Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    One thing I've noticed with May's finishes....they're usually taken a bit early or to catch the defender/goalie out. Not always clinically finished in the corner. Bit like his strike that hit the post v Bristol R (I think). His penalties are also funny!

Glad his tally is building.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Alfie May and George Dobson were my naps for having a good season.
    Alfie's work rate is great and he scores goals.
    Should be fun seeing him in a 2 up front with Miles or Slobadan and in a 3 with who ever.
    Good players can adapt. 
    When Fraser and Leaburn are sharp and fit we will see the best of Alfie May.
    4 from 6 isn't too shabby in a struggling team.
  • Options
    Anybody know why he was booked today? 
  • Options
    I agree about the bookings but I don’t see how you can blame him for today’s one. The keeper spends ages giving him shit and the ref does absolutely nothing. He then scores and does the same back for less than a couple of seconds and he gets booked. Just. Be. Consistent.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Verbals with the goalkeeper after he scored the penalty
  • Options
    redman said:
    He said on BBC radio London to Louis that the keeper approached him and said “your going to put it down the middle” Alfie said “I know” and when he did, and still beat him he gave him some stick about it, said he knew he shouldn’t have done but it was heat of the moment after scoring. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I agree about the bookings but I don’t see how you can blame him for today’s one. The keeper spends ages giving him shit and the ref does absolutely nothing. He then scores and does the same back for less than a couple of seconds and he gets booked. Just. Be. Consistent.
    If the keeper knew it was going down the middle, why did he jump out the way 😂
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Can almost guarantee that when May has Leaburn up with him (or a striker in the target man mould) we will suddenly see May banging them in. He is a player that plays on the shoulder and needs someone next to him that can bring him into the game with little lay offs, through balls and flick ons.
    Thats my point. Unless you are gonna have a massive squad of superstars ready to completely blow the league out the water you cannot have a player capable of one system to be effective. Even less so if that player is a striker, is expected to be your main goal threat or is your big summer signing. 

He will do better (a lot better) with Leaburn alongside but that will still keep us locked in to a specific system.
    Let’s get a team who are all good at their jobs and play in a way that maximizes those strengths. Otherwise, at this level and with our budget, you end up with a mediocre team of journeymen like Sean Clare who are okay at multiple roles but also not that good at any of them. 

May is looking a big upgrade on most strikers we’ve had in recent seasons. Like a better Connor Washington. Like him. 
  • Options
    Now he’s on 4 in 6 he’s looking like a striker who’s made a good start to his career with us.

We potentially have plenty of goals in this group of strikers - Leaburn is capable of double figures and in Kanu and Tedic we have two that if they improve on last season should contribute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    One thing I've noticed with May's finishes....they're usually taken a bit early or to catch the defender/goalie out. Not always clinically finished in the corner. Bit like his strike that hit the post v Bristol R (I think). His penalties are also funny!

Glad his tally is building.
    He looks like that old cliché the "instinctive finisher" - he doesn't really think about placement or technique, it just comes naturally.

That's not a criticism though, it's a very useful thing to have.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    He was hoping May would go to side
  • Options
    Nice to see him doing what our strikers haven't done for a while. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    He was hoping May would go to side
    Made him self look stupid though
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    redman said:
    He said on BBC radio London to Louis that the keeper approached him and said “your going to put it down the middle” Alfie said “I know” and when he did, and still beat him he gave him some stick about it, said he knew he shouldn’t have done but it was heat of the moment after scoring. 
    Proper shithousery, love it
  • Options
    Born in Graveyends but was in the spanners 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Biggest issue for May is discipline.
    We’ll lose him soon enough for a game when he gets another yellow.
  • Options
    Had a Builder round yesterday, helping me fix some issues inside the house, and outside it after another one had done a crap job.

He claims to be a Cousin of Alfie, possible as they both come from Gravesend etc. but was saying yesterday that Alfie is "only" on about £2.5k per week here.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Clearly i am not comparing our team to Powells 2013 heroes at all - but May certainly fills the BWP box at this early stage in terms of a poacher who is tracking for 20 plus goals in a season. Leaburn / Tedic contribution in terms of goals and overall impact on the team will be key.
  • Options
    Born in Graveyends but was in the spanners 
    Although he was actually born in Gravesend I believe he is from Dartford and lived in Temle Hill. There were no maternity facilities in Dartford in that era. 
  • Options
    Clearly i am not comparing our team to Powells 2013 heroes at all - but May certainly fills the BWP box at this early stage in terms of a poacher who is tracking for 20 plus goals in a season. Leaburn / Tedic contribution in terms of goals and overall impact on the team will be key.
    We could do with one of our midfielders replicating Jackson's form that season too - not sure who is likely to fill that but Fraser or Campbell II seem most likely based purely on their apparent roles in the side.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Now he’s on 4 in 6 he’s looking like a striker who’s made a good start to his career with us.

We potentially have plenty of goals in this group of strikers - Leaburn is capable of double figures and in Kanu and Tedic we have two that if they improve on last season should contribute.
    Kanu has already improved on last season because he'd never scored a league goal until this season.
  • Options
    May is gonna get 20 goals this season

wont get us in playoffs but will be a success 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Kanu has already improved on last season because he'd never scored a league goal until this season.
    Yeah agree, it’s why I’m feeling positive about our strikers. He still needs to keep it up but he’s shown he has the ability to.
  • Options
    Had a Builder round yesterday, helping me fix some issues inside the house, and outside it after another one had done a crap job.

He claims to be a Cousin of Alfie, possible as they both come from Gravesend etc. but was saying yesterday that Alfie is "only" on about £2.5k per week here.
    Got to be on more than that, surely