Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    Think he'll be fine once he gets someone alongside him.
    I hope so
  • Options
    Think he'll be fine once he gets someone alongside him, he's not a one up top type player.
    Did he have a Strike partner at Cheltenham? 
  • Options
    Offside all the time. I'm really not sure.

Player in there. But knowing us, we won't play to his strengths
  • Options
    And some service.

He's low on the list of problems for me.  Unlucky that one of the post didn't go in too.
  • Options
    Once he gets some support and he gets one, the flood gates will open
  • Options
    Can’t believe he scored 20 goals last season. Nothing against his work-rate, but don’t have the composure of other good Charlton strikers of the past. 

Example, first minute he passes to Payne in a poor position, when on the 18 yard box and has a clear chance for a shot on target. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Offside all the time. I'm really not sure.

Player in there. But knowing us, we won't play to his strengths
    That's the worry.
  • Options
    Think he'll be fine once he gets someone alongside him, he's not a one up top type player.
    Can only speak for the final game against us but I'm sure he did then.
  • Options
    Can’t believe he scored 20 goals last season. Nothing against his work-rate, but don’t have the composure of other good Charlton strikers of the past. 

Example, first minute he passes to Payne in a poor position, when on the 18 yard box and has a clear chance for a shot on target. 
    Scored three goals in his first 12-games last season

Started the season really looking like a one season wonder last year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’ll be fine. Needs one to go in off his knee.
    but also needs someone up with him.
    so bloody obvious it’s the same every week

• Options
    Not concerned about him , he just needs supply and a strike partner. He'll be absolutely fine in the long run. 
  • Options
    Has to score there. Shocking miss
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Not concerned about him , he just needs supply and a strike partner. He'll be absolutely fine in the long run. 
    Yes, our “billionaire” owners are literally falling over themselves to get some platers in…
  • Options
    Should have had a couple of tap ins in the first half. Was in a great position but Payne and then CBT failed to find him. Our problem has never been just about the strikers, it’s always been as much, if not more, about the players supposed to provide teh assists. We get into lots of great positions but so often squander them without even getting as far as actually having a shot. 
  • Options
    Alfie is the very least of our problems. Unlucky with the one that hit the post but at least he shot unlike Camara first half when it opened up for him and he passed it. As said, least of our problems.
  • Options
    Reminds me of Ajose a bit. Hopefully there’s a happier ending.
  • Options
    Was much better with Kanu alongside him, I think he'll be fine 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As soon as Kanu came on, Alfie was able to stay on side.
    No hanging on the shoulder of the last defender.
    it felt like we actually had a chance of retaining the ball when we got forward.
    couple of signings and he’ll be a different player.
  • Options
    I thought he was awful. 
    Very little skill and a complete lack of composure. 
    And what  about the free kick, has it come down to earth yet?

• Options
    Sure his name isn’t Mayo instead of May, as he seems to be cursed.
  • Options
    May is our top scorer and behind Dobson , was that a shot that up and under , and possibly CBT he’s our 3rd best player .

I like him a lot 
  • Options
    What I really don't understand is why people suddenly believe that he isn't the striker he was last season? Same division and he scored 22 times for a team that finished six places below us. That included goals as well as against us (2), Plymouth (2), Derby (1), Wednesday (1), Peterborough (3), Ipswich (1) and Wycombe (2) - that's 12 goals against sides in the top 10 of which 4 were against the three promoted sides. 

Even Killer used to miss sitters. It's an occupational hazard of a striker. Equally, last season he scored one in his first seven matches. The only thing that will stop him will be a lack of service or a complete loss of confidence due to being Charltonised. He also doesn't score the same goals and I would encourage anyone who has doubts about him to look at these and specifically the ones from last season:

https://youtu.be/Yt7clqth9bo
  • Options
    Yeah I looked at this a couple of days ago looked at what formation Cheltenham played and 5-3-2 was their most used formation which i actually think would work for us when Leaburn is fit

NA-LJ-MH-LN-TE
    GD-PC-SF
    AM-ML

Only thing is we then lose probably our most effective player going forward in CBT

But we gotta play 2 up front as soon as we can
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Once he gets some support and he gets one, the flood gates will open
    Ffs, it's incredible, the geezer knows where the goal is, the stats show that.
    If we are not accommodating him, goals will be a problem.
    Alfie May is a goalscorer, he'll get goals if supplied.
  • Options

Righto, the geezer got lucky for two seasons.