Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jack Payne joins MK Dons on season loan

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to the little fella.
  • Options
     telling that of the expected/hoped for departures Jack Payne is the first
    in terms of effort he has been miles ahead of Shirk, MGrubbish and DJ - added together
    in terms of ability he's at least the equal of all 3
    CAFC had least money gambled on him
    yet he's the only one to find a suitor
    is CAFC demanding ludicrous (i.e. any) money for the other chumps or expecting to pass on all their massively over generous salaries
    Our pals at a local tier 6 club looked them up and wouldn't offer above 10% of their salaries to loan any of them and that team has several players on £1000/wk 
  • Options
    We need a squad of ~25, not just 11. I don’t think Payne should be a starter for any team that has ambitions of promotion in this league, but I was happy enough for him to be a squad player. 

Wish him the best of luck at MK. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Another squad member lost without replacement. 
    Where does he play though? He's not a CM in either a 433 or a 352. I'd argue that Chem Campbell is his replacement to be honest given he can play in AM or down the wing. 
    So who replaced our best player last season?

We've replaced most of our outgoings, maybe not exactly like for like but close to it in terms of squad needs. 

Clare - no-one yet (Dabo maybe)
    Sessegnon - Edun
    Rak-Sakyi - May
    Egbo - Asiimwe is 18 yo
    Inniss - Jones is no better
    Woolacott - Isted
    Lavelle - technically Hector (Jan signing) briefly appeared to be an upgrade(!) now not so clear
    Bonne - no-one yet (maybe a loan incoming)
    Morgan - Taylor another downgrade on a pretty low bar
    Harness - Adegoke
    Payne - C.Campbell

so we're lighter on numbers and quality from a side that limped to 10th 
  • Options
    Never quite worked out here, he's struggled, that said he's played most of his career in League 1 a bit in the championship and a bit in League 2. We should have got more from him.

MK Dons are likely to be pushing for promotion, I suspect he'll do well there.

Just hope we bring in someone better and it's not a case of salary saving and no (better) replacement.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    Good luck to him, just was not quality enough for this level but I have never been the type of fan to hate our own players for being rubbish, he tried. 

Good point Ben.
    I'm in awe of all these players who get professional contracts to play football. 
    Never seemed to quite come off for Jack Payne at Cafc other than the odd game.
    I wish him well.
  • Options
    Not convinced this is wise right now. Any more injuries in midfield and where is the back up?

He may not be good enough to get us in the play offs but right now, our priority is staying up. 

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    sam3110 said:
    Another squad member lost without replacement. 
    Where does he play though? He's not a CM in either a 433 or a 352. I'd argue that Chem Campbell is his replacement to be honest given he can play in AM or down the wing. 
    So who replaced our best player last season?

We've replaced most of our outgoings, maybe not exactly like for like but close to it in terms of squad needs. 

Clare - no-one yet (Dabo maybe)
    Sessegnon - Edun
    Rak-Sakyi - May
    Egbo - Asiimwe is 18 yo
    Inniss - Jones is no better
    Woolacott - Isted
    Lavelle - technically Hector (Jan signing) briefly appeared to be an upgrade(!) now not so clear
    Bonne - no-one yet (maybe a loan incoming)
    Morgan - Taylor another downgrade on a pretty low bar
    Harness - Adegoke
    Payne - C.Campbell

so we're lighter on numbers and quality from a side that limped to 10th 
    And we're told if you're god enough you're old enough so what's Asiimwe's age got to do with it? We've barely seen Taylor so how can you say he's worse than Morgan? I'll bet Jones gets less red cards than Inniss, who btw is so good he's now a League 2 player. What about the other players you didn't put a comment by, are they better but that doesn't fit your narrative so you've ignored them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good luck to him, did nothing wrong imo, just the wrong fit for what we need
  • Options
    clive said:
    Technical Director Andy Scott said: “We wish Jack well during his loan at Milton Keynes. Jack hasn’t quite been able to play as many minutes as he would have liked in his time here but has shown the correct attitude and application to prospective suitors.

Unlike certain other players...
  • Options
    PWR

Hmmmmm, all those signings from Swindon really worked out well for us 🥴
  • Options
    in terms of effort he has been miles ahead of Shirk, MGrubbish and DJ - added together

That's the first time I have see Kirk referred to as Shirk- very good. 
  • Options
    hope this means an experienced (at this level) midfielder or defender is incoming
    Or nobody coming in but we are on target for a significantly reduced loss only a few more bodies to shift! Success ..yay!
  • Options
    Best of the bunch that need to go. How do we shift the others/
  • Options
    He had a "good" attitude but he also had a tendency to give the ball away in key areas, leading to a goal at the other end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All the best Jack. Go and win the league now. MK part of my season accumulator
  • Options
    Shite. Good luck nevertheless 
  • Options
    All the best Jack.
  • Options
    All the best Jack. Always gave it everything on the pitch and seemed like a good character. Some moments of quality sprinkled in there too. Just didn't really manage to hold down a position or really stake a claim to one. I'm pretty sure he'll do well up there.
  • Options
    Hope all goes well for you, Jack. 
  • Options
    Had opportunities to become a fans favourite, but never filled me with confidence, than if he shot, he'd hit the target. Seemed to work hard, which is a great attitude that some other players could learn from. Good luck. 
  • Options
    During his career, Payne has usually played his best football as a 10. 

He can create a bit of space for himself there, like he did at Swindon with plenty of key involvement, goals and assists.
    He's outmuscled in the CM engine room and a winger he ain't.

We generally never played a system to get the best out of him or just shunted him out to the wing. 
    You either need to play a player to his strengths and abilities - or let him go. 

• Options
    edited August 2023
    My feeling with Payne last summer is the same as my feeling about him today: I think he's a good player, I don't understand how he fits into our formation.

A year on and he's played CM/8, LM, RM, LWB, and occasionally but rarely as a 10. And he was...fine but not special. I've said for a long time I felt he was the victim of his own flexibility, and as such he never really got a chance to shine.

With Fraser out injured I thought it would be a good time to give him that freer role in a 4-3-3 or as the 10 in a 4-2-3-1. Instead Holden started him on the right, then dropped him for Edun in midfield. So I don't know. 

I do think he provided good squad depth because of his flexibility. I feel like when Miles comes back we're going to look very top heavy and light in terms of midfield creativity. I'm not sure Payne was the best answer to that, but I would have liked to see him start in midfield in place of Anderson the last couple of weeks. 
  • Options
    So. The story I heard a few weeks back from a source in, let's say, the bowels lounges of the West Stand was that the hold up in bringing in new players is that Holden had been instructed we get rid of the dross first, and that he wasn't co-operating by including them in the squads. According to the source, the "dross" was five, as you'd expect Kirk, DJ, McG, but also Payne, and even more surprisingly for me, Egbo (I think Egbo goes on the long @Garrymanilow list of players we've made worse, either mentally, or by physically damaging them). 

Personally I think it's obvious that Holden named them simply because he saw no other options as the treatment room filled up. And Payne was the one player he continued to name because as others have said, he always gave it his best shot. A professional, in other words. As is Egbo. And that's probably why we have managed to find a home for them. As for the other three, they are still with us. And I do not agree for one minute that that is or was Dean Holden's fault. 
    Given the issues around the Dabo signing, i'm still baffled we got rid of Egbo without a replacement through the door first, thus leaving us with only Asiimwe to play RB.
  • Options
    Really wanted him to do well when he first joined, but I think it's become evident that upper Lg2 is probably his ceiling