Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Vlogging for the 23/24 season

Good morning/afternoon Lifers,

I thought I would make a thread again seeking some life advice (and frankly some ideas).

My last thread of this kind was a huge help for me and I really appreciated the engagement. This time however isn’t exactly career based but more leaning towards a hobby choice & by the thread’s title, you guessed it, I am going to become another one of those pesky football vloggers!

I have made this thread just to get an idea of what everyone here likes to see on these types of videos and more importantly, what they don’t like to see. I can tell you off the bat I am 32 years old and won’t be acting up ridiculously for any type of ‘click-bait’. I also will try my absolute hardest not to make anything meme worthy or put us in a bad light. This is simply a hobby I want to take up and with Charlton being one of my main passions, I want to try this new venture.

I am quite optimistic about this season, despite some of my posts maybe appearing borderline negative at times, that’s just how I prefer to post. I shoot from the hip so to speak and I like to post as objectively as I can.

I intend to complete the full 46/46 season attendance and our cup fixtures if work allows it. I believe the most games I’ve managed in a singular season is around the 35 mark (including cup ties) and I would like to at least go through all fixtures once. With it looking like a season where we may push for promotion, or at the very least this feeling like a monumental season with the new ownership, this feels like the optimal time.

I’ll update my socials as they go, but I must say my YouTube channel is completely bare bones for now. I am expecting my first upload to be this Saturday or failing that Sunday. I would appreciate any subscriptions in the mean time though of course.

That’s about it really, again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and of course if anyone is willing to participate in a pre-match preview or even half time interview of sorts, feel free to let me know, otherwise I’m going to be making my best effort to grab whoever seems friendly enough on the day to have a chat. :smiley:

YouTube channel is: www.youtube.com/@Braziliance

Twitter: @BigBadBraz

Instagram: @Bra3il

I’ll follow back or what have ya, fair warning I do spout some absolute shite on twitter some days if you decide to follow there, sort of like on here I suppose. Ultimately when I post my first video I would just appreciate any type of feedback etc, I am not expecting to get this right anytime soon. Lastly if anyone has any experience in this type of thing please swing me a DM.

Thanks for reading if you managed and enjoy your day Addicks

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Good luck with it - Given you a Subscribe, know from experience how challenging Vlogging can be, basically standing there talking to yourself, I started my own channel talking Photography back in January, its been slow going but it is fun. However I cant do it when other people are around so, full credit to you being able to do it with so many around you.

If you do have some trepidation about talking to yourself on Camera, I can guarantee it does get easier - I started doing it, to build confidence talking, took me a lot of effort as I'm a huge introvert, but have had so much fun since.

Are you just going to use your Phone or something a little better?

One thing that took me a while to work out was audio - One piece of advise I kept hearing was, image quality doesn't matter too much, bad audio on the other hand will turn people away.

I use the Rode Wireless Go II (Its close to £200), it might be too much for you... But equally you might want to have a browse of videos created by others doing matchday vlogs - Some might list in the descriptions the gear they use.
  • Options
    I think that's a great idea and I hope you enjoy the whole process. I'm looking forward to seeing the first vlog. 

Be as negative or as positive as you like - don't worry if people disagree with you. Subscribers will watch your vlog to see your opinions, so don't hold back on them. 

Have fun doing it, because that will come across in your vlog. 

Make sure you post on Saturday. I think that's important. Because, if you allow yourself a bit of leeway to post a day later on the first fixture, you'll get into bad habits. 

One thing that might be worth doing is a pre-season preview on Friday evening. Tell everyone what you expect for the season and come up with some big predictions for the season. You can then review them at the end of the season and either smugly show off at how accurate you were; or suffer the embarrassment of being miles out. 

Above all, enjoy the process, because that will make the vlog even more enjoyable. 

Have a great time doing it. 
  • Options
    Subscribed mate. Good luck with it and look forward to seeing the videos!
  • Options
    Good idea. Will subscribe. I used to enjoy the blogs that Jamie wotsisname with the nice girlfriend used to do but he stopped a couple of years ago. Don’t fall into the trap of having your phone/camera too far down your chest as the “up nose” presentation angle isn’t pretty. Try to get as much of the action and the crowd reaction as possible. Just looking at you talking with the greatest of respect wears off as a thing to do quite quickly. There are some good examples of vloggers on YouTube that you can look at for inspiration. A few young Scottish guys follow Rangers (“Ohitssteely”, “LMCVlogs”), Celtic (“juddytalks” - although I think he may have packed it in) and Motherwell (“Goggsy99”). Check them out.   “FootyAdventures” is excellent although he doesn’t show much action.  Good luck with it. For those of us who can’t get there any more it’s good to see the stuff that the tv doesn’t show you. 
  • Options
    Good luck. Don’t rush your speech and have clear diction.
  • Options

I thought I would make a thread again seeking some life advice (and frankly some ideas).

