Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents Parking Expansion for SE7 - UPDATE PAGE 3

edited October 2023 in General Charlton
I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday who told me that there is going to be a massive expansion of residents only / 2 hour max parking around the Valley from sometime in October.

Can anybody living the the area confirm/post a map of the area?, as I understand residents have been informed. This could possibly mean a 30 min walk from available parking to the ground if this info is correct.

It's not like we need it even more difficult for people to attend is it?, the team are already doing their bit for that ............

Comments

• Options
    Have you tried driving along the lower road lately - absolute carnage.

You are right though - more reasons not to go for some.
  • Options
    I said when king shit was chairman, Southeastern trains, network rail and Greenwich Council had done more to fuck up attendances than any horrible old bastard owner or inept CEO 

Gillingham is a ground for slight comparison and they have residents parking for good reason, they are close to the station. Like Charlton BUT a lot more people who live in Gillingham own cars and if you go to the roads around the ground during the week you will see a lot of parked cars, drive down the roads around Charlton especially the ones off the Woolwich Road and church Lane and there is no shortage of spaces. The other thing to bear in mind, at Gillingham they have places where you can pay to park for the game. Where is the nearest place to The Valley you can do that now? 
  • Options
    Another reason not to go! ;-)

Have a word with Charlie and his mates. They've spent so little money in getting players and managers maybe they'd chip in with parking fines?

• Options
    A question to pose to those attending from the club at next week's FF meeting ? 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The link on page one is dead, but I assume it's something to do with this thread which started in late 2021. 

More Controlled Parking Restrictions for Charlton — Charlton Life (vanillacommunity.com)
  • Options
    red10 said:
    I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday who told me that there is going to be a massive expansion of residents only / 2 hour max parking around the Valley from sometime in October.

Can anybody living the the area confirm/post a map of the area?, as I understand residents have been informed. This could possibly mean a 30 min walk from available parking to the ground if this info is correct.

It's not like we need it even more difficult for people to attend is it?, the team are already doing their bit for that ............

It's as if the Council don't want a football team on their patch. Perhaps various people were right & we should move out the area. Surrey anyone ? 😄
  • Options
    The club, like the council in conjunction with tfl, should probably encourage those attending to use the following in order of preference, with exemptions for those who need to drive for medical or disability reasons (e.g. blue badge holders):

1. Walk or cycle
    2. Train
    3. Bus or a coach
    4. Electric vehicle
    5. Hybrid
    6. Ulez compliant vehicle
    7. Car
  • Options
    The club, like the council in conjunction with tfl, should probably encourage those attending to use the following in order of preference, with exemptions for those who need to drive for medical or disability reasons (e.g. blue badge holders):

1. Walk or cycle
    2. Train
    3. Bus or a coach
    4. Electric vehicle
    5. Hybrid
    7. Car
    And the bulk of the fanbase will probably want to, and will continue, to travel in this order:-
    1. Train where viable
    2. Car (any available engine variation thereof)
    3. Walk
    4. Bus or coach

I'd guess that a relatively small percentage of the fan base lives close enough to enable walking.

Of course none are mutually exclusive. I drive my car to within a 20 minute walk from the ground and park up. After the game, a 20 minute walk to my car straight onto the road home is quicker than parking 5 mins from the ground and sitting in traffic for 20 minutes. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023

1. Walk or cycle
    2. Train
    3. Bus or a coach
    4. Electric vehicle
    5. Hybrid
    7. Car
    And the bulk of the fanbase will probably want to, and will continue, to travel in this order:-
    1. Train where viable
    3. Walk
    4. Bus or coach

I'd guess that a relatively small percentage of the fan base lives close enough to enable walking.

Of course none are mutually exclusive. I drive my car to within a 20 minute walk from the ground and park up. After the game, a 20 minute walk to my car straight onto the road home is quicker than parking 5 mins from the ground and sitting in traffic for 20 minutes. 
    I agree.
    I think extending the restricted parking zone if it happens,  will inevitably nudge people out of their cars.

I think the mixed mode is advantageous for many; parking and walking or parking quite far out and getting a train the last few miles.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

1. Walk or cycle
    2. Train
    3. Bus or a coach
    4. Electric vehicle
    5. Hybrid
    7. Car
    As someone who lives in Welling

1. I don't cycle and not going to happen, and it's too far to be walking especially during winter months or midweek games

2. Living near the Bexleyheath line what's the train options? Genuine question can only think to change at Lewisham but all sounds very time consuming and a lot of hassle in particular getting to/from the train station along with the added time and expense.

3. No coach option. Bus? Did it about 11 years ago between cars and again is time consuming, hassle and extra expense.

4-7 Can't afford an EV or Hybrid right now but my car is ULEZ compliant.

I usually park the car a 5 mins walk from the ground and more often than not I'm back home in time for the 5:30pm kick off. Might just pack up going if it's going to become a hassle to get to the ground.
  • Options
    This, plus charges on Blackwall tunnel should push my increasingly infrequent journeys to the Valley onto the train, which I quite like... I just wish I could get a railcard to make the price a bit more reasonable 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    We should do a similar exercise on the fans, get everyone to respond to the following, and depending on what they agree with give out car park passes, travel cards, or maybe recommend they seek help.

