Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    No May or Lloyd against Dartford 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    No May or Lloyd against Dartford 
    Gutting, injured in the photoshoot?
  • Options
    I'm pleased Alfie May is not playing, Chuks and Miles are injured, can we afford an injury to our last remaining striker? 
  • Options
    FSLN1 said:
    I'm pleased Alfie May is not playing, Chuks and Miles are injured, can we afford an injury to our last remaining striker? 
    Be great preparation going through pre season unable to play a striker. 
  • Options
    FSLN1 said:
    It's not important for today's match.

These first couple of pre-season matches are just squad training games, with the focus on fitness.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    FSLN1 said:

These first couple of pre-season matches are just squad training games, with the focus on fitness.

Agreed but the issue still going to be there afterwards. Could say the same about Egbo at FB 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    FSLN1 said:

And we'd quite like May to get up to.match fitness.
  • Options
    Makes sense really, he's not even properly met/trained with any of the other players and no disrespect to Dartford but we're not going to learn much from a game there, certainly not this early in preseason.

Give him time, get him up to speed and then he can and will be featuring in games. I'm sure he'll play next week.
  • Options
    Didn’t realise he was 30 so hopefully not past his peak but with this being Charlton , let me think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    On a train down from Hartlepool to London so with nothing better to do, I've watched all of May's goals for Cheltenham.

First impression: this is a man who has a relentless pursuit of a goal. Poacher, long range, edge of area, cut in and shoot - when he gets the ball he seems to make this INSTANT decision to go for goal. Because he is The Striker (capitalised as I reckon Cheltenham basically built around him as their attacking focal point).

To go for goal that much you need to be confident. To score that many you need to be competent, and ruthless in latching on to mistakes. And he really is ruthless - a lapse from the defence and he goes straight for the jugular. Lovely. 

I'd like to see more of his build up play - how he interacts with the team around him. But I know he works incredibly hard, has a good turn of foot (the amount of goals he scores looking like he's offside is testament to that), and doesn't hide. 

Scores with both feet in that video, which to me is a hugely positive sign. Not loads of dustbin goals either. But I rate his movement into channels; into the box; creating space outside it; and finding space when within tight marking situations in the area.

I reckon we have made about as good a striker signing as is possible. Welcome Alfie, and here's hoping he can pick up where he left off. I think we may need to model around him to get the best we can out of him, but in any case... can't have any complaints about the signing. If it doesn't pan out then... well, you can't exactly blame the decision to SIGN him based on his record of late.

Great post Paddy, my work here is done.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    seth plum said:
    I first became conscious of May when the brilliantly managed Cheltenham under Michael Duff won at the Valley on the 11th September 2021. Leko scored for us, but Blair and Perry had scored earlier for Cheltenham. May didn’t score. Alfie May assisted the Blair goal after six minutes.
    On paper we were far the better team, but once in front Cheltenham packed the last third leaving May up top on his own with more or less half the Valley pitch to cover.
    Cheltenham consistently played balls out wide to virtually the very touch line, and 95% of the time it would be to a very willing Alfie May. This was in seeing out the game built on the lead they established.
    May was waspish, gave everything, and wanted his team to get those points more than he wanted personal glory.
    Since then I have followed his football with admiration, and am delighted we’ve signed him.

I was at that game and we were 2-0 down at HT and if it wasn't for Craig Macgillivray we would've been 4-0 down we were so bad.
    We were set up so rigid, Cheltenham just passed between the lines. Nigel Adkins did change it up at HT for the 1-2 defeat but a brave manager would've made the switch earlier as we were shocking and lucky to only be 2 down.
    Didn't Lavelle play in that game and look off the pace ?
    I remember Leko scoring and May's movement.
    I believe Duff set up more defensive in 2nd half and there wasn't the space for Cafc to utilize.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I first became conscious of May when the brilliantly managed Cheltenham under Michael Duff won at the Valley on the 11th September 2021. Leko scored for us, but Blair and Perry had scored earlier for Cheltenham. May didn’t score. Alfie May assisted the Blair goal after six minutes.
    On paper we were far the better team, but once in front Cheltenham packed the last third leaving May up top on his own with more or less half the Valley pitch to cover.
    Cheltenham consistently played balls out wide to virtually the very touch line, and 95% of the time it would be to a very willing Alfie May. This was in seeing out the game built on the lead they established.
    May was waspish, gave everything, and wanted his team to get those points more than he wanted personal glory.
    Since then I have followed his football with admiration, and am delighted we’ve signed him.

I was at that game and we were 2-0 down at HT and if it wasn't for Craig Macgillivray we would've been 4-0 down we were so bad.
    We were set up so rigid, Cheltenham just passed between the lines. Nigel Adkins did change it up at HT for the 1-2 defeat but a brave manager would've made the switch earlier as we were shocking and lucky to only be 2 down.
    Didn't Lavelle play in that game and look off the pace ?
    I remember Leko scoring and May's movement.
    I believe Duff set up more defensive in 2nd half and there wasn't the space for Cafc to utilize.
    Lavelle off the pace. That was every game  he played wasn’t it.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    seth plum said:
    I was transfixed watching/listening to that.
    Momentarily it took me back to my childhood.
    Is that George Martin in the background on the mixer?
  • Options
    I reckon it is George Martin, with Burt on the piano too.
  • Options
    Oh, and welcome to The Valley Alfie, and good luck.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I reckon it is George Martin, with Burt on the piano too.
    With those two in the studio they must have been working to a tight budget 😂
  • Options
    If you're not excited yet..

https://youtu.be/Yt7clqth9bo
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Proper striker. Knows how to finish. Did Cheltenham play with a big bloke up top with him? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Proper striker. Knows how to finish. Did Cheltenham play with a big bloke up top with him? 
    In the vast majority of Cheltenham’s games he was in a pair up top as they played 3-5-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

In the vast majority of Cheltenham’s games he was in a pair up top as they played 3-5-2.
    We don’t have the players for 433, as was shown last season.  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It was the best formation with the players we had, the issue was the squad wasn’t good enough.
  • Options
    “Late Thursday afternoon I got the call it was finally done. I was always confident but there were other big clubs circling.”

.........and Gillingham ;)
  • Options
    “Late Thursday afternoon I got the call it was finally done. I was always confident but there were other big caravans circling.”

.........corrected

• Options
    “Late Thursday afternoon I got the call it was finally done. I was always confident but there were rundown and grotty caravans circling.”

.........corrected

Proof read.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It was the best formation with the players we had, the issue was the squad wasn’t good enough.
    Both our our statements are correct 
  • Options
    If Alfie May's partner comes from Doncaster, then living in Gillingham😱 would've been akin to living in the south of France 😎🤥

• Options
    If Alfie May's partner comes from Doncaster, then living in Gillingham😱 would've been akin to living in the south of France 😎🤥
    Yeah, but a Marseille slum, not Saint-Tropez.
  • Options
    Only watched the opening 26 goals of the Youtube video but couldn't help notice that he didn't appear to head the ball once.

Should I be concerned?
  • Options
    He will be the target man for set pieces so defenders don’t notice Jack Payne.