Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Isted Signs on a 2yr deal

Comments

• Options
    Bit of an under whelming signing for me. Of all the positions we need to strengthen and replace the dross the goalkeeper wasn’t one of them 

With a hard working midfield and solid defense JJ and AMB would have been fine 
    and now we have AMB and Harry, really can't see a problem. JoJo wanted to leave, we got a fee, signed a decent keeper on a free, back to where we started. Nothing to see here at all. 

Exactly how I see it too. JoJo wanted a move where he'd be first choice and Lee Johnson knew him from Bristol City - we go and get Isted as a replacement for JoJo. 

It's just good squad building. 
  • Options
    Bit of an under whelming signing for me. Of all the positions we need to strengthen and replace the dross the goalkeeper wasn’t one of them 

and now we have AMB and Harry, really can't see a problem. JoJo wanted to leave, we got a fee, signed a decent keeper on a free, back to where we started. Nothing to see here at all. 
    We now have two relatively unproven,  with limited experience,  keepers instead of 1 
    of course one/both may be decent but I’m not convinced yet by AMB , time will tell 
    Wollacott has more experience but not significantly more. His season with Swindon is the only one where he played fairly regularly.

• Options
    Scoham said:

We now have two relatively unproven,  with limited experience,  keepers instead of 1 
    of course one/both may be decent but I’m not convinced yet by AMB , time will tell 
    Wollacott has more experience but not significantly more. His season with Swindon is the only one where he played fairly regularly.

And the one "regular" season he had was in League 2 anyway.
  • Options
    four (go on count em) one time Addicks keepers have been transferred so far this close season
  • Options

I never said it was a problem just not getting any positive vibes from this considering the rest of the team needs an overhaul.

I was also not aware it had been confirmed jo jo wanted to leave, I thought it was speculation 
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I never said it was a problem just not getting any positive vibes from this considering the rest of the team needs an overhaul.

I was also not aware it had been confirmed jo jo wanted to leave, I thought it was speculation 
    As a transfer in itself maybe not great vibes but if you look at "big picture" terms maybe it's a better story.

Wollacott may or may not have been angling for a move or maybe it was all instigated by Hibernian interest. Either way, he was signed on a free, went for a fee (so hopefully net profit or neutral if you include agents fee, wages etc). And when he DID go, a promising keeper came in to fill the gap almost right away, in football terms anyway.

Either he was moved on to make space for a keeper Holden prefers, or we acted quickly and decisively to replace a position we weren't necessarily expecting to need action.

Either of these hopefully suggest a degree of competence and joined-up thinking that's been notably absent in recent Windows.

Doesn't prove anything as its literally one example so far but I think it's actually a pretty good sign... albeit we do still need more, and better to follow.
  • Options
    Any truth in the rumours this signing was down to a massive mixup in the recruitment team? When told we were selling Wollacott, what Holden actually said was “Then I’d like us to sign another ‘keeper instead” but Gallen misheard him. 
    That’s too ridiculous for words but this is Charlton so nothing would surprise me 
  • Options

A lot of keepers who sign at this level are fairly inexperienced, you get a lot of Premier League academy players who have had a few loans or you get lifelong backups from a higher level. We did sign a keeper with a fair bit of League One experience recently, he was even his club's player of the year when we brought him in. Don't know if MacGillivray is the blueprint we want though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023

