Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jack Payne joins MK Dons on season loan

124»

Comments

• Options
    So. The story I heard a few weeks back from a source in, let's say, the bowels lounges of the West Stand was that the hold up in bringing in new players is that Holden had been instructed we get rid of the dross first, and that he wasn't co-operating by including them in the squads. According to the source, the "dross" was five, as you'd expect Kirk, DJ, McG, but also Payne, and even more surprisingly for me, Egbo (I think Egbo goes on the long @Garrymanilow list of players we've made worse, either mentally, or by physically damaging them). 

Personally I think it's obvious that Holden named them simply because he saw no other options as the treatment room filled up. And Payne was the one player he continued to name because as others have said, he always gave it his best shot. A professional, in other words. As is Egbo. And that's probably why we have managed to find a home for them. As for the other three, they are still with us. And I do not agree for one minute that that is or was Dean Holden's fault. 
    This doesn’t make sense to me @PragueAddick

it isn’t the managers role to offload the players, that’s Scott’s. 

What difference would it make if he included them in squads? Bar Payne they’ll only getting bit part snatches of play, so it’s not like they’re holding down a position and not keen to move. And Payne was getting game time and we offloaded him anyway 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    So. The story I heard a few weeks back from a source in, let's say, the bowels lounges of the West Stand was that the hold up in bringing in new players is that Holden had been instructed we get rid of the dross first, and that he wasn't co-operating by including them in the squads. According to the source, the "dross" was five, as you'd expect Kirk, DJ, McG, but also Payne, and even more surprisingly for me, Egbo (I think Egbo goes on the long @Garrymanilow list of players we've made worse, either mentally, or by physically damaging them). 

Personally I think it's obvious that Holden named them simply because he saw no other options as the treatment room filled up. And Payne was the one player he continued to name because as others have said, he always gave it his best shot. A professional, in other words. As is Egbo. And that's probably why we have managed to find a home for them. As for the other three, they are still with us. And I do not agree for one minute that that is or was Dean Holden's fault. 

What difference would it make if he included them in squads? Bar Payne they’ll only getting bit part snatches of play, so it’s not like they’re holding down a position and not keen to move. And Payne was getting game time and we offloaded him anyway 🤷‍♂️
    I think it’s because it increases the risk of injury mainly, would also signal to teams that those players are available 
  • Options
    I think it is simply that if he has them in the playing squad, they aren't superfluous to needs as they are being used, so Holden can make do with them.
    Holden didn't want a small squad
    His management team wants a small squad
  • Options

This was my thinking as well, I found the decision to let Egbo go with only Asiimwe as cover baffling, especially as it's been what, three weeks now? But I don't really put that on Holden, that's on Scott. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I think it is simply that if he has them in the playing squad, they aren't superfluous to needs as they are being used, so Holden can make do with them.
    Maybe, but he has talked about want a small squad a lot for a guy who doesn't want a small squad. 

I mean I don't think it takes particularly masterful insight to see that we need to move DJ, Kirk, and McGrandles on. I think Payne and Egbo are more contentious, but it's hard to argue either of them have thrived, even if there are mitigating circumstances. So on that front I think it's a case of yes we need to move those players on. 

Even if we move them on, and bring in two or three, we don't have a small squad. Maybe an imbalanced one, but not a small one. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

I think it’s because it increases the risk of injury mainly, would also signal to teams that those players are available 
    That and it also sends a message to the players that they can't just cling on past the transfer deadline and feature in squads for rest of the season. They accept whatever rubbish, unappealing offer comes in from a lower division team or they sit on their arse at home every weekend until January and we do the same stupid dance again. It isn't very nice
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    supaclive said:
    Maybe, but he has talked about want a small squad a lot for a guy who doesn't want a small squad. 

I mean I don't think it takes particularly masterful insight to see that we need to move DJ, Kirk, and McGrandles on. I think Payne and Egbo are more contentious, but it's hard to argue either of them have thrived, even if there are mitigating circumstances. So on that front I think it's a case of yes we need to move those players on. 

Even if we move them on, and bring in two or three, we don't have a small squad. Maybe an imbalanced one, but not a small one. 
    League rules say we can have 22 players aged over 21 in the squad.   We have 15.   I think it's small.   We happen to have some potentially exciting youngsters bolstering a squad that of the 15 over aged players, we are trying to get rid of 3 more of them still.    20% of our already small squad of over 21+ years old players we are trying to lose off the books.

Now, I agree, these historical bad buys are NOT the fault of the current owners - HOWEVER - they bought the club having overseen the last transfer window and so, were very aware of the issues of the squad.

They are not replacing them because we are at FFP limits or squad size limits - but because they have no money or have told the money men that there is no need for further money, having just spunked £12m on buying the club.

They have seriously underestimated the scale of the size of the task and that is FULLY ON THEM.

• Options
    I was hoping we'd enter a period of stability with Holden, but it wasn't to be. Can't help thinking if he'd outed half a dozen from the squad he'd be presented with another excuse for no one else coming in. Does make you wonder if last saturdays team selection was a f*** you gesture. Maybe the amount of likes on social media from players after his sacking indicates there were big problems, seems strange so many of them went public like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scored a lovely goal from a direct free kick yesterday 
  • Options
    The way we’ve picked up promising players then destroyed them with multiple managers, endless new recruits and formations is just another reason why the current predicament feels worryingly ominous. 
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    God no. League Two standard player.
    Perfect starter in league 2 for next season then - and I’m not being sarcastic I’m being serious. We will need players who can perform at that level and are dirt cheap - because FFP will be coming for us.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Perfect starter in league 2 for next season then - and I’m not being sarcastic I’m being serious. We will need players who can perform at that level and are dirt cheap - because FFP will be coming for us.
    He's out of contract in the summer
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Ideal then! 

:-(
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    He's out of contract in the summer

Was a bit surprised MK didn't convert it to a permanent in January. One of those players that's clearly very good at League 2 level but just doesn't quite have the ability to be effective in League 1.
  • Options
    Until I glanced at our current squad on the OS last week, I'd genuinely forgot that we still have him. Nice bloke and a trier, but sums up the quality (or lack of) that Saandgard was recruiting for us. 
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    So a level or two above most of the cnuts we have playing for us 
  • Options
    I thought he was alright, not amazing but I’d have him in the squad (if not the XI) now. That might say more about the squad than it does about him though to be fair!