sunday that occurred at about the time all contact was lost. He also added that the sonar blip mechanism was separately battery powered whereas the comms were powered from a generator - to lose both at the same time meant there was only one explanation and that as soon as they could get a ROV down there they would find the debris in minutes, directly below the point (3000m) when contact was lost. 

It is highly likely they died instantly without any warning, and there is some small solace in that.

RIP

James Cameron visited the wreck of the Titanic 33 times in the making of his film.  So he certainly knows what he is talking about.
    I get on a train to work most days. Doesn't mean I'm a rail crash investigator all of a sudden.
    If you designed and drove the train, and that train took you to a point so deep under water that only two human beings have ever been to it, then I think you should give yourself more credit. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    James Cameron was on the radio when I was driving in this morning. He had been told of the sound detected on Sunday that occurred at about the time all contact was lost. He also added that the sonar blip mechanism was separately battery powered whereas the comms were powered from a generator - to lose both at the same time meant there was only one explanation and that as soon as they could get a ROV down there they would find the debris in minutes, directly below the point (3000m) when contact was lost. 

It is highly likely they died instantly without any warning, and there is some small solace in that.

RIP

James Cameron visited the wreck of the Titanic 33 times in the making of his film.  So he certainly knows what he is talking about.
    I get on a train to work most days. Doesn't mean I'm a rail crash investigator all of a sudden.
    If you designed and drove the train, and that train took you to a point so deep under water that only two human beings have ever been to it, then I think you should give yourself more credit. 
    Underwater trains?

Now I'm interested. Choo choo!
  • Options
    Exactly - your analogy was utterly nonsensical. 
  • Options
    Cameron also has shares in one of the worlds leading deep sea submersible designers and manufacturers. I think he’s across most aspects of this subject even if he’s not an expert in one particular aspect of it.
  • Options
    Cameron also has shares in one of the worlds leading deep sea submersible designers and manufacturers. I think he’s across most aspects of this subject even if he’s not an expert in one particular aspect of it.
    He definitely had a say in the design and development of the Challenger Deep sub. 
  • Options
    You would think the structure of these things shouldn't be strong enough to withold the pressures but at least twice as strong.  It is the principle which makes air travel relatively safe. We will have to wait for the enquiry to get more information.
    Isn't the issue that no one can enforce that in international waters?  Planes have to take off and land somewhere, unless you put two aircraft carriers on the middle of the sea and just flew from one to the other.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You would think the structure of these things shouldn't be strong enough to withold the pressures but at least twice as strong.  It is the principle which makes air travel relatively safe. We will have to wait for the enquiry to get more information.
    Isn't the issue that no one can enforce that in international waters?  Planes have to take off and land somewhere, unless you put two aircraft carriers on the middle of the sea and just flew from one to the other.  
    I think it’s a grey area. Going forward I doubt many people will be willing to set foot in submersibles that don’t conform to traditional and well tried and tested construction. I think the days of mavericks in this field have just come to an end.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Exactly - your analogy was utterly nonsensical. 
    Either way, I bet he would still struggle to make his point against some of the "experts" on here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without a doubt. The CEO was a Maverick and reckless. Tragic!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:

RIP

Underwater trains?

well the Eurostar is an underwater train 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think it’s a grey area. Going forward I doubt many people will be willing to set foot in submersibles that don’t conform to traditional and well tried and tested construction. I think the days of mavericks in this field have just come to an end.
    Whilst you should be 100% right. I don’t think you will be. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:

RIP

But as a Charlton fan you almost certainly know more about trains than is entirely healthy.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:

RIP

Underwater trains?