Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jack Payne joins MK Dons on season loan

Comments

• Options
    Tried tried his best but not good enough. Good luck, can you take DJ and Kirk with you.
  • Options
    Good luck Jack, always 100% on the pitch.
  • Options
    Another squad member lost without replacement. 
  • Options
    Where does he play though? He's not a CM in either a 433 or a 352. I'd argue that Chem Campbell is his replacement to be honest given he can play in AM or down the wing. 
  • Options
    Always tried so cheers for that Jack. 
  • Options
    I thought he would be a good signing and he always gave everything, but never quite got up to the level we needed. All the best Jack, and hope it works out at MKD.

We now have another gap to plug and no manager - great timing!
  • Options
    Where does he play though? He's not a CM in either a 433 or a 352. I'd argue that Chem Campbell is his replacement to be honest given he can play in AM or down the wing. 
    So who replaced our best player last season?
  • Options
    hope this means an experienced (at this level) midfielder or defender is incoming
  • Options
    May, different position but expected to be our top goalscorer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would certainly view him as a decent bench option but he shouldn't be a starter. The issue is not so much whether we can do better, of course we can, but we seem to let players go and not replace them so we don't. We could do with Claire or Egbo right now, again, not becase we can't do better but because we don't bring anybody better in or indeed the same!
  • Options
    God loves a trier but it just didn't work out imo.
  • Options
    Fair point if we switch back to 433. If we play 352 we wouldn't need to replace JRS like for like would we? If 433 is going to be the formation then we probably would need another winger. All in all though, not replacing Payne isn't an issue at all. 
  • Options

We've replaced most of our outgoings, maybe not exactly like for like but close to it in terms of squad needs. 

Clare - no-one yet (Dabo maybe)
    Sessegnon - Edun
    Rak-Sakyi - May
    Egbo - Asiimwe 
    Inniss - Jones
    Woolacott - Isted
    Lavelle - technically Hector (Jan signing)
    Bonne - no-one yet (maybe a loan incoming)
    Morgan - Taylor
    Harness - Adegoke
    Payne - C.Campbell

Not sure you can count Gilbey as he was on loan all season last season, and JFC went out in Jan, but if you want to that's Camara, and Anderson making the step up. 

The squad has been trimmed a bit (it was absolutely massive at one point) and hopefully another 3 out and 3 in will balance it out a bit more. 

People can't have it both ways, you can't develop the youth and have 30 senior players on the books, you can't spend money on new players and wages if you have loads of dross taking up those wages, but then also expect us to spend silly wages on backup players.

I've seen people clamour for Bate, Moxon and other central midfielders to sign, but with Dobson, Camara, Fraser, McGrandles and Taylor all on the books on fairly big wages, you can't justify another large wage on another central midfielder without jettisoning one of them, otherwise you have a player not making the bench even that's on a first team wage. 
  • Options
    Great attitude, limited ability. If it's a loan my guess is we'll be paying a solid chunk of his wages so not sure whether this does much in terms of bringing others in.
  • Options
    If both McGrandles and Payne leave, I could see the need for another CM, one who is more Fraser than Dobson though.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Not a short term loan then 

Well he isn't very tall.

Jokes aside, he can't be criticised for lack of effort, so for that, he should go with our best wishes.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    sam3110 said:

We've replaced most of our outgoings, maybe not exactly like for like but close to it in terms of squad needs. 

Sessegnon - Edun
    Rak-Sakyi - May
    Egbo - Asiimwe 
    Inniss - Jones
    Woolacott - Isted
    Morgan - Taylor
    Harness - Adegoke
    Payne - C.Campbell

Not sure you can count Gilbey as he was on loan all season last season, and JFC went out in Jan, but if you want to that's Camara, and Anderson making the step up. 

The squad has been trimmed a bit (it was absolutely massive at one point) and hopefully another 3 out and 3 in will balance it out a bit more. 

People can't have it both ways, you can't develop the youth and have 30 senior players on the books, you can't spend money on new players and wages if you have loads of dross taking up those wages, but then also expect us to spend silly wages on backup players.

I've seen people clamour for Bate, Moxon and other central midfielders to sign, but with Dobson, Camara, Fraser, McGrandles and Taylor all on the books on fairly big wages, you can't justify another large wage on another central midfielder without jettisoning one of them, otherwise you have a player not making the bench even that's on a first team wage. 
    Understatement of the century. 

If you're selling players above 24 and replacing them with kids you get into a situation like we are currently. No leadership and players making simple mistakes because they're playing mens football for the first time. 

Cheaper though I guess so the owners are happy. 
  • Options
    Like alot of others have said,given his limited time on the pitch he at least covered alot of ground made an effort to change a game,league 1 just too much of s step this time in his career hope it works for him at MK,good luck Jack
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Sessegnon - Edun
    Rak-Sakyi - May
    Egbo - Asiimwe 
    Inniss - Jones
    Woolacott - Isted
    Morgan - Taylor
    Harness - Adegoke
    Payne - C.Campbell

Understatement of the century. 

If you're selling players above 24 and replacing them with kids you get into a situation like we are currently. No leadership and players making simple mistakes because they're playing mens football for the first time. 

Cheaper though I guess so the owners are happy. 
    So we should keep absolute dross on the books because they're older? You want Gilbey, Lavelle, Bonne, Inniss etc all still around? Are they markedly better than Anderson, Elewere, Asiimwe, Kanu? 

The whole point of having an academy is to produce players for the first team. Mistakes this season have come from more senior players too, so can't blame it just on being kids. 

My entire point is the squad needed trimming anyway, we used what, nearly 40 players at one point or another last season, do you think that's sustainable? Show me any other club in League 1 that produces youth players well and has 30 senior players on the books, it's impossible.

Payne leaving us is a good thing, and we've already got his replacement in, and yes it's cheaper but our wage bill is absolutely fucking massive compared to many teams, and is currently being pissed up the wall on crap players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Payne had Kirks natural ability he'd be fantastic.
    If Kirk had Paynes work rate he'd be brilliant.

But what we've actually got is two limited players who just aren't quite good enough for what we need.
  • Options
    When you buy players from lower clubs, you hope they'll step up to another level, and that if they leave, they'll go for a profit because they've improved. Making a profit on transfers is a crucial part of running an EFL football club.

Instead, an awful lot of the players we've brought in from lower clubs, have ended up going back to lower clubs. Egbo, O'Connell and Payne who all arrived last summer are all back in L2. Gilbey, Inniss, Stockley, Lavelle have all gone downwards after leaving us too.

Indeed that has been a massive problem for us over the years, buying the right players, and keeping the best ones under contract so that we make a profit when they leave. We either buy flops, who end up being given away, or the decent one end up leaving for nothing when their contracts expire...
  • Options
    I have to say I don't think I hve EVER been impressed with Payne.  He's a trier but he's very limited as a player.

I wish him all the best but he was never the answer for us
  • Options
    Nice fella and can't fault his effort, but simply not what's required here. He's L2 level, which isn't something to knock, as it's higher than any of us could have ever reached and there's thousands of players out there that can only dream of reaching that level. Can't blame him for giving it a go at a higher level and wish him the best in the future.
  • Options
    Yes. Every time Holden was asked about incomings he referenced outgoings.
  • Options
    I don’t see the point of this thinking, bit like going mad when you go 1-0 down when you can easily go on win the game 3-1

it can only really be judged at the weekend when the windows closed. Only then is it valid if we’ve not brought in a replacement 
    But we're still 1-0 down and it's the 85th minute....