Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Not to derail the conversation further but Lloyd Jones has been excellent lately IMO. Hopefully now Edun is back, plus Tennai approaching 90 minute levels of fitness on the other side, we can start to see the benefits of a settled back line. Ash is only improving under Apples and Henderson, too.

Wouldn’t be against some competition for Hector in the January window though…
  • Options
    I always planned on naming my child May if it was a girl, now if I have one I am calling them Alfie May, boy or girl 
  • Options
    Not to derail the conversation further but Lloyd Jones has been excellent lately IMO. Hopefully now Edun is back, plus Tennai approaching 90 minute levels of fitness on the other side, we can start to see the benefits of a settled back line. Ash is only improving under Apples and Henderson, too.

Wouldn’t be against some competition for Hector in the January window though…
    I’m hoping we bring in a left back in January as well as a CB.
  • Options
    This season we've been averaging 1.69 goals per game whereas last season it was 1.52 per game. The difference and more is Alfie but that, in itself, becomes a problem if there is a time when he has a barren period as his 12 goals represent 44.44% of the team's total. If we were to then add CBT's contribution (5) then those two between them contribute more than three in five. Bar Leaburn (3) and the absent Kanu (2) and Aneke (1) the rest of the squad has managed just four goals between them.

So, Alfie is a massive strength and I'm sure that the number of times I've waxed lyrically about him people will accept that I am not trying to undermine his achievements. But an over reliance on him becomes a weakness if others don't step up. Ipswich, for example, have scored in every one of their last 35 matches in all competitions and are netting at the rate of 2.25 goals per game in the Championship. And yet their top scorer has 6 goals which equates to just 16.67% and they have had 14 different scorers to date. Yes CBT and Leaburn in the current side will chip in but who else will score regularly?  
  • Options
    Did I read somewhere that Andy Scott didn't want May? Big red flag if true.
  • Options
    Nope?
  • Options
    There were a few rumours in the summer that Scott or Holden did or didn’t want May.
  • Options
    Depending on who you believe, there were various stories that Holden/Scott/Methven did/didn't rate May or we couldn't have afforded him without a conveniently timed sponsorship deal.

It's very hard to know how much (if any) of that is true and probably counter productive now to try and pick over it. We DID sign him and thank your Deity of choice that we did.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Depending on who you believe, there were various stories that Holden/Scott/Methven did/didn't rate May or we couldn't have afforded him without a conveniently timed sponsorship deal.

It's very hard to know how much (if any) of that is true and probably counter productive now to try and pick over it. We DID sign him and thank your Deity of choice that we did.
    I think it came from Reams. He said players of May's age were not the plan, and in fact we were not in for him. But we signed him because Holden was very keen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same feeling when Mendonca signed for us. I knew Clive would be good and now also Alfie. Glad to hear Swisdom’s praise of Alfie. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The fact is he had offers from Derby and Bolton but he wanted to come to us.  He wanted to be nearer his friends and family.  He was in talks with those other clubs but once he got wind we might be interested he told his agent to make the call and from that point on we had a distinct advantage over our rivals.

You read that right - he wanted to come to us - he told me himself.

I believe when he was at Cheltenham his wife was still living in Doncaster so he was apart from his wife and kids most of the time.  He's now absolutely loving being the doting Dad to his two boys with another due early in the new year.  He's just a normal cheeky chappie whose career came good later on so he's making the most of it at every opportunity.  You can see how he's an infectious little bugger on the pitch but he is also just a good loving family guy off it.
    yeah yeah yeah, all well and good but... Live on national TV May ballsed it up, a boy from Graveyends, says he is a Liverpool fan and shook the hand of Danny "wife's got tickets to a film premiere" Murphy. May needs to sort out his life choices. 
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if somebody tests us and puts a bid in for him. It could be the difference of automatic promotion for a club who fancies backing themselves......(sadly). 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Wouldn't be surprised if somebody tests us and puts a bid in for him. It could be the difference of automatic promotion for a club who fancies backing themselves......(sadly). 
    I won't be surprised if we accept a so-so bid with a few add ons just before the window shuts, followed by the club putting out a statement that they were trying to tie up a deal for (insert name of exciting prospect) but the deadline just beat them to it.
  • Options
    Don’t think there’s any danger of that this January to be honest. He seems to be loving it close to home so unless a very specific Championship club comes in for him (please no 🤮) I can’t see it.

Next summer if we don’t sneak up though, different story…
  • Options
    I don’t think there is any chance of Alfie leaving until such time as we don’t renew his contract. Read Swisdom’s post, he’s here because he wants to be here, closer to friends and family, he’s not going to up sticks and leave unless top Championship club comes in and I don’t think that’s going to happen.
  • Options
    I hope you are all right but I worry that we will be a victim of Alfie’s success. If he carries on scoring as he has been, it is inconceivable that there will not be approaches from Championship and even lower premier league clubs. If he was offered double or even treble his current salary his head could easily turn(spotty Parker). Will be a test of our new owners mettle to stave off a possible multi million pond bid and keep Alfie sweet with an improved contract. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    He’s just got his family under one roof, is close to the rest of his family and has another child due in January.  It would take a lot to cause him to go through all that upheaval 
    What, like doubling his wages?
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Superb quotes from Alfie. Seems a brilliant character on and off the pitch. 

Great to read his grounded views on promotion with us, while also having a target to score more than Haaland. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The fact is he had offers from Derby and Bolton but he wanted to come to us.  He wanted to be nearer his friends and family.  He was in talks with those other clubs but once he got wind we might be interested he told his agent to make the call and from that point on we had a distinct advantage over our rivals.

You read that right - he wanted to come to us - he told me himself.

I believe when he was at Cheltenham his wife was still living in Doncaster so he was apart from his wife and kids most of the time.  He's now absolutely loving being the doting Dad to his two boys with another due early in the new year.  He's just a normal cheeky chappie whose career came good later on so he's making the most of it at every opportunity.  You can see how he's an infectious little bugger on the pitch but he is also just a good loving family guy off it.
    Grant Holt works where I work. Spoke to him about Alfie May doing so well and potentially attracting interest from teams up the food chain. I emphasised the points quoted and how happy he was to be near family etc meaning he should stay. Grant told me I was kidding myself.
  • Options
    What if Millwall made a £x million offer….?

I know, sick in mouth. 
  • Options
    If there is an offer come January we will see whether the owners want to make a quick buck or are looking more long term. We are only five points off the Play Offs and assuming we are as close, if not closer, to that goal come January then selling Alfie send entirely the wrong message especially as we simply will not get a like for like replacement in that window.  
  • Options
    I hope you are all right but I worry that we will be a victim of Alfie’s success. If he carries on scoring as he has been, it is inconceivable that there will not be approaches from Championship and even lower premier league clubs. If he was offered double or even treble his current salary his head could easily turn(spotty Parker). Will be a test of our new owners mettle to stave off a possible multi million pond bid and keep Alfie sweet with an improved contract. 
    No  way are premiership clubs watching Alfie may
    Can’t be, unless he’s shown an interest in wanting to play rugby.