Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023

I wonder why the TMO didn’t call this?
    You can’t really tell anything from that. Ramos may well have started his movement in which case Kolbe is allowed to be on the move. Need to see a video really
    https://x.com/gccgaming/status/1713688721768186051?s=46&t=l3gVPecVjs4wU2WBKFZZyw
    It's an interesting one, Ramos shifted his weight and Kolbe went, is that weight shift part of the run up?

Guessing the TMO did look, so decided it is.
  • Options
    All four quarter finals were high class.
  • Options

You can’t really tell anything from that. Ramos may well have started his movement in which case Kolbe is allowed to be on the move. Need to see a video really
    Same way they didn't look properly at Cyrils 2nd try that never actually was grounded over the try line.

I do agree the officiating in this world cup is the worst I've witnessed tbh.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This hasn't only been a fantastic advert for Rugby, it's been a fantastic advert for knock out sport.

A lot of people including said there are teams in the Rugby Union World Cup that shouldn't be there but a format that sets up at least 3 rounds of knock out games between 8 of the best teams in the world has to be applauded. 

One side of the draw was obviously better than the other but both England and Argentina have more than a punchers chance.

It also shows how bloody hard it is to win a world cup.  It only takes one bad day at the office to throw it away, and even then, none of the 4 losing quater finalist even had a bad day.

Agree, all the teams tried everything to get a KO victory.
    4 fantastic quarter finals which could've gone either way and despite everyone who watch Rugby Internationals all year not just at WC knowing that Ireland, France, NZ and SA were the best 4 teams by quite a long way coming into the tournament, the draw meant two wouldn't reach the semi final.

Marcus Smith started off looking like a male model with his golden headphones but by the end of the match yesterday his face was so battered he looked like he had gone 12 rounds with Sugar Ray Leonard at his prime.

Possibly/Probably, NZ and SA will win with a bit to spare in the semi finals but both Argentina and England can relish being underdogs and in England's case revenge for the final defeat to SA where we couldn't emulate the win over the All blacks in the semi final.
  • Options
    Do we have a prayer over SA? 
  • Options
    edited October 2023

https://x.com/gccgaming/status/1713688721768186051?s=46&t=l3gVPecVjs4wU2WBKFZZyw
    It's an interesting one, Ramos shifted his weight and Kolbe went, is that weight shift part of the run up?

Guessing the TMO did look, so decided it is.

It was so strange to see a conversion charged down even if the player is in front of the posts, let alone from out wide. Normally it's just done to hopefully get in the eyeline of the kicker. 

Just watched it 20 times and kickers always twitch and move a tad before taking a kick and I still feel kolbe went too early but will be interesting next time if the sprint merchants will copy on the next attempted conversion.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Yes we do. Based on the current odds it's about 18% England and 82% the Saffers. 

It's unlikely but it wouldn't be the shock of the century.
  • Options
    Watched the England/Fiji game and then the France/SA game. Within 5 minutes of the kickoff I said to myself, it doesn't matter who wins out of France or South Africa, either of them will give us an absolute kicking next week. Hope I'm wrong!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:
    Yes we do. Based on the current odds it's about 18% England and 82% the Saffers. 

Was that us beating Aston Villa U21s?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    remember when SA battered us in the group stage, and then we were a dodgy TMO decision away from beating them in the final ?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    McBobbin said:
    remember when SA battered us in the group stage, and then we were a dodgy TMO decision away from beating them in the final ?

Cueto's foot definitely touched the line.  Wish it hadn't but it was the right decision.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    4 superb quarter finals, though Argentina were the only team that was always just on top .. now we look like having a southern hemisphere bust up in the final despite all the hope/hype around a European upsurge.
    England in 2003 are the only European winners of the cup so far, and that will still be the case after next weekend i m o .. England will put up a fight but the Saffies will be just too powerful as will NZ when playing Argentina, the latter game will be the tighter (i m o)

This tournament has surely converted a lot of unbelievers to Rugby Union despite the gross unbalance between the aves and ave nots. Fiji has many players nowadays at top French clubs as do Portugal, Georgia and (to a much lesser extent) Chile and Uruguay. As I have said before, the issue is squad strength, where the smaller countries will probably never match the Southern hemisphere outfits, and as I've opined on here before, even France has a very powerful top 20 or so players, the rest are just very good. Perhaps too many giant Fijians playing in the French leagues ?????

Last word, give English Premier Rugby a look, it consistently throws up some very good games despite the ever ongoing financial problems surrounding some clubs going broke and ceasing to trade, WASPS being the most famous failure
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    So England remain the only Country in the Northern Hemisphere to win the bloody thing, until the next Rugby World Cup that is
    Can someone explain why what part of the hemisphere we're in has any significance. Why is it so important in Rugby but in no other sport where it is never mentioned. To me it's a meaningless distinction. 