My last thread of this kind was a huge help for me and I really appreciated the engagement. This time however isn’t exactly career based but more leaning towards a hobby choice & by the thread’s title, you guessed it, I am going to become another one of those pesky football vloggers!

I have made this thread just to get an idea of what everyone here likes to see on these types of videos and more importantly, what they don’t like to see. I can tell you off the bat I am 32 years old and won’t be acting up ridiculously for any type of ‘click-bait’. I also will try my absolute hardest not to make anything meme worthy or put us in a bad light. This is simply a hobby I want to take up and with Charlton being one of my main passions, I want to try this new venture.

I am quite optimistic about this season, despite some of my posts maybe appearing borderline negative at times, that’s just how I prefer to post. I shoot from the hip so to speak and I like to post as objectively as I can.

I intend to complete the full 46/46 season attendance and our cup fixtures if work allows it. I believe the most games I’ve managed in a singular season is around the 35 mark (including cup ties) and I would like to at least go through all fixtures once. With it looking like a season where we may push for promotion, or at the very least this feeling like a monumental season with the new ownership, this feels like the optimal time.

I’ll update my socials as they go, but I must say my YouTube channel is completely bare bones for now. I am expecting my first upload to be this Saturday or failing that Sunday. I would appreciate any subscriptions in the mean time though of course.

That’s about it really, again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and of course if anyone is willing to participate in a pre-match preview or even half time interview of sorts, feel free to let me know, otherwise I’m going to be making my best effort to grab whoever seems friendly enough on the day to have a chat. :smiley:

I’ll follow back or what have ya, fair warning I do spout some absolute shite on twitter some days if you decide to follow there, sort of like on here I suppose. Ultimately when I post my first video I would just appreciate any type of feedback etc, I am not expecting to get this right anytime soon. Lastly if anyone has any experience in this type of thing please swing me a DM.

Good luck.  Its bloody hard talking in front of a camera.  I've spoken to @ForeverAddickted a bit recently about it and he's done a grand job of what he is doing. I've done a few You Tube videos for my photography in the past for fun, but I find it really daunting.  However, I need to get over it as I know it will help my wedding photography massively.  So the plan is to start vlogging as I shoot weddings.  Must be bloody mad.

Anyway, I used to always blog and I loved writing about my interests but vlogging takes it to that next level, so I've thought about mixing photography with all my other interests.  I've spent the last 2 days talking to my camera about the shambles that is Spurs.  Even in an empty room I feel so self conscious.  I'm not sure how I would cope outside just yet.  But hey, thats the plan.

After speaking to @JiMMy 85 and @ForeverAddickted, I've just got some DJI wireless mics.  Bloody hell, I didn't realise what a difference the wireless mics made tbh.   That's probably the wisest investment you can make I think.  Once I've got some videos done, I'll post up a link.  You've got yourself another sub. 

• Options
    I have sometimes thought of how to do a thing reading and reciting classic poetry on you tube but I am way too ugly.
  • Options
    Good luck mate, used to enjoy watching the matchday vlogs back in the championship days. Given you a sub. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I have sometimes thought of how to do a thing reading and reciting classic poetry on you tube but I am way too ugly.
    Just give it a go Seth... If people are interested, they'll watch for the content, not what you look like
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Don't be hard on yourself @seth plum  I rate you 8/10.
  • Options
    Subscribed - good luck
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Don't be hard on yourself @seth plum  I rate you 8/10.
    Easy for you to say, you’re a 10 😍💋
  • Options
    Good luck with it - Given you a Subscribe, know from experience how challenging Vlogging can be, basically standing there talking to yourself, I started my own channel talking Photography back in January, its been slow going but it is fun. However I cant do it when other people are around so, full credit to you being able to do it with so many around you.

If you do have some trepidation about talking to yourself on Camera, I can guarantee it does get easier - I started doing it, to build confidence talking, took me a lot of effort as I'm a huge introvert, but have had so much fun since.

One thing that took me a while to work out was audio - One piece of advise I kept hearing was, image quality doesn't matter too much, bad audio on the other hand will turn people away.

