Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    IF and it's a big IF, he got an 'offer he couldn't refuse' from a Champ club - then good luck to him.

can't see him going anywhere though
  • Options
    I can’t see him going, at his age clubs aren’t likely to offer £1m+ and I doubt we’d accept anything less.
  • Options
    Confidently say Alfie won't be going anywhere, he loves it here and the family aspect is a huge bonus for him. At 30 and the price Charlton would want to sell him at makes it unfeasible for any League one team and I cannot see many championship teams signing a league one striker in his 30's for multi millions.
  • Options
    Also worth noting that we almost tripled his wage from what he was on at Cheltenham (c.6k a week now).
  • Options
    Also worth noting that we almost tripled his wage from what he was on at Cheltenham (c.6k a week now).
    I wonder how much his goal bonus is?
  • Options
    It's a fair discussion to be had. I only mentioned that it would be interesting whether somebody bids for Alfie, knowing he may bag the key goals to see them through to promotion. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The fact is he had offers from Derby and Bolton but he wanted to come to us.  He wanted to be nearer his friends and family.  He was in talks with those other clubs but once he got wind we might be interested he told his agent to make the call and from that point on we had a distinct advantage over our rivals.

You read that right - he wanted to come to us - he told me himself.

I believe when he was at Cheltenham his wife was still living in Doncaster so he was apart from his wife and kids most of the time.  He's now absolutely loving being the doting Dad to his two boys with another due early in the new year.  He's just a normal cheeky chappie whose career came good later on so he's making the most of it at every opportunity.  You can see how he's an infectious little bugger on the pitch but he is also just a good loving family guy off it.
    Grant Holt works where I work. Spoke to him about Alfie May doing so well and potentially attracting interest from teams up the food chain. I emphasised the points quoted and how happy he was to be near family etc meaning he should stay. Grant told me I was kidding myself.
    Maybe that says more about Grant Holt than anything else.  Not everyone is chasing the dollar.  Alfie spent a bit of time away from his wife and kids and he's loving having everything together and settled.

Obviously money talks but it would take a BIG offer to get Alfie interested, and for the club to accept it.

You never know what will happen in this crazy game but I'd like to think we'll have him for a while longer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’re led to believe the owners rejected bids for Leaburn in the summer, would be mad to then accept bids for the star signing from the previous window. Think if any striker goes its way more likely to be Miles
  • Options
    He is staying here. Luckily (and why I am so keen on the older players) his age will put off suitors as he doesn't have market value. 

The only way a club would go for him is if they were willing to spend millions and it would have to be from the league above where I imagine, they will want to spend their money on younger players.

Even I ain't worried about this one 
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Crazy talk
  • Options
    All it takes is a daytrip and Alfie may fancy Bermondsey high street to Chatham high street.

*joke* 
    calm down
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    17 in 22 games this season in all comps and 17 in his last 18 
    14 in 17 League games and 14 in his last 14 
    Joint 2nd with Haaland (City), Langstaff (Notts County) and Smith (Salford) to Young of Swindon who has 16 League goals
    Still in with a chance of beating Ralph Allen's all time record of 33 goals assuming he stays fit and avoids suspension - needs 20 in 28 

• Options
    What a good little player he is.

Amazingly the leader, Young, is on loan at Swindon from Bradford who are toiling away and lacking goals (except tonight) in 14th place in the same division. Their fans must be frustrated!
  • Options
    A few more soft penalties like tonight won't do him any harm.
  • Options
    A few more soft penalties like tonight won't do him any harm.
    Assume you mean the second pen? I've not seen it again but did think it soft at the time.
  • Options
    what a world of difference to preseason - didn't he miss 2 in a row?

I have no more superlatives about this guy; Me talking him up amongst my premier league supporting mates at work in early season - i'm now getting messages from them every time he scores - thats a win for me as a charlton fan in the office as even they are invested in the Haaland goal chase! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Another stat that I believe is correct is that Alfie currently has the highest all time percentage of total League goals for us in any one season with 14 out of 30 (46.67%). From what I can see, for completed seasons, Derek Hales with 45.90% (28 out of 61 in 1975/6) and Darren Bent with 43.90% (18 out of 41 in 2005/6) are the overall highest. 

What that does, of course, mean is an over reliance on one player. With Leaburn (3) probably out injured for a while, along with Aneke (1) and Kanu (2) on loan, that leaves just CBT (6) with more than a single goal of our current squad and there are only the four players have found the net that once in our 18 matches. Somehow we do have to find goals from somewhere else too.    
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    ^^^ tantamount to heresy on here. What does it matter if 20 of our 30 goals have come from two players, one of whom may leave in January. Gotta hope the other one doesn't get injured.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The second penalty was a clear handball in the area that prevented the ball progressing goalwards, it wasn’t accidental anymore than a mistimed tackle that leads to a foul is accidental.
    The action broke the rules, and the law says in this instance it is a penalty.
    Not soft, but correct.
    I thought it was a pressure penalty in the circumstances, and in that context it was a good Alfie May goal
    Think the Lino flagged for the penalty.
  • Options
    It was a penalty. Seth and I sit in an ideal place to have seen that one, he definitely made his profile wider with his arm 
  • Options
    It looked a pen on Charlton TV, and so did the one in the first half 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    It was a penalty. Seth and I sit in an ideal place to have seen that one, he definitely made his profile wider with his arm 
    Who ..... Seth?  

• Options
    Our second pen last night reminded me a little bit of the one that was given against Dobson when we played at Bristol Rovers last season.
  • Options
    Interesting perspective on Alfie's transfer from a recent Cheltenham Town fans' meeting/Q&A:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alfie-wanted-go--cheltenham-8930219