Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    Been nominated for player of the month for october
  • Options
    Please don’t win it!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Up against Jordan Gibson (Carlisle), Luke Leahy (Wycombe) and Conor Shaughnessy (Portsmouth). It would be his third time winning the award after previously winning in February 2022 and March 2023.

If he wins, he would be the first Charlton player to win since Ben Amos in October 2020. Prior to Amos, Jacko in January 2012. We didn't have any winners in the 2018-19 promotion season.

Manager nominees are Darrell Clarke (Cheltenham), Neill Collins (Barnsley), Ian Evatt (Bolton) and John Mousinho (Portsmouth). If you believe in the curse, pin your hopes on the Pompey double. :-)
  • Options
    Well deserved win. Alfie is trying to drag us to the championship single handedly. 
  • Options
    Well done Alfie 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Well done and well deserved Alfie, now go get the next one!!
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    Well deserved win. Alfie is trying to drag us to the championship single handedly. 
    Harsh on Blackett-Taylor 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    12 in his last 12 but 12 in 15 League 1 appearances this season. Pro rata, if he were to carry on at that rate then Alfie would end up with another 24 in the remaining 30 games making it 36 in total for the season. And unless I'm mistaken that would be a Club record. He can't do that. Can he? 
  • Options
    His goal probably showed the type of player he is yesterday. 

Had absolutely no business being allowed to get a strike on goal given the way he got on to the end of thst through ball

Great finish, the 'keeper will probably get stick, but whats the betting that May deliberately deflected the ball off Norris, making it harder to save, and to get it on target. 
  • Options
    This might sound daft , but is Alfie the best pure finisher we've had since Darren Bent? Just seems to score all types of goals. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    This might sound daft , but is Alfie the best pure finisher we've had since Darren Bent? Just seems to score all types of goals. 
    Taylor
    Wright Phillips 
    Hunt
    Mendonca
    Hales
    Flanagan
    Horsfield
  • Options
    BWP was not a great finisher I don’t think. He has that obsessive ‘always get it on target’ ethos which meant he hit the keeper a lot. Good player, very good all round in terms of getting into the right areas and when he was on a streak he was deadly but god did he waste chances. That’s why he could never do it at Championship level; the fewer the chances, the less margin for error and he did love an error. Even in his 22 goal season he didn’t score between November and the end of February 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I think he is less a finisher and more of a true goal scorer, the difference being he is someone who is not afraid to try and score and the law of averages means the more attempts you have the more likely it is one of them will go in. He misses with a lot of attempts but like a great goal scorer it doesn’t doesn’t dent his confidence or stop him from trying again, and again, and again. 

• Options
    His goal yesterday was surely deflected?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    it’s his attitude I love. Obviously he’s a great finisher etc but he never stops running and he is so passionate about the team. I saw him tweet to congratulate someone at Cheltenham scoring recently which I loved because it shows he makes genuine connections. It’s not just a job to him
    Agreed. I know it was arguably a bit naive and generally I want a striker who’s primarily about getting goals but I loved the business of giving that pen to chuks to try and get him up and running. He understands it’s a team game and getting more belief, work rate, spirit, togetherness and just form out of everyone around him is going to make both him and the team play better. 
  • Options
    + I actually don’t think it was that naive as chuks is generally fine at pens 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Taylor
    Wright Phillips 
    Hunt
    Mendonca
    Hales
    Flanagan
    Horsfield
    Great list.
    I would also add Melrose 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Taylor
    Wright Phillips 
    Hunt
    Mendonca
    Hales
    Flanagan
    Horsfield
    Great list.
    I would also add Melrose 
    And the sadly departed David Whyte probably too
  • Options
    Why is everybody mentioning their age and then love for Alfie May?! There are apps for that kinda thing.
  • Options
    12 in his last 12 but 12 in 15 League 1 appearances this season. Pro rata, if he were to carry on at that rate then Alfie would end up with another 24 in the remaining 30 games making it 36 in total for the season. And unless I'm mistaken that would be a Club record. He can't do that. Can he? 
    No. And that’s not me being negative or doubting his ability, because I think he’s incredible, but it rarely works out like that.
  • Options

We have a genuine gold standard striker for this level. We have a player like Leaburn to provide the physical / alternative threat. We have midfielders like Dobson, Watson, Fraser, and wingers like CBT. Two solid Center backs and who are forming a partnership.

But for so many years we have said we needed a 20 goal a season striker. 

We still don’t have one….. we have a 30 goal a season striker instead.

If we don’t easily get in the play offs I think it would be a grotesque failure taking in to account all the above.
    Absolutely spot on mate. 

Although I think we will know a lot more about our chances after the next 3 games. MA seems to have added a bit more attitude to the squad hopefully that will mean we will beat the teams we should beat this season. The last few seasons it hasn’t been the performances against the top end of the table that cost us has it ?it’s the points dropped versus teams we should muller