A lot of keepers who sign at this level are fairly inexperienced, you get a lot of Premier League academy players who have had a few loans or you get lifelong backups from a higher level. We did sign a keeper with a fair bit of League One experience recently, he was even his club's player of the year when we brought him in. Don't know if MacGillivray is the blueprint we want though.
    Must’ve been a descendant of Dracula…………frightened of crosses 😉
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Peterson played more games for us than any other Club he represented, but still only 85. Jim Stannard?
    Cardiff home on a Friday, lost 4-0 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Maybe I am one of the few who are distinctly puzzled at the way we continually change keepers?
    I wouldn’t mind betting that there isn’t a club in the country who has parted company with so many keepers over the last decade or so.
    The infuriating thing is that a good percentage of them go on to carve out decent careers at a higher level. You will find ex Charlton keepers scattered around everywhere.
    Personally I saw nothing wrong with Woollacott and pretty much the same with AMB……watch out for them going elsewhere and doing well by following the trend.
    Message to all UK clubs…….looking for a decent keeper call CAFC c/o Sparrows Lane.
    If you continually change owners who in turn keeping changing Managers and their coaching teams its no surprise that you have a big turnover of players 
    Of course, that’s obvious but I am referring specifically to keepers for which we surely hold some kind of record over the last decade.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Peterson played more games for us than any other Club he represented, but still only 85. Jim Stannard?
    Cardiff home on a Friday, lost 4-0 

4-1
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Scoham said:

No wonder we let him go, his goal scoring record is atrocious.
    Isnt that the average for most of our Strikers of late?
  • Options
    age 26 with very limited experience .. let's all hope that Holden, or whoever is in charge of recruitment, has made the right choice
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Maybe I am one of the few who are distinctly puzzled at the way we continually change keepers?
    I wouldn’t mind betting that there isn’t a club in the country who has parted company with so many keepers over the last decade or so.
    The infuriating thing is that a good percentage of them go on to carve out decent careers at a higher level. You will find ex Charlton keepers scattered around everywhere.
    Personally I saw nothing wrong with Woollacott and pretty much the same with AMB……watch out for them going elsewhere and doing well by following the trend.
    Message to all UK clubs…….looking for a decent keeper call CAFC c/o Sparrows Lane.
    If you continually change owners who in turn keeping changing Managers and their coaching teams its no surprise that you have a big turnover of players 
    Especially when most players are loans or sign short-term contracts. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Of course, that’s obvious but I am referring specifically to keepers for which we surely hold some kind of record over the last decade.
    The other thing is is how many, I said 50 the other day and I don't think it's far off,  goal keepers are good enough and avaliable that we could sign.  That is almost certainly not true for any other position.  Your probably looking at a handful, if that, in most positions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So I have had a chance to look at some footage of Istead - here's what I think.

He has great reactions, possibly not the most dominant of keepers as you might expect at only 6'1" but his shotstopping looks very decent.  His kicking is a bit one-dimensional ie long but I did see a few throws to the full backs.  Looks relatively assured with the ball at his feet but i'd need to see him in action to get the full picture.

I've also pulled a little comparison out of Wyscout.  As you can see there is not a huge amount between all three - and I'm yet to get to the bottom of the "Prevented Goals" stats so disregard them.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl868iQYoTI

ROOMIES | Harry Isted v Lloyd Jones

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    So I have had a chance to look at some footage of Istead - here's what I think.

He has great reactions, possibly not the most dominant of keepers as you might expect at only 6'1" but his shotstopping looks very decent.  His kicking is a bit one-dimensional ie long but I did see a few throws to the full backs.  Looks relatively assured with the ball at his feet but i'd need to see him in action to get the full picture.

I've also pulled a little comparison out of Wyscout.  As you can see there is not a huge amount between all three - and I'm yet to get to the bottom of the "Prevented Goals" stats so disregard them.

Interesting. I would imagine that if you extended that to cover other L1 goalkeepers, the vast majority would probably also look pretty similar outside of the very top or bottom percentiles.

I think that in a lot of ways keepers and the perception thereof is largely based on a lot more indefinable factors than statistics show sometimes. Their decision making in the moment, the organisation of a wall at a FK, the amount of faith they have in a defence and vice versa... a lot of it very hard to quantify.

AMB for instance would have supporters who consider him brave/decisive for coming out a lot, but sceptics would call him foolhardy or naive for the exact same thing.
  • Options
    Needs to transfer this confidence into his goalkeeping. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I mean, what is that? Not sure I can recall a more pathetic piece of goalkeeping.

Someone needs to give me a plausible explanation for what he was doing there. 
  • Options
    Two incompetent keepers.