Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That Titanic submersible

Comments

• Options
    What I don't understand is that I have a Bluetooth card in my wallet and can use my phone to find it but yet a craft travelling 2.5m below sea level hasn't got a tracker
    throw your wallet 2.5 miles down to the bottom of the ocean and see how easy it is to track
  • Options
    Not content with trolling british jews, the ghoul ash sarkar has written an opinion piece saying this proves we should tax billionaires more. 
  • Options
    What I don't understand is that I have a Bluetooth card in my wallet and can use my phone to find it but yet a craft travelling 2.5m below sea level hasn't got a tracker
    Try seeing if your bluetooth works 30cm underwater. 

Even radio waves fail at that depth through water. 
  • Options
    There’s not much by way of communication or location options available at such depths. Quite why the craft doesn’t have sonar ping signal being transmitted every few minutes is something I don’t understand. Why no SOS transmitter buoy that can be released to float to the surface if the craft is in trouble. Better than nothing. Perhaps not surprising because the vessel isn’t even safety certified. Its possible that this craft could have been on the surface for hours yet it has no means of obtaining fresh air. They are hermetically sealed in. The whole expedition if that’s an appropriate term has been wreckless in the extreme. 
  • Options
    I can’t imagine a more horrible way to go than in such a claustrophobic environment with the whole thing stretched out  for days (assuming they are not toast already). My heart goes out to them. That said what an utterly irresponsible, unnecessary and stupid thing to do. Too much money and not enough sense. How much has the rescue cost in terms of actual bunce and diversion of crucial resources and people?  I hope those involved and their various estates will foot the bill at the end of the day. 
  • Options
    throw your wallet 2.5 miles down to the bottom of the ocean and see how easy it is to track
    The point I was trying to make is there must be technology available to track craft at that depth. Why isn't it mandatory that craft be fitted with this

i might be wrong here but my understanding is that the craft wasn't fitted with any tracking devices
  • Options
    The point I was trying to make is there must be technology available to track craft at that depth. Why isn't it mandatory that craft be fitted with this

i might be wrong here but my understanding is that the craft wasn't fitted with any tracking devices
    The craft wasn't approved to dive. I think it lost contact pretty quickly.
  • Options
    And there is a horrible reflection on past times with that. The Titanic was considered unsinkable and turned out not to be, but a big cause of the large loss of life was not having anywhere near enough lifeboats for everyone on board. Flash forward, and while the submersible would be very hard to save given the depth of the ocean ( I heard today that there are only something like eleven vehicles on the entire planet capable of reaching that depth) but a tracer that emits sonar and could be released in case of a problem to float to the surface and give rescuers some idea of where to look would surely not be a dificult addition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    by the sounds of how shite the vessel is made its a shame they don't have a tin opener. 
  • Options
    I can’t imagine a more horrible way to go than in such a claustrophobic environment with the whole thing stretched out  for days (assuming they are not toast already). My heart goes out to them. That said what an utterly irresponsible, unnecessary and stupid thing to do. Too much money and not enough sense. How much has the rescue cost in terms of actual bunce and diversion of crucial resources and people?  I hope those involved and their various estates will foot the bill at the end of the day. 
    Agree it must be terrifying. One small thing and perhaps worth mentioning is that as more and more oxygen is used up there will be a build up of exhaled carbon dioxide. When the balance tips away from breathing oxygen to Carbon dioxide the poor people on that craft will become sleepy and at some point lose consciousness. Still too dreadful to imagine these last hours for them though.
  • Options

It’s too deep for any tracking device to work. Even nuclear subs use transmitter buoys that they release to the surface to make contact. Radio waves do not function under water. Sound waves. Sonar is effective but has massive limitations. Not useful for communication. 
  • Options
    If they could open the hatch to escape... could they swim up to the surface? or are they far too deep for that? plus do they have no oxygen tanks they could take up with them if they had a chance to swim up to the surface? 
  • Options
    If they could open the hatch to escape... could they swim up to the surface? or are they far too deep for that? plus do they have no oxygen tanks they could take up with them if they had a chance to swim up to the surface? 
    he says on a league 1 football forum rather than deep water divers life.. 
  • Options

Because there's no one to mandate it. Planes have to have tracking devices, so do ships (at least above a certain size) because there are regulatory bodies in charge of those.

This is just one private individual deciding to build a submersible more or less because he can. There's not any authorities in charge of that business.