I use the Rode Wireless Go II (Its close to £200), it might be too much for you... But equally you might want to have a browse of videos created by others doing matchday vlogs - Some might list in the descriptions the gear they use.
    Thank you,

I have a little experience in it, I used to compete competitively on a video game so have been interviewed a handful of times, one was even on that skytv gamer channel so that was a bit nerve wracking. My job I am public speaking fairly often so I've grown in confidence in that area thankfully.

I can imagine it does get easier, at first I am certainly expecting to be a bit unnatural but gain a flow as I go, glad you're having fun mate. What is your photography channel?

I have purchased the Sony ZV-1. It's set me back a fair bit but I wanted something at least semi-professional to motivate myself more than anything, watched a fair amount of reviews and it seems to be the real deal for a nippy little device on the go.

Yes I believe this comes with decent audio and a mic muffler but I'll give that a test today, gonna go for a walk outside with it and see how it responds to the windy weather. That is sound advice though thank you.

I have had a look and from what I can see most people seem to be using their phones with a tripod, i've snagged one of those as well.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I think that's a great idea and I hope you enjoy the whole process. I'm looking forward to seeing the first vlog. 

Be as negative or as positive as you like - don't worry if people disagree with you. Subscribers will watch your vlog to see your opinions, so don't hold back on them. 

Have fun doing it, because that will come across in your vlog. 

Make sure you post on Saturday. I think that's important. Because, if you allow yourself a bit of leeway to post a day later on the first fixture, you'll get into bad habits. 

One thing that might be worth doing is a pre-season preview on Friday evening. Tell everyone what you expect for the season and come up with some big predictions for the season. You can then review them at the end of the season and either smugly show off at how accurate you were; or suffer the embarrassment of being miles out. 

Above all, enjoy the process, because that will make the vlog even more enjoyable. 

Have a great time doing it. 
    Thank you mate I will try certainly. 

Sound advice tbf, I just more mean I am gonna take an edge of caution on criticising players too much, I don't want to come across harsh, I fully intend to be challenging opposition fans though and actually look forward to that part 

That's actually a great idea in regards to Friday, my original plan was to do a pre-season analysis on the Saturday morning but doing that on the Friday will save me time on the Saturday and iron out any kinks. 

I intend to have fun haha, it's gonna feel weird cause I am a fairly vocal supporter so i'm gonna have to try and find a balance between enjoying the game and getting decent content.
  • Options
    Good idea. Will subscribe. I used to enjoy the blogs that Jamie wotsisname with the nice girlfriend used to do but he stopped a couple of years ago. Don’t fall into the trap of having your phone/camera too far down your chest as the “up nose” presentation angle isn’t pretty. Try to get as much of the action and the crowd reaction as possible. Just looking at you talking with the greatest of respect wears off as a thing to do quite quickly. There are some good examples of vloggers on YouTube that you can look at for inspiration. A few young Scottish guys follow Rangers (“Ohitssteely”, “LMCVlogs”), Celtic (“juddytalks” - although I think he may have packed it in) and Motherwell (“Goggsy99”). Check them out.   “FootyAdventures” is excellent although he doesn’t show much action.  Good luck with it. For those of us who can’t get there any more it’s good to see the stuff that the tv doesn’t show you. 
    Yeah Jamie Boxall, nice chap. 

Have no intent of having a double chin on show, no concerns there :wink:

I agree on the time spent talking part, I am looking to have quick snippets during the game and then mainly talking with other people so it doesn't fell all one way traffic. Which is one of my next things I am thinking about, video duration. I feel like 10 mins is too short but 15 mins is a lot of time for someone to spend watching. 

Will give them a watch for some ideas, I have watched a few of 'Around the Grounds' videos and I quite like his style. I am very big on fan engagement and keeping it simple and he seems to smash it in that aspect. 

That's actually one of the main motivators tbh, I lived in Sheffield and Nottingham for around 4 years and found it really hard to get to games, was mainly limited to the away fixtures and felt like I lost the home connection a bit, hoping I can give people who usually don't attend games a bit of the valley feel even if they are away.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Good luck.  Its bloody hard talking in front of a camera.  I've spoken to @ForeverAddickted a bit recently about it and he's done a grand job of what he is doing. I've done a few You Tube videos for my photography in the past for fun, but I find it really daunting.  However, I need to get over it as I know it will help my wedding photography massively.  So the plan is to start vlogging as I shoot weddings.  Must be bloody mad.

Anyway, I used to always blog and I loved writing about my interests but vlogging takes it to that next level, so I've thought about mixing photography with all my other interests.  I've spent the last 2 days talking to my camera about the shambles that is Spurs.  Even in an empty room I feel so self conscious.  I'm not sure how I would cope outside just yet.  But hey, thats the plan.

