Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Sadly last 20 mins are like watching the final 4 years ago. Destroying our scrum and know its a guarantee penalty. Gutting but expected much worse
  • Options
    Bugger
  • Options
    Have to say that that is gutting.

Really thought England had done enough to win.

But the scrum supremacy South Africa achieved at the end was massive.

Second half was really engrossing.
  • Options
    Sadly last 20 mins are like watching the final 4 years ago. Destroying our scrum and know it’s a guarantee penalty. Gutting but expected much worse
    Basically what happened yep. South Africa’s first tactic was completely shut down so they brought the big boys on and played for penalties from the scrum and it worked.
  • Options
    gutted, we didn't deserve that. they can all hold their heads high after that performance
  • Options
    Gutted gutted but England done better than what I thought they would.
  • Options
    Gutting to be winning for so long and not get across the line.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Disappointing that we lost.

That said a few weeks ago I didn't think we'd get out of the group stage given the last six nations and subsequent warm up games.

In that context reaching the semi final and losing by 1 point only is a tremendous achievement.
    And, there's a huge amount to build on.

There will be a few of the old guard who will probably retire soon(ish), but there's the kernel of a really good side building towards the next World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Superb effort. Farrell’s mouth cost us 3 points, we lost by 1. It’s more nuanced than that of course and we lost it in the scrums after the respective changes. Gutting due to the effort and performance, but proud more than anything. Exceeded expectations massively in my opinion.
  • Options
    Gutting to be winning for so long and not get across the line.
    To be fair if you don’t score a single try in a World Cup semi final you can’t be too upset at losing.

Felt slightly harsh on England though. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Gutting.

Scrappy match but we were the better team.

Ref was very soft, let SA get away with moving the scrum sideways too often, then gave them soft pens.

Think New Zealand have got into great form at the right time and would have beaten us anyway, but gutted not to have a chance to find out.
  • Options
    Well played England, great effort after being labeled no hopers
  • Options
    Fuck!
  • Options
    Great effort from England 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Superb effort. Farrell’s mouth cost us 3 points, we lost by 1. It’s more nuanced than that of course and we lost it in the scrums after the respective changes. Gutting due to the effort and performance, but proud more than anything. Exceeded expectations massively in my opinion.
    Absolutely it’s more nuanced than that. Farrell was one of our best players tonight and nearly won us the game so talk of us losing because of his mouth is ridiculous. 

We lost the game in the front row in the second half. Nowhere else 
  • Options
    Great effort from England. I thought Koch might have been pinged for not driving straight at that last scrum. But Sinckler folded like a pack of cards when he should have been the anchor. Cole and Marler were outstanding tonight.
  • Options
    Well I thought we would get marmalised tonight.  Well played England.

As for the twattersphere, so be it.  I love it when they bollox up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Totally gutted but said out loud we are going to lose this 15-16 when we were 15-6 up, so weird as we were on top at the time.
    The only premonition I want is the lottery numbers 🤦🏻‍♂️

We lost control of the scrum when *Cole and Marler went off which was the catalyst for the momentum swing.  Sinckler only lasted two minutes when he played in the final after being knocked out. He will hope to erase this match from his memory too.
    8 maximum subs for SA made them stronger whereas England became weaker unfortunately.

Ben Earl has been our most consistent performer during this tournament playing as a number 8.

Tom Curry has lost more blood in the games he played than in an episode of Casualty.

Both Ireland and England came so close to beating NZ and the Springboks in KO rounds. I will join in with the Haka next week and will the All Blacks to victory.

* when they both started they were never going to last the distance but both were excellent.
  • Options
    Both Ireland and England came so close to beating the Springboks, 
    Ireland did beat SA.
  • Options
    Bods64 said:
    Well played England, great effort after being labeled no hopers
    My sentiments entirely. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Both Ireland and England came so close to beating the Springboks, 
    Ireland did beat SA.

Cheers Trev now edited.
    It's been such a long tournament that Ireland beating SA and France beating NZ in the group games seems like a different WC !
  • Options
    Well done lads - I honestly didn't think we would get out of the group let alone make the semi final. 
  • Options
    The amount of joy twitter is having about is losing is mad. We are the millwall of world sport and I don’t really know why ( when we are the biggest critics of our teams)

Roll on the euros.
    English rugby has more money, players and resources than any country so always going to be seen as the big cheese to be shot down by others. 

Plus when you have all those resources and can only play backs to the wall anti-rugby it doesn’t make them the neutrals favourites. 
  • Options
    I don’t get this anti rugby nonsense tbh.
    You have to play the game tactically to beat your opposition by any means.
    It’s the WC ffs, you want to win it.
    Fair play to SB & England, you played that magnificently and it was only when Cole’s & Marler went off it cemented why they started and the cracks started to appear.
    I really enjoyed that game.
  • Options
    At the end of the day the South Africans are  better at pushing and convincing the ref they are pushing straight! 
  • Options
    I thought the ref cost us the game. But well done to the team and manager. 
  • Options
    Can I ask how typical last night's match was? It's the first time I've ever watched a full 80 minutes. I saw most of France v Italy a couple of weeks ago and that seemed genuinely skillful. Last night there was obviously something good going on because the commentators kept praising the players, but whatever it was was eluding me. It really did look, to my untrained eye, like a bunch of fat blokes pushing each other. What am I missing?