Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    Quality interview
  • Options
    There’s no guarantees in football, it is a simple but also complicated game with so many variables involved. Players can have hot streaks for a couple of seasons, and never reach those heights again for many reasons.

I’ve got no expectations of May to get 20+ goals and fire us to promotion. But I know we’ve got a player who is going to give it 100%, has an amazing story and slight connection to the club already, so if he does, think we’ve got another legend in the making. 
  • Options
    He's got the makings of a proper cult hero/fan favourite, not just because he's (hopefully) going to be scoring the goals but being that talisman on the pitch that even in bad games the fans can get behind and inspire/be inspired by - a new Kermorgant or Jackson.

(And now I wait for this comment to age DREADFULLY.)
  • Options
    His got off to good start I never see the game but by all accounts he went straight in attacked the game from the off 
    Had a few attempts at goal before he got his first for us & definitely not his last 
    At last we have someone who has that real drive & determination we so badly needed 

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    I had the pleasure of meeting young Alfie today along with his family - thoroughly nice young man.  

He's said he wants to break the habit of non-scoring strikers at the club and seemed confident he would do that.

Fingers crossed he can walk the walk

I would prefer that Alfie May can run the run.
    CAFC have had too many walking footballers over the last few seasons.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    I had the pleasure of meeting young Alfie today along with his family - thoroughly nice young man.  

He's said he wants to break the habit of non-scoring strikers at the club and seemed confident he would do that.

Fingers crossed he can walk the walk

I would prefer that Alfie May can run the run.
    CAFC have had too many walking footballers over the last few seasons.
    It started because I told him I was hoping we would sponsor his shirt - then i pointed out our last few (Inniss, Sean Clare, JFC, Lyle Taylor) haven't gone particularly well and he needs to break that trend - he replied he intends to and to break the trend of too many previous Charlton strikers aswell.  He was friendly, approachable and a proper family man now with two young boys and another on the way.  

He's got a bit of the Garry Nelson abouty him too - cheeky chappie but will run through a brick wall if asked.  The sort we fans can really get behind.  He'll be living near his friends and family so will be feeling very settled now (and no it's not a flat overlooking the Medway)

I really hope he's a good fit for us
    I mean this as a compliment to the lad. Imagine being a striker arriving here and knowing if you show the right attitude, give 100% and score some goals you are going to be worshiped by fans that have been starved of those traits for so long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He doesn't appear to be a solid penalty taker. Would you put/keep him on penalty duty? 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He doesn't appear to be a solid penalty taker. Would you put/keep him on penalty duty? 
    Wasn't convinced by his placement of the 2 pens. Didn't seem to have decisiveness or conviction when making his approach.

Seemed to telegraph his placement to the keeper, and both times the keeper read May's body language.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Let him keep it for now but have Fraser maintain practice too just in case...
  • Options
    He needs to practice a bit of guise on the training ground and all be good.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    At the moment no. I'd rather have the guy who did the cross bar challenge from the half way line v Ipswich last season on them. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    As a striker at the age of 30 you'd really think he'd either know how to take a good pen or he never will! Hopefully just a preseason thing but have a good feeling about him becoming a firm favourite here.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    As a striker at the age of 30 you'd really think he'd either know how to take a good pen or he never will! Hopefully just a preseason thing but have a good feeling about him becoming a firm favourite here.
    LT's penalties only improved after his run up changed, he was 29 I think. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Are there both on and off the field parallels between Alfie May and Jamie Vardy?

Both are all action strikers who shoot on sight, defend from the front and take every opportunity to run in behind. Both were rejected early in their careers as they were deemed too small for pro football - Vardy at Wednesday and May at Millwall. Both had to find full time jobs while playing non league - Vardy worked in a factory and May was a chippy. Both  made their League debuts when they were relatively old - Vardy was 25 when Leicester signed him and May was 23 when he joined Doncaster. 

It's not just success that drives some footballers. It can be knowing what failure looks and feels like. It's that hunger not to be in that same position again that ultimately makes some find a higher ceiling than more fortunate and even more gifted players do. 
  • Options
    Let's hope the team around him play to his strengths. So far really like the fella, and hope he has a really good season.
  • Options
    Kind of terrified he's going to get injured
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The recent law of Charlton suggests he'll either get injured now

Or he'll go off 10-minutes into the first game Leaburn returns, and after what looks a flourishing partnership between them
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The recent law of Charlton suggests he'll either get injured now

Or he'll go off 10-minutes into the first game Leaburn returns, and after what looks a flourishing partnership between them
    I'm so prepared for disappointment as a Charlton fan now that what I took from this was genuine brief joy at the idea of it looking like we might have a good set of strikers for 10 minutes. I need a different life.
  • Options
    Hmmm
  • Options
    First game where I've had serious doubts. 

Made the comparison of Simon Church but at least May has a stronger shot. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Think he'll be fine once he gets someone alongside him, he's not a one up top type player.