Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CONFIRMED - Tayo Edun - Signs on a Two Year Deal

Comments

• Options
    But is he back out on the grass with the group and ready to get some minutes into his legs?
    You mean he is ready to go again?
  • Options
    What is it with us and left backs?
    Due to the rarity of genuine left sided players they generally cost a bit more so we only ever want to pay for one. As a result we push them too hard and they break down. Or they get a normal injury and we have no cover. That's assuming we didn't go down the "budget" route and get a player that was injury prone in the first place.
  • Options
    Surely if Wigan can afford Sessegnon’s wages we could / should have kept him on board as our second left back for inevitable situations like this (when your only other left back gets injured)
  • Options
    Sess would have been great to have had instead of TT. Would have led to points winning prizes. 
  • Options
    Sess wanted to come back but we took the cheaper option of going for TT instead….& now we’re paying the price.

Another good example of how Paul Elliott’s claim that we are ‘doing an Ipswich’ is a load of old tosh. 

Ipswich signed left back Leif Davis from Leeds for £1m the year they went up (& kept Greg Leigh who is now at Oxford & also v.gd as back up)

Charlton signed Tayo Edun on a free & renewed the contract of a cheap 4th choice centre back as his back up.

Our investment strategy couldn’t be much more different.
    I don't think the first line is fair, TT was resigned to be the left sided center back and emergency left back cover.  It's still not an excuse to have two proper left backs ahead of him.

But the biggest problem is we started with a 433 squad, tried to change it to a 352 squad, failed and now have missing pieces in the 433 squad.

Can't argue with the rest of your post.
  • Options
    We tried playing with 3 CBs at the start of the season, and are currently struggling to forge a strong partnership between just 2 CBs. 
    #Planning
  • Options
    But is he back out on the grass with the group and ready to get some minutes into his legs?
    He's off the grass now, no more medicinal marijuana needed. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Sess wanted to come back but we took the cheaper option of going for TT instead….& now we’re paying the price.

Another good example of how Paul Elliott’s claim that we are ‘doing an Ipswich’ is a load of old tosh. 

Ipswich signed left back Leif Davis from Leeds for £1m the year they went up (& kept Greg Leigh who is now at Oxford & also v.gd as back up)

Charlton signed Tayo Edun on a free & renewed the contract of a cheap 4th choice centre back as his back up.

On the field anyone comparing us to Ipswich is very naive or disingenuous based on the evidence so far.  It is still early days so I really hope it improves but...

Since our new owners took over in July I think I am right they have bought in 5 loanees (Camara, L Watson, C Campbell, Tedic, Abankwa) and I think 6 perms (T Watson, Isted, Jones, T Taylor, Edun, Walker).  May came in before they officially owned us so no idea who gets credit for that.

Now let's look at the starting team Tuesday to see the blend between these new 10 players and who was here already.

Already Here x8
    Maynard-Brewer; Asiimee; Fraser, Dobson, Campbell; Blackett Taylor; Leaburn; Thomas

New x1
    Jones

Disputable x2
    1. Hector - was here already but maybe Scott's player from Jan? 
    2. May - bought in before the takeover.  There were people on here saying the new owners didn't want him iirc

For only 1 of the 11 new players definitely bought in since the ownership change in July to start is startling.

Of course we could maybe also give the new owners /Scott the benefit of Penney (now clubless) and Kane (playing in Gibraltar in front of 30 people) from Jan window when their people were in charge.
  • Options

On the field anyone comparing us to Ipswich is very naive or disingenuous based on the evidence so far.  It is still early days so I really hope it improves but...

Since our new owners took over in July I think I am right they have bought in 5 loanees (Camara, L Watson, C Campbell, Tedic, Abankwa) and I think 6 perms (T Watson, Isted, Jones, T Taylor, Edun, Walker).  May came in before they officially owned us so no idea who gets credit for that.

Now let's look at the starting team Tuesday to see the blend between these new 10 players and who was here already.

Already Here x8
    Maynard-Brewer; Asiimee; Fraser, Dobson, Campbell; Blackett Taylor; Leaburn; Thomas

New x1
    Jones

Disputable x2
    2. May - bought in before the takeover.  There were people on here saying the new owners didn't want him iirc

For only 1 of the 11 new players definitely bought in since the ownership change in July to start is startling.

Of course we could maybe also give the new owners /Scott the benefit of Penney (now clubless) and Kane (playing in Gibraltar in front of 30 people) from Jan window when their people were in charge.
    Ok and that team lost...

What about the team that started on Saturday?