Although as a result of this its possible that a new law or regulation will be enforced so that it is mandatory in future.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    It's bolted from the outside so no chance of getting out themselves. Even if the submersible is bobbing around on the surface they'd have no way of escaping.

And if it's at the bottom, at that depth even if they could escape, the pressure on their body means they'd last less than a second
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    It's bolted from the outside so no chance of getting out themselves. At that depth, even if they could escape, the pressure on their body means they'd last less than a second
    shit. even with an oxygen tank or is the pressure just too much? 

* this is hypothetical cos i know they can't get out anyway. 
  • Options
    At that depth the pressure is so great that they would be dead in seconds, the sub itself would likely implode as soon as it was opened.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if that is what has happened, some sort of mechanical fault causing the sub to de-pressurise. The implosion caused means they would actually be looking for something far smaller than the sub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Addick_8 said:
    Obviously, I am not a deep diving expert but one thing I can not get my head around is the fact the main controls are via Bluetooth connection ( I am VP of Technology so I'm not saying this without any knowledge)

Why on earth, would the main connection not be hardwired in. Bluetooth connections in that environment are going to be a struggle, whereas you will have next to no problems with a wired connection in terms of connectivity. We are talking 30 dollars for a wireless controller when in fact wired, is even cheaper and has a better connection..
    Mind-blowing.
    Because the CEO is a moron, and ignored all advice at every turn by experts, I even watched an interview on the design process where he said 
     "other companies hire ex military submariners to help design but I didn't do this cause they're all 50 year old white guys and they're not inspirational to younger people"
  • Options
    God help all the rescuers in their mission and give faith, courage and hope to those trapped in the submersible who face a truly horrible death if they are not found VERY VERY soon 
  • Options
    Having watched that video & seen how badly this whole thing appears to have been made & organized, whilst it's undoubtedly a very sad & scary thing to happen, it appears to be the ultimate definition of more money than sense!!
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Obviously, I am not a deep diving expert but one thing I can not get my head around is the fact the main controls are via Bluetooth connection ( I am VP of Technology so I'm not saying this without any knowledge)

Why on earth, would the main connection not be hardwired in. Bluetooth connections in that environment are going to be a struggle, whereas you will have next to no problems with a wired connection in terms of connectivity. We are talking 30 dollars for a wireless controller when in fact wired, is even cheaper and has a better connection..
    Mind-blowing.
    Absolutely. I’ve spent this week at Paris Air Show and for all the incredible tech there, you still need a cable with a plug on the end connecting into a receptacle in order to transmit power and signal in these harsh environments.
  • Options

Why can’t they just get a really big magnet and drop it in on a rope and hoist it out that way?
  • Options
    The pressure at that depth would kill you in an instant and in any case they are unable to open the hatch from the inside. It’s bolted shut from outside. Can’t help thinking that’s a mistake.
  • Options
    The pressure at that depth would kill you in an instant and in any case they are unable to open the hatch from the inside. It’s bolted shut from outside. Can’t help thinking that’s a mistake.
    Plus without the right gear on to slow them down they would surface too quickly and get "the bends" and die on the surface.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Because there's no one to mandate it. Planes have to have tracking devices, so do ships (at least above a certain size) because there are regulatory bodies in charge of those.

This is just one private individual deciding to build a submersible more or less because he can. There's not any authorities in charge of that business.

Although as a result of this it’s possible that a new law or regulation will be enforced so that it is mandatory in future.
    At the risk of labouring the point.there is no tracking underwater. Tracking in the term we use it is done by satellite. No satellite GPS can penetrate under the water. Radio waves don’t travel very far in water either. 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Addick_8 said:

Mind-blowing.
    Because the CEO is a moron, and ignored all advice at every turn by experts, I even watched an interview on the design process where he said 
     "other companies hire ex military submariners to help design but I didn't do this cause they're all 50 year old white guys and they're not inspirational to younger people"
    those older white (no doubt heterosexual) men and their years of experience. what do they know??... at least a fuck more than you do mate.

I have hear'd snippets from the CEO and you're right he is a moron. On top of that he could become even worse than that if they are not found. well, he's in their with them but he is accountable.

I'm surprised there's no one monitoring this industry to make sure its health and reg's are up to scratch. 
  • Options

Why can’t they just get a really big magnet and drop it in on a rope and hoist it out that way?
    Well firstly they need to locate it. Secondly if it’s on the bottom the rope (cable) would need to be something like 4 miles long.