Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Isted Signs on a 2yr deal

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    wmcf123 said:
    ValleyBen said:
    Don’t think either are good enough.both will cost us points this season. 
    This for me, not currently convinced either are promotion quality keepers, neither was Wollacott.
    We were blessed with good goalkeepers for a long time but we’ve struggled since Amos left 
    Who wasn't really rated either because of the long shots that were scored against us that final season he was with us for.

Dillon Phillips was probably the last Goalkeeper who most were happy with.
  • Options
    I thought all the expects thought he was a fantastic signing

Or was it that Jim Montgomery save he made at May this year

• Options
    What exactly was he attempting to do here to save a goal?

Almost like he's telling the defenders that if they let a forward go past them, he can just let the ball go into the net too.

Awful goalkeeping but more worryingly, attitude. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    mendonca said:
    Has he made a save yet?
    Is anyone seriously able to answer this? I genuinely don't I've seen him make a save
    Simple enough to find out isn’t it? Stevenage had three on shots on target and scored one so he must’ve made two saves.

Same against Fleetwood. 3 SoT, 1 goal.

Against Oxford: 5 SoT and 2 goals so three saves.
    Depends what you determine as a save. I can only remember him "saving" anything that was straight at him and routine as yet. 
    If it’s on target and going in without a goalkeeper’s intervention, it’s a save. Can’t just be cherry picking what is and isn’t a save to suit a point of view.

Does he get no credit for rushing out and getting the goalscorer to balloon his shot over the bar? The bloke isn’t a bad finisher, as evidenced by how he drilled his first shot into the bottom corner from a tight angle.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    wmcf123 said:
    ValleyBen said:
    This for me, not currently convinced either are promotion quality keepers, neither was Wollacott.
    We were blessed with good goalkeepers for a long time but we’ve struggled since Amos left 
    And to think people though it was good that he left.

I still maintain that Amos is a better keeper than Philips, although both were good enough for where we were when they were here.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    ValleyBen said:
    Who wasn't really rated either because of the long shots that were scored against us that final season he was with us for.

Dillon Phillips Sam Bartram was probably the last Goalkeeper who most were happy with.
    Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    mendonca said:
    Has he made a save yet?
    Is anyone seriously able to answer this? I genuinely don't I've seen him make a save
    Simple enough to find out isn’t it? Stevenage had three on shots on target and scored one so he must’ve made two saves.

Same against Fleetwood. 3 SoT, 1 goal.

Against Oxford: 5 SoT and 2 goals so three saves.
    Depends what you determine as a save. I can only remember him "saving" anything that was straight at him and routine as yet. 
    If it’s on target and going in without a goalkeeper’s intervention, it’s a save. Can’t just be cherry picking what is and isn’t a save to suit a point of view.

Does he get no credit for rushing out and getting the goalscorer to balloon his shot over the bar? The bloke isn’t a bad finisher, as evidenced by how he drilled his first shot into the bottom corner from a tight angle.
    Having thought about it some more there was a save against, I think Fleetwood, that bounced right in front of him and it was well held. The type Pope struggled with. Anything else would have been Bruce Grobbelaar levels of corruption had he conceded. 
  • Options
    @Braziliance's video on the post match thread captures a view that makes this attempt look EVEN weaker. Awful.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    wmcf123 said:
    ValleyBen said:

Dillon Phillips Sam Bartram was probably the last Goalkeeper who most were happy with.
    Fixed that for you.
    Nah Sam was useless... He was constantly lost in the fog ;) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    wmcf123 said:
    ValleyBen said:

Fixed that for you.
    Charlie Wright
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    @Braziliance's video on the post match thread captures a view that makes this attempt look EVEN weaker. Awful.

That angle confirms that he had too much momentum going to his left because when he tried moving his feet back to the right his body carried on going, hence his knees are bent at a funny angle.