New players would suddenly be x4: Jones, Watson, Watson, Tedic

Combine that with the fact that Camara is only just coming back from injury, and Taylor was getting starts before his injury (probably at the expense of Watson I'll admit) and Edun would be first choice left back if it wasn't for his injury too, and suddenly that number can be 6 or 7.

My point is taking one game as a snapshot and claiming the whole ethos based on that one lineup is disingenuous 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    May was signed because new owners wanted him the rumour was that Holden didn't and that was debunked. 
  • Options
    The rumour probably confused Holden not wanting any additional first team coaches in May, with Holden not wanting Alfie May.

That's often the intelligence of the sauce!
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how good he is defensively in this system 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    May was signed because new owners wanted him the rumour was that Holden didn't and that was debunked. 
    Actually I thought it was the other way round.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Actually I thought it was the other way round.
    Thats what i heard - and their hand was forced when Miles was injured ........

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Already Here x8

New x1
    Jones

Disputable x2

Ok and that team lost...

Combine that with the fact that Camara is only just coming back from injury, and Taylor was getting starts before his injury (probably at the expense of Watson I'll admit) and Edun would be first choice left back if it wasn't for his injury too, and suddenly that number can be 6 or 7.

My point is taking one game as a snapshot and claiming the whole ethos based on that one lineup is disingenuous 

Fair challenge, picking on the last game only was maybe a bit naughty of me.. but let's go for the weekend before.  4 out of 11 starters were from the 11 new players were bought in during the summer. It's still not a great record (1 in 3 new players to start), and shows that, to date at least, our new players have not been as good as we all would have hoped.  

Sure, there were 3 others out injured but when you leave your business late and combine that with brining in players like Camara who hadn't played for a year or more that is pretty predictable.

As I said, too early to call the recent window but so far, I am not particularly impressed and think our best players were pretty much all at the club already (May the clear exception).
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Already Here x8

New x1
    Jones

Disputable x2

Ok and that team lost...

Fair challenge, picking on the last game only was maybe a bit naughty of me.. but let's go for the weekend before.  4 out of 11 starters were from the 11 new players were bought in during the summer. It's still not a great record (1 in 3 new players to start), and shows that, to date at least, our new players have not been as good as we all would have hoped.  

Sure, there were 3 others out injured but when you leave your business late and combine that with brining in players like Camara who hadn't played for a year or more that is pretty predictable.

As I said, too early to call the recent window but so far, I am not particularly impressed and think our best players were pretty much all at the club already (May the clear exception).
    "When you leave your business late" ......although to put into context, the new owners weren't allowed to complete the sale or take possession of the club until the final week of July, waiting for FA approval of ownership.   

They couldn't sign players before that either. Which meant, that apart from the likes of troubled Wigan, Reading etc, every other club in the division had a head start with their summer team rebuilding. 

I get that you weren't impressed but to be fair, the new owners had only a few weeks to achieve that which other clubs had all summer to do. It's not the easiest thing in that last few weeks of the window trying to build half a winning squad when mostly only the unaffordable, unfancied or free transfer players are left available.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't think the first line is fair, TT was resigned to be the left sided center back and emergency left back cover.  It's still not an excuse to have two proper left backs ahead of him.

But the biggest problem is we started with a 433 squad, tried to change it to a 352 squad, failed and now have missing pieces in the 433 squad.

Can't argue with the rest of your post.
    This would make sense. I found the whole full back situation odd all summer. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Seems like a nice bloke and good to know he got positive references from ex players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been a disappointing signing so far
  • Options
    Not been impressed so far with his defending or his ability going forward. Not as good as Sessegnon.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Think he's been alright but wouldn't argue with anyone who thinks he hasn't. He's at least competitive in one-on-ones and has a decent pass in him. Not been outstanding by any means.

Sessegnon was no doubt a much better footballer but seemed to struggle to play Sat-Tues, and we don't need any more of those players.
  • Options
    I don't think he is bad, he is a good ball carrier, and gets up the pitch well.. I think at League One he is okay, any higher he would struggle
  • Options
    Like Hector, he’s improving, and has an opportunity to see if he’s worth keeping (or not), over the next ten games or so. 
  • Options
    Fairly average L1 player so far, so currently we are his level. I hope he improves as we do..I think he has the energy, speed and skill to do so but am not convinced either way 
  • Options
    He has a lot of really strong attributes but seems to really struggle with second guessing his judgement of flight or pace of the ball. He will get in a good position, stutter and he’s then reacting really late where as his initial judgement would have him intercepting or clearing cleanly. Even his passing, he’ll see it, stutter and then it’ll get blocked. 
  • Options
    But he is a LB, which everybody wanted. Is he worse than some of the players we played there, that wasn't a LB?
  • Options
    Jees, what's he all about!?