Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    The amount of joy twitter is having about is losing is mad. We are the millwall of world sport and I don’t really know why ( when we are the biggest critics of our teams)

Roll on the euros.
    English rugby has more money, players and resources than any country so always going to be seen as the big cheese to be shot down by others. 

Plus when you have all those resources and can only play backs to the wall anti-rugby it doesn’t make them the neutrals favourites. 
    I am surprised we have more than those where Rugby is the main sport or one of two they take seriously? 
    IIRC England has always (at least in the modern era) had the largest number of registered players, so the pool to pick from will be greater than that of other nations.

With the advent of the professional game, English top tier rugby has, partly thanks to sponsorship and Sky TV money, partly thanks to crazy money being thrown at teams by their new benefactors, when you consider the number of fans in the ground, generally had more cash than anyone else.  Or acted as if they had.

The following is very much IMHO, and probably represents my own own bias more than anything else...

Several traditional English club powers were diminished in the rugby gold rush, while some of the the investors in English club rugby make Duchatelet seem reasonable in their cavalier disregard for fans and traditions, such where the bleedin' team plays (to say nothing of the apparent failure to ever grasp the economic realities of the sport).  Recent seasons have seen certain fowl coming home to roost with regard to financial matters.

To which I would add an element of hubris (some might say more than an element), on the part of owners and administrators, leading to English club rugby not having the smoothest relations with its brother club structures.

All of which, along with the rise of URC and other reinvented club league structures, even Major League Rugby in USA, as well as the enduring attractions of French Top 14 club rugby, mean that English club rugby is a bit vulnerable right now.

At the moment, I really enjoy watching URC, even on TG4 (which is close to an incentive to relearn Irish via Duolingo), because it's really competitive.  And I think it's open to the possibility of growth, the two South African provinces have added a fair bit of extra interest since joining, and new teams (properly set up) could be a really good way of improving the competition and the health of rugby more generally.
    Is this just players eligible for England or all pro players in England?  
  • Options
    Considering no one gave us any chance 
    We done well to get 3rd place 

• Options
    Looking forward to the game tonight should be a cracker.
  • Options
    The amount of joy twitter is having about is losing is mad. We are the millwall of world sport and I don’t really know why ( when we are the biggest critics of our teams)

Roll on the euros.
    English rugby has more money, players and resources than any country so always going to be seen as the big cheese to be shot down by others. 

Plus when you have all those resources and can only play backs to the wall anti-rugby it doesn’t make them the neutrals favourites. 
    I am surprised we have more than those where Rugby is the main sport or one of two they take seriously? 
    IIRC England has always (at least in the modern era) had the largest number of registered players, so the pool to pick from will be greater than that of other nations.

With the advent of the professional game, English top tier rugby has, partly thanks to sponsorship and Sky TV money, partly thanks to crazy money being thrown at teams by their new benefactors, when you consider the number of fans in the ground, generally had more cash than anyone else.  Or acted as if they had.

The following is very much IMHO, and probably represents my own own bias more than anything else...

Several traditional English club powers were diminished in the rugby gold rush, while some of the the investors in English club rugby make Duchatelet seem reasonable in their cavalier disregard for fans and traditions, such where the bleedin' team plays (to say nothing of the apparent failure to ever grasp the economic realities of the sport).  Recent seasons have seen certain fowl coming home to roost with regard to financial matters.

To which I would add an element of hubris (some might say more than an element), on the part of owners and administrators, leading to English club rugby not having the smoothest relations with its brother club structures.

All of which, along with the rise of URC and other reinvented club league structures, even Major League Rugby in USA, as well as the enduring attractions of French Top 14 club rugby, mean that English club rugby is a bit vulnerable right now.

At the moment, I really enjoy watching URC, even on TG4 (which is close to an incentive to relearn Irish via Duolingo), because it's really competitive.  And I think it's open to the possibility of growth, the two South African provinces have added a fair bit of extra interest since joining, and new teams (properly set up) could be a really good way of improving the competition and the health of rugby more generally.
    Is this just players eligible for England or all pro players in England?  
    Total number of registered players, both amateur and professional.

One of the problems, for the national team, with flinging around crazy money is that that has increased the numbers in English professional squads, including subs benches, of foreign players, who have no intention of ever playing for England...

Opportunities are often fleeting for potential first team players (the position is better in Ireland, but even then, there are Irishmen playing now for Scotland and the USA, among others).
  • Options
    Looking forward to what should be a top game going for NZ win but there won't be much in it 
  • Options
    England softened up the Boks last week for a close NZ victory 
  • Options
    3rd place is 3rd place so well done England given that some of us thought we'd struggle to get out of the group.
    based on not much)

The Final later could be a classic. My gut feeling (based on not very much) s New Zealand will shade it.
  • Options
    Most maligned, shamelishly abused, over officiated national rugby team on the planet came third.  Well done England and fuck off the rest of you.
  • Options
    SA not having a replacement Hooker on the bench looking pretty daft.
  • Options
    Is it just me or is the haka a lot longer than it used to be?  If I was facing it I’d get the team into a huddle and ignore it completely. Or bare our collective arses at it but I guess that would be frowned upon these days. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think that will be upgraded, could be it....
  • Options
    De Klerk is such an annoying little git.
  • Options
    All going the Saffers way. Over as a spectacle methinks
  • Options
    Red card has probably killed this. I was drifting in any case but I think that’s finished off my interest. 
  • Options
    The Kiwis have really shot themselves in the foot here, poor choice from their captain, it was always going to be a borderline hit 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    The Kiwis have really shot themselves in the foot here, poor choice from their captain, it was always going to be a borderline hit 
    Yea up against it play7ing a man down for the rest of the game but I still wouldn't write them off
  • Options
    Yes!  Game on.

Kolisi very lucky by the way.
  • Options
    Saffers are riding every single bit of luck you can imagine on the way to this potential WC win 
  • Options
    Oh FFS, maybe not.
  • Options
    All blacks are so much better than them - 15 v 15 they would be well clear 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So SA conceding 3 penos in a row on the line, no yellow?
  • Options
    Gutting that. Better side lost. Saffers extremely fortunate 
  • Options
    That was a shame pretty scrappy final to be honest. SA tactic to stop NZ playing which is fair enough but red card sort of killed it really.
  • Options
    Not a great game for a final imo. Nowhere near the entertainment value of the quarters but a close run thing for sure. Well done Boks 
  • Options
    Gutting that. Better side lost. Saffers extremely fortunate 
    New Zealand made a mistakes when it mattered - last pass knock ons, missed conversion, missed penalty.

Don't think SA deserved it, but NZ only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    A very poor final to finish what, for me, has been a largely poor World Cup. A couple of fantastic quarter finals aside, this has been a long drawn out damp squib that won’t last long in the memory. 
  • Options
    SA win the QF, SF and Final by a combined total of three points!
  • Options
    South Africa by 1 point again. said it would be close but guessed wrong.
  • Options
    SA win the QF, SF and Final by a combined total of three points!
    Massively feel like undeserving champions.

People will say champions find a way to win, but they got the benefit of some very iffy decisions in the knockouts.

Plus they're a pretty unlikeable bunch, especially taking into account the allegation of racism that got dropped.
  • Options
    A very poor final to finish what, for me, has been a largely poor World Cup. A couple of fantastic quarter finals aside, this has been a long drawn out damp squib that won’t last long in the memory. 
    Nailed it.
    Plus the officiating has been the worst I've ever witnessed in a tournament.