• Options
    Reid did him with the eyes 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

That angle confirms that he had too much momentum going to his left because when he tried moving his feet back to the right his body carried on going, hence his knees are bent at a funny angle.

Tbf to Isted, as much as it can be put down to poor positioning and reactions, it's a quick tidy finish by Reid
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

Tbf to Isted, as much as it can be put down to poor positioning and reactions, it's a quick tidy finish by Reid
    Agreed.  It's one of those shots that either flies over the bar or looks spectacular.  Isted is clearly covering the majority of the goal with the expectation he shoot across the goal instead of the small gap top right (as we look at the goal).  Would have caught most GK out. That said I am not that impressed with Isted and think it was a mistake to sell Wollacott. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Wollacott is the only one that had some 'presence' in goal. Felt like the defenders trusted him and he communicated more. The other goalies feel shaky and unsure.

I wonder if the club truly believe AMB will be a top goalkeeper and don't want to bring in anyone who will stand in the way of his development. Isted clearly isn't a standout #1. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Same I said Wollacott was better than AMB, people disagreed. I said selling him was a mistake.

Maybe his wages were a lot higher and it came down to that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dismal effort to save the Stevenage goal, I wasn't impressed with Isted during pre season, and nothing since then has made me change my mind.

I did think it was really interesting though that our GK coach was sacked at the same time as Holden, which is quite unusual, suggesting that Scott felt that the GK coaching wasn't good enough. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Really not sure where the negative on AMB has come from.  He is a very decent keeper at this level and at an age where he will improve further. 
    Istead looks poor. Wollacot was poor also which is why he is now number 2 keeper to an aging David Marshall at a team 3rd bottom of the SPL.
    I don't know where all the sudden "Wollacott was poor" stuff has come from. 

He had the 2nd highest statbank score last season.  
  • Options
    Really not sure where the negative on AMB has come from.  He is a very decent keeper at this level and at an age where he will improve further. 
    Istead looks poor. Wollacot was poor also which is why he is now number 2 keeper to an aging David Marshall at a team 3rd bottom of the SPL.
    Totally agree. I'm still of the opinion that AMB is a very decent keeper who has the potential to go on and be a very good one.

It is a nonsense trying to blame him for the goals he conceded against bristol rovers and port vale. Both were excellent saves where the ball just fell luckily to the opposition player whilst our dopey defenders stood back and admired.

Interesting what you say about Wollacott - didn't realise he wasn't playing. 
  • Options
    Or did Wollacott just return from a 6 week injury?
  • Options
    Wollacott was injured early on in his debut for Hibs, not even back on the bench yet.
  • Options
    I can only surmise that exiting Woolacott and replacing him with Isted was about reducing the wage bill. Otherwise it makes zero sense. If Andy Scott genuinely believes that Isted is the better keeper I fear for us. 
  • Options
    AMB was harshly treated in my opinion.
    I didn't see anything in pre-season from Isted to suggest he is better than AMB. I know AMB wasn't great in those 2 games before he was dropped, but I think he is a better option than Isted. In the long term as well, AMB will be the better keeper.
    As a post above said, I have not seen him make a save yet.
    Either way, selling Wollacott was a massive mistake. Dean got that one very wrong.

• Options
    I think Isted was available and when we realised that it was possible to get a fee for Jojo we made a wrong and hasty decision to swop Jojo for Isted. Isted showed decent form for Barnsley at the end of last season but that was in a Barnsley side that were much better than the one that’s playing in front of him now. He hasn’t got the experience to stamp his authority on the defence which to be fair to him has been abysmal. AMB looks to be the slightly better option but I don’t think either are top six GK’s. 
  • Options
    I agree AMB could get a lot better, so I am not writing him off when I say we don't currently have a promotion quality keeper but cannot agree we would have left with 3 points on Saturday if he was in goal, sure a decent shot stopper but has always looked too easily bullied for my liking, a team like Stevenage would have batted him away with ease.