1. We will win the league, we have the best squad in the division and Chuks will score 25 goals
    2. If we get the formation right (Have we tried 3-2-1-2-2 yet?) and the loans work out we will go up
    3. If Leaburn and May stay fit and are not sold in January, and the defence wakes up, we're in with a shout
    4. We'll have a brief purple patch mid-season but too many injuries will leave us in mid-table
    5. An inconsistent season leaves us lower mid-table, Appleton survives but is sacked after four games next year.
    6. We'll do enough to avoid relegation, mainly due to some of the loans, but they will clear off and we start again next summer
    7. I only go down there to see my mates
    8. I only go down there because I haven't got any mates
    9. If they stop the trains, that's the end for me
    10. My name is Oohaah
  • Options
    Should level Stone Lake Retail Park and turn it into a multi storey for the 25k we get every home game!
  • Options

1. Walk or cycle
    2. Train
    3. Bus or a coach
    4. Electric vehicle
    5. Hybrid
    7. Car
    As someone who lives in Welling

1. I don't cycle and not going to happen, and it's too far to be walking especially during winter months or midweek games

2. Living near the Bexleyheath line what's the train options? Genuine question can only think to change at Lewisham but all sounds very time consuming and a lot of hassle in particular getting to/from the train station along with the added time and expense.

3. No coach option. Bus? Did it about 11 years ago between cars and again is time consuming, hassle and extra expense.

4-7 Can't afford an EV or Hybrid right now but my car is ULEZ compliant.

I usually park the car a 5 mins walk from the ground and more often than not I'm back home in time for the 5:30pm kick off. Might just pack up going if it's going to become a hassle to get to the ground.

On Saturdays you can get the  14.12 train from Welling, change at  Blackheath and get to Charlton at 14.37.

For the return journey the 17.17 train from Charlton  gets in at Welling 17.46. 

As a bonus you can celebrate/drown your sorrows with as many beers as you like!
  • Options

1. Walk or cycle
    2. Train
    3. Bus or a coach
    4. Electric vehicle
    5. Hybrid
    7. Car
    1. Train where viable
    3. Walk
    4. Bus or coach

I agree.
    I think extending the restricted parking zone if it happens,  will inevitably nudge people out of their cars.

I think the mixed mode is advantageous for many; parking and walking or parking quite far out and getting a train the last few miles.

Not only will it nudge people out of their cars, it will stop people coming.

Sadiq Khan and TfL have made it near impossible for me to drive across London. Now Greenwich will stop me parking if I manage to get there!

And do you think that has pushed me to use the train or just stop coming as often as I used to?The answer is the latter (although in fairness the rubbish of most of the last 15 years hasn't helped).

I don't think a few harder to reach individuals should change a policy position that the club ought to take in my opinion. Getting people out of their cars would be part of a sustainability strategy, and the requirements are apparently tightening around reporting requirements for UK companies- though CAFC may slip the net for a while yet, depending on how much energy we use etc. - https://www.brightest.io/uk-sustainability-disclosure-standards
  • Options
    Not sure where you've been parking a 5 minute walk away from the ground. Streets that close to the ground have been restricted for several years.

The big difference now is that the wardens are employed by the council and they are issuing tickets around the area on matchdays.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Not sure where you've been parking a 5 minute walk away from the ground. Streets that close to the ground have been restricted for several years.

The big difference now is that the wardens are employed by the council and they are issuing tickets around the area on matchdays.
    There's parking very close to the ground behind the Curbs stand direction available if you're there early enough.

I'm sure public transport has improved but it's still going to take longer and be more of an inconvenience than just driving my ULEZ compliant car.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

There's parking very close to the ground behind the Curbs stand direction available if you're there early enough.

I'm sure public transport has improved but it's still going to take longer and be more of an inconvenience than just driving my ULEZ compliant car.
    All of which suggests that your original posting on this matter wasn’t really about the inconvenience or additional time needed to get to and from the ground. It is more about your insistence of parking within 5 mins walk of the ground irrespective of the inconvenience that may cause to local residents.
  • Options
    I would glady use the train if U could but South Eastern took the loop line away which I used to get the train from Crayford to Charlton. Once the streets around the barrier are developed it will be harder still to get to the Valley. They have already started building flats near Eastmoor Street.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    You an park in Asda for £5. Using one of the parking sites.
    Gives an option. Cheers
  • Options
    This, plus charges on Blackwall tunnel should push my increasingly infrequent journeys to the Valley onto the train, which I quite like... I just wish I could get a railcard to make the price a bit more reasonable 
    Why can’t you get a railcard?  I accept you can’t get discount out as far as Norfolk and would have to split ticket, but do they restrict Network railcards by address?
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Crusty54 said:

All of which suggests that your original posting on this matter wasn’t really about the inconvenience or additional time needed to get to and from the ground. It is more about your insistence of parking within 5 mins walk of the ground irrespective of the inconvenience that may cause to local residents.
    It wouldn't matter if I parked a 5 mins walk or a 20 mins walk away the same issue will still occur.