Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Oxford United vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 26th August 2023: KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    “sucker punch” 😂 
  • Options
    Sadly
    It looks like nobody, from top to bottom, knows what they are doing or how to fix it

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Looks like the Holden Out ! campaigns gaining impetus.

He will probably get the sack, but the underlying problems will remain IMO
    Probably not helped by his coaches being relatively inexperienced guys promoted from the under 21s. WTF was that all about ?
    1st stages of methvens cost cutting I suppose, promote the youth team into the starting 11 & while we're at it promote the coaches as well thereby avoiding paying out on grizzled experienced guys who know what they're doing at this level.

That's all it is, promote the kids - hope a few of them make it - sell them on - rinse and repeat. Unfortunately for us and these cnut owners, from what I've seen they aren't going enough! 
  • Options
    Think they tell our managers at interviews we must play 352 or 433 at all times and without any full backs or wing backs. Absolutely sick of these formations how did oxfords midfield overrun our midfield which looked like 442 most of the time you can’t play 442 nowadays apparently. There top of league now by the way 
  • Options
    just watched the highlights. no way their first should have stood, clear handball in the buildup. good finish from May for our goal but defensively we looked poor and Isted doesn’t appear to have made a strong case to take over in goal 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Rothko said:
    You get back to 1-1, you don’t go chasing the game like your 3-2 down in April and needing a point for promotion, you manage the game out, and that management comes from the Head Coach. Squad issues aren’t the problem when the basics aren’t being done
    You're right. The basics are definitely not being done, as someone mentioned and I also noticed our star striker taking throw ins ?? Our set pieces are abysmal most corners we get awarded are more dangerous for us than the team we are taking them against. Our Free Kicks are often like some kind of parody, a ridiculously obvious dummy act and then a ball that fails to clear the wall or ends up somewhere in the car park. Rinse and Repeat game after game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I have had absolutely no issues with DH

but the past four results hasn’t he said the exact same things? “We need to re-group and go again”

We already look lost and out of the promotion race in August.

if we are serious about promotion we have to go to places like Oxford and get a result, regardless of their form.

Fact we lost at home to Bristol and PV makes this feel very numb.

I wouldn’t be shocked if DH is gone by the morning.

• Options
    Haven’t had a chance to read the thread so apologies if this has already been send but my question is : when do the Americans start getting restless? Methven has clearly sold them a dream and they will surely be looking at these results and realising that in a year they’ll be £20m down and still in League One? Do they pump some money in now or do we spiral into another prolonged shit show that is even worse than the last few due to the amount of parties that now have to be negotiated with to take control of the club? I think it will be sooner rather than later that Methven starts feeling the heat but I’m sure he won’t mind as he’s got his 7%
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    What is it with this get rid of Holden stuff, we are 5 games in, but the performances against Bristol Rovers and Port Vale, deserved a couple of wins, had we got what we deserved in those two we would be top 10, when we get Fraser, Camara, Leaburn back + hopefully some additions in before Friday then fortunes will turn, should it still prove not, then I will join in with the time to go bit... 
    This is more about lack of investment than the manager...
    I totally disagree with you. I didn't see the Bristol Rovers game so can't comment. However, Port Vale were an awful side, not won away since January and we still couldn't put them to bed. Since the 1-0 Win over Orient we've become progressively worse, capped off by that abysmal first half showing today at Oxford with an extremely 'odd' formation / line up. We had a brief rally in the 2nd half to no avail because we ended up losing anyway. The tactics are wrong, the team don't look organised and dare I say it they don't even look motivated. A lot of that falls on the managers shoulders I'm afraid.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Is McGrandles, a centre mid who HAS played over 100 games and was loved at Lincoln and last season at Cambridge, really a worse option than the clearly knackered and now out of depth Anderson? 
    Yes, McAmbles is dogshit. 
    I hate comments like this. Aside from the fact they're just pointlessly nasty, McGrandles has managed to be very good for Lincoln and Cambridge at this level. He's barely played for us, but why is he so much worse? Is it that he's just 'dogshit' or could it be that we manage to repeatedly take players and make them worse? How do we constantly manage to pick up players who should be decent enough and turn them into shells of themselves? That's what we need to figure out because I reckon we're not a million miles away from making Jones, Camara and May look a hell of a lot worse in reality than they did on paper and, more importantly, than they would for someone else
    Did you watch the under 21s in midweek? I did and he was probably the worst midfielder on the pitch. I don't care how he's become so shit, but the reality is he isn't the answer, not by a long shot
    You've missed the point though. He wasn't bad for Lincoln when he was a big part of them finishing 5th in L1 and making it to the play-off final, and he wasn't bad for Cambridge when he helped turn their midfield around and save themselves from relegation. So why is he here looking bad for our u21s? You should care about why and how because that's the real core issue our football club has. We kill players. Kirk, Lavelle, McGrandles, DJ, Gunter, Watson, Smyth, Schwarz, Stockley, Aneke, Gilbey, Payne, Penney, Levitt, Matt Smith 2, MacGillivray, Lee, Leko, I don't think a single one of them hasn't left our club as an absolute shadow of the player they were before they joined. Some of them were on the up, some of them looked like they had potential and could grow, but every single one of them left Charlton a worse player, and in a fair few cases physically crippled along the way. Sure, maybe some were past it and we didn't realise and you can't get every signing right, but the sheer weight of numbers of players we pick up who only get worse as the weeks go by? We've signed teams' POTYs, players who led the league for chance creation, had been playing a league up or at the very least had been performing well at a L1 level and we torpedo their careers. Some recover and climb back up, but do we think that we just exclusively sign players who are masters of disguise, sometimes playing well for their team for years at a time who then drop the act the second we sign them or is it more likely that there's something seriously, terminally wrong with our coaching and development of footballers? So many players have come to Charlton and seen their careers grind to a halt within 5 games of representing the club and that's the core issue that we need to resolve or this is going to happen forever. Someone associated with the club needs to care how.
    Heartfelt AND bang on GM.  I have thought this for years, background staff have come and gone, fuck have they!  I am at a loss for a common denominator over the years.  If I believed in that sort of stuff, I would say that we are cursed. I am absolutely drained thinking about it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't really blame Holden too much when he is missing Fraser, Camara & Leaburn.....and only have 1 right back & 2 functioning strikers.

