Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    Not massively worried about him (yet), but almost Bonnesqe with the amount of chances needed to put one away  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    I don’t think he is much of a problem. The offside thing is worrying. Probably best to judge not if / when he has proper strike partner. Looked much better with Kanu alongside him. I’m sure once he gets off the mark the goals will come. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    he's the least of our worries, great movement and touch and will bang goals in for fun once he breaks his duck and gets a strike partner

smashing long balls up to him when the fella marking him was a foot taller was a novel idea
    This x 100
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:
    I don’t think he is much of a problem. The offside thing is worrying. Probably best to judge not if / when he has proper strike partner. Looked much better with Kanu alongside him. I’m sure once he gets off the mark the goals will come. 
    That's what happens when you're trying to force a fast player off the shoulder of the last man. Especially when you add in that he knows he has to get in behind them by some distance as they're not winning a header. 
  • Options
    Don't rate him, have never rated him and this is from someone who watched him when he was at Erith and Belvedere
  • Options
    Izale McCleod had fantastic figures for MK dons and was absolute dogshit as was Andy Gray hope I am wrong but I have followed his career from dot and do not rate him.Ajose had good figures from elsewhere and was the same, I hope I am wrong but Alfie May will do diddly for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not massively worried about him (yet), but almost Bonnesqe with the amount of chances needed to put one away  :open_mouth:
    At this stage would be more worried if he's not getting into the positions. The floodgates will open. Astonishing we've got no pts from last two performances. 
  • Options
    Do we think Lyle Taylor cursed the position on his way out? Don’t think we’ve had a proper player consistently in that role since he left. Seems like something he’d do
  • Options
    We have to go back almost 50 years to find someone who has scored 20 plus League goals for us in consecutive seasons. We sign someone who has done that at this level but, because that was achieved for another club, it isn't worth the paper it is written on. He's Charltonised after three games and the more people get on his back the more they will achieve that because scoring is as much about confidence as anything else. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Bigger worry will be if he stops getting chances. For the time being I have faith it's just a matter of time. His movement and work rate are good and he's getting into some decent positions without always being found by teammates as well as linking up and contributing outside the box. Total different scenario to players like Bonne and Mcleod who most of the time you'd forget were on the pitch.
  • Options
    I haven’t read all the comments so someone may have already made this point but the offside thing isn’t always his fault. Anyone who watches and understands football should know this. The ball should be quicker.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Good attitude, good positioning. Just need more time playing with the team, and of course a goal. Will review in November, we'll know how good he will be by then
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Based on his shot placement so far he's accumulated 0.48 of "on target xG". 

Half a goal after three games would equate to 7-8 goals in 46 starts. 

Let's hope one goes in for him soon - if that strike last night had been an inch inside of the post his on target xG would be closer to 1.4 ish and the numbers would be looking a lot healthier (20-25 goals) so no need to panic and write him off this early.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Not at all concerned.  We looked much more threatening with two up top and once we have someone up there with him we'll see the best of him.

He's clearly putting pressure on himself to score goals as are we all but he'll get one and then more will follows.  Once  we fine tune our lineup and playing style and learn his run he'll be a proper pain in the arse.  Remember this team still needs to bed-in - we'll be fine.

My biggest frustration was some of the offsides though - he's definotely quicker than lumbering centre backs so can afford to give himself a yard and doesn't need to play right on the shoulder.  Again I expect Deano will be reiterating that to him.

Any comparison's to Bonne are a mile wide of the mark.

Final note - he moves house in the next fortnight (not a flat overlooking the Medway) so will be a little more settled I expect.  Give him a chance to get his feet under the table and stay off his back and we'll get the best from him

Good to see he can complete the purchase of a property quicker than we can buy players.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I feel relieved he's at least hitting the target. Certainly not a cows-arse-banjo player. There are goals there. 
    Technically the post is off target…
  • Options
    Think he'll be fine once he gets someone alongside him, he's not a one up top type player.
    Did he have a Strike partner at Cheltenham? 
    Yeah I looked at this a couple of days ago looked at what formation Cheltenham played and 5-3-2 was their most used formation which i actually think would work for us when Leaburn is fit

NA-LJ-MH-LN-TE
    GD-PC-SF
    AM-ML

Only thing is we then lose probably our most effective player going forward in CBT

But we gotta play 2 up front as soon as we can
    The problem is that Leaburn is injured at the moment and won’t be back for a while yet. In addition, Leaburn does appear to be one of those players who are injury prone.  We need another decent sized striker urgently.
  • Options
    Off and running
  • Options
    Feel sorry for him tbh.
    He is not being played to his strengths but still gives 100 %
  • Options
    I’m sure people will say he missed more sitters. But to me, he was really unlucky again. Such fine margins.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I’m sure people will say he missed more sitters. But to me, he was really unlucky again. Such fine margins.
    Was a great block from the defender, stopped a certain goal.
  • Options
    Thought he looked more comfortable and certainly can’t fault him for effort 

One thing though - Is he really 5’9?!? Looks smaller! 
  • Options
    Pleased he scored today, it will do him the world of good, this fella can score goals, hopefully he'll get some service and we'll not drain his confidence.