Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