And then expecting 18 year old kids playing in their first senior season to step up & be on top of their game for the past month is far too much.

So the fault mainly lies with Sandgaard & SE7 Partners. The former for not investing in the team over the past 2 seasons and letting too many players go without replacing them. And the latter for not picking up the baton on day one & bringing in the senior players we need. Apart from Jones & May we have basically brought in youngsters and loanees. Where are the 28-30 year old experienced pro's ? 

We could all see the problem back in May. 10/12 players out of contract / going back from their loan spells & not adequately replacing them - expecting to rely on the U21's to step up. Maybe having 1 or 2 on the bench to come in when needed is fine, but not starting with 3 or 4 every game.

So, as I've said quite a few times this summer.....its now all too little too late. We are already behind the curve ball and so what decent players will want to join us when the manager could be fired and we are a lot closer to a  relegation scrap than a top 6 fight. 

We have shot ourselves in the foot & any new signings now will just be a sticking plaster. 

So if you happen to be reading this Mr Methven ........I fucking told you so. 

I understand what you are saying but you can blame him for playing Asimwe, Ness  and Deji in a team that are already struggling and lacking confidence. 

• Options
    Feck, this is getting depressing. 
  • Options
    Can't really blame Holden too much when he is missing Fraser, Camara & Leaburn.....and only have 1 right back & 2 functioning strikers.

And then expecting 18 year old kids playing in their first senior season to step up & be on top of their game for the past month is far too much.

So the fault mainly lies with Sandgaard & SE7 Partners. The former for not investing in the team over the past 2 seasons and letting too many players go without replacing them. And the latter for not picking up the baton on day one & bringing in the senior players we need. Apart from Jones & May we have basically brought in youngsters and loanees. Where are the 28-30 year old experienced pro's ? 

We could all see the problem back in May. 10/12 players out of contract / going back from their loan spells & not adequately replacing them - expecting to rely on the U21's to step up. Maybe having 1 or 2 on the bench to come in when needed is fine, but not starting with 3 or 4 every game.

So, as I've said quite a few times this summer.....its now all too little too late. We are already behind the curve ball and so what decent players will want to join us when the manager could be fired and we are a lot closer to a  relegation scrap than a top 6 fight. 

We have shot ourselves in the foot & any new signings now will just be a sticking plaster. 

I understand what you are saying but you can blame him for playing Asimwe, Ness  and Deji in a team that are already struggling and lacking confidence. 

Ness and Deji maybe you have a point but we only have 1 RWB, that's not on Holden
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    fenaddick said:

Ness and Deji maybe you have a point but we only have 1 RWB, that's not on Holden

Agree we need an experienced right back and can’t see why Dabo is not signed up. But you play experience around Nathan to guide him through which he needs after last week. Today he is playing again turns round for some experience to help him through and he has deji and ness. 

Then hooking deji and ness is not going to help them as well. It’s poor from Holden and seems he is at a loss of what to do. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    When you pick 3 CBs, hook one after 42 minutes to change the formation, then replace another at HT, sadly it looks like "you don't know what you're doing".
    And bring in the fifth one late on too. There's no good reason a team uses 5 centre backs in one match without there being injuries and sending offs
    I think the reason is desperation. It’s depressing stuff. 
  • Options
    Got to be honest playing one of the best sides away never thought deep down we would get anything today 
    in parts of the game we more then held our own & had our chances 
    Totally gutted we couldn't hold out for the draw but sadly we done our usual & conceded a late goal