In boxing, they talk of the best pound for pound fighter on the Planet, as if the world is not enough!

This post should be in things that annoy me 🙄
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    So England remain the only Country in the Northern Hemisphere to win the bloody thing, until the next Rugby World Cup that is
    Can someone explain why what part of the hemisphere we're in has any significance. Why is it so important in Rugby but in no other sport where it is never mentioned. To me it's a meaningless distinction. 
    It's more a Six Nations vs The Rugby Championship distinction - which just happens to be Northern compared with Southern hemisphere.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    swordfish said:
    It's more a Six Nations vs The Rugby Championship distinction - which just happens to be Northern compared with Southern hemisphere.

Isn’t it also the time of year when the games are played?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:

That was probably when Japan beat SA at the 2015 world cup.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    McBobbin said:
    England, The only undefeated team left in the WC; the only team that’s played the perfect WC so far by slowly improving game game and building a winning team momentum. I suspect there’s more to come and the semi final would be the pushover some people think it will be. As ‘frightening’ as watching that clash was at times against France yesterday, to play like that can leave a team vulnerable particularly to pace or a disciplined side; it will have mentally drained the pot for the SA players and for all the brute force, the French more than held their own; the England boys are no angels; and that first game of playing against Argentina with one less man showed everybody how to play tournaments, one that SA and the other home nations should have taken note of…put points on the board at every opportunity. SA were just one penalty or drop goal away from going out. That will be their undoing. I think England have more than a prayer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    swordfish said:

Isn’t it also the time of year when the games are played?
    Yes absolutely that as well.

It is also a good way of comparing - we can't use the success of Europe vs South America as we can in football because of the geographical spread of Aus, NZ and South Africa. 

It's a bit more even in football though - 8 to 1 likely to become 9 to 1 in rugby!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:
    England, The only undefeated team left in the WC; the only team that’s played the perfect WC so far by slowly improving game game and building a winning team momentum. I suspect there’s more to come and the semi final would be the pushover some people think it will be. As ‘frightening’ as watching that clash was at times against France yesterday, to play like that can leave a team vulnerable particularly to pace or a disciplined side; it will have mentally drained the pot for the SA players and for all the brute force, the French more than held their own; the England boys are no angels; and that first game of playing against Argentina with just 10 men showed everybody how to play tournaments, one that SA and the other home nations should have taken note of…put points on the board at every opportunity. SA were just one penalty or drop goal away from going out. That will be their undoing. I think England have more than a prayer.
    Wow - I thought the win against Argentina was impressive but I didn't quite realise how impressive!
    OK, obviously Argentina were a bunch of no hopers that were only at the WC to make up the numbers so England playing most of the 80 minutes with only 10 men and using kicking for points as a way of winning by attrition was no big deal…
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    England, The only undefeated team left in the WC; the only team that’s played the perfect WC so far by slowly improving game game and building a winning team momentum. I suspect there’s more to come and the semi final would be the pushover some people think it will be. As ‘frightening’ as watching that clash was at times against France yesterday, to play like that can leave a team vulnerable particularly to pace or a disciplined side; it will have mentally drained the pot for the SA players and for all the brute force, the French more than held their own; the England boys are no angels; and that first game of playing against Argentina with just 10 men showed everybody how to play tournaments, one that SA and the other home nations should have taken note of…put points on the board at every opportunity. SA were just one penalty or drop goal away from going out. That will be their undoing. I think England have more than a prayer.
    should that read WILL/WOULD NOT ? .. or do you think England will beat the Saffies ?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:
    Wow - I thought the win against Argentina was impressive but I didn't quite realise how impressive!
    OK, obviously Argentina were a bunch of no hopers that were only at the WC to make up the numbers so England playing most of the 80 minutes with only 10 men and using kicking for points as a way of winning by attrition was no big deal…
    Would have been fun if we got a scrum.  I wouldn't like to be the first, only, receiver!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:

Sorry guys to be the party pooper but @letthegoodtimesroll You need a recount on your numbers 🔢
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    England, The only undefeated team left in the WC; the only team that’s played the perfect WC so far by slowly improving game game and building a winning team momentum. I suspect there’s more to come and the semi final would be the pushover some people think it will be. As ‘frightening’ as watching that clash was at times against France yesterday, to play like that can leave a team vulnerable particularly to pace or a disciplined side; it will have mentally drained the pot for the SA players and for all the brute force, the French more than held their own; the England boys are no angels; and that first game of playing against Argentina with one less man showed everybody how to play tournaments, one that SA and the other home nations should have taken note of…put points on the board at every opportunity. SA were just one penalty or drop goal away from going out. That will be their undoing. I think England have more than a prayer.
    Have we improved game by game?

I'd say the win over Argentina in our first game was probably our best performance.

In the last group game we were down 17-8 to Samoa and last night was a real struggle, especially when Fiji got back to 24-24.