After speaking to @JiMMy 85 and @ForeverAddickted, I've just got some DJI wireless mics.  Bloody hell, I didn't realise what a difference the wireless mics made tbh.   That's probably the wisest investment you can make I think.  Once I've got some videos done, I'll post up a link.  You've got yourself another sub. 

It is indeed John, I have had to do a fair 'talk to camera' type presentations for uni work and I've always found it quite uncomfortable without any feedback. I've always been fairly comfortable talking to a crowd that responds though so I am hoping I can make it interesting in that aspect. 

Sounds a plan, I feel like you would definitely get the support on here, the forum is class and why I've spent a number of years posting like yourself, good balance of people. I will have a look at these mics if I test this one today and it's a bit naff, hopefully it isn't as the reviews are very promising.

Certainly post up mate and I will watch and sub, thank you 
  • Options

Thank you,

I have a little experience in it, I used to compete competitively on a video game so have been interviewed a handful of times, one was even on that skytv gamer channel so that was a bit nerve wracking. My job I am public speaking fairly often so I've grown in confidence in that area thankfully.

I can imagine it does get easier, at first I am certainly expecting to be a bit unnatural but gain a flow as I go, glad you're having fun mate. What is your photography channel?

I have purchased the Sony ZV-1. It's set me back a fair bit but I wanted something at least semi-professional to motivate myself more than anything, watched a fair amount of reviews and it seems to be the real deal for a nippy little device on the go.

Yes I believe this comes with decent audio and a mic muffler but I'll give that a test today, gonna go for a walk outside with it and see how it responds to the windy weather. That is sound advice though thank you.

I have had a look and from what I can see most people seem to be using their phones with a tripod, i've snagged one of those as well.
    I'll be watching with interest then given you've purchased the ZV-1.

I'm using a mixture of my phone and a cheaper Action Camera brand instead of GoPro for recording my video, have often thought about biting the bullet for the ZV-1 myself as going by reviews it seems the perfect vlogging camera.

This is my channel: Neil Stevens - YouTube
  • Options

Good luck...I'll subscribe. 

Think of it as a process that you aren't likely to get right first time and will need to evolve.

There are quite a few other Vloggers out there so spend some time watching what they do and blatantly thieve what works for them. Generally when I've dipped into Vlogs those who have a structure to work around come across better. This will help you frame what you are going to talk about - so it's say this week's match you need to point out relative positions of the clubs, danger players, the last result, formations, strategies etc. Then you can talk about the match and you'll need a bit of a wrap-up after the game. 
  • Options

Thank you,

I'll be watching with interest then given you've purchased the ZV-1.

I'm using a mixture of my phone and a cheaper Action Camera brand instead of GoPro for recording my video, have often thought about biting the bullet for the ZV-1 myself as going by reviews it seems the perfect vlogging camera.

This is my channel: Neil Stevens - YouTube
    You might want to check out the Sony RX100 series.  Its what the ZV-1 is based on.  Same sensor, same body, just has a flash for fill if you want to use it as a stills camera too.
    I had the Mark 7 but sold it last year.  Stunning little camera but quite sad I sold it now as it seems to have jumped up in price!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Subbed mate, best of luck and I'll be sure to watch the youtube vids!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Hi mate. I would be happy to tell you about what I have learned production-wise over the last few years. Drop me a DM if you would like to have a chat. 
  • Options
    Thanks all for the subs, got way more than I expected so I really appreciate it. :smile:

@JiMMy 85 I'll drop you a DM now cheers 
  • Options
    Subscribed, can’t wait to see the first one!
  • Options
    I have had an absolute stinker, 

So my intent was to do a little walk outside today and record myself and introduce the channel but poor weather prevented that, 

So I spent about an hour writing down some notes about who I think will get top6, squad strengths etc, done my Bolton and Derby segments and thought let's have a watch (luckily) and the camera stops recording after 10 minutes and I was trying my hardest not to take my focus off of the lense so didnt notice :neutral:

I'm now gonna have to scrap the first upload before the season starts and head to the ground and try and get the two videos done later and tomorrow hopefully. Absolute mare. 
  • Options
    Subscribed. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Good luck!
  • Options
    Also subscribed, look forward to it.
  • Options
    Subscribed and now also following on Twitter. Look forward to these. Best of luck mate.👍🏻
  • Options
    Thank you people :) 

Unfortunately cause of the shite weather I won't be able to record outside but hoping to bump into some Orient fans and yourselves on the way in or on the concourse 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Where’s the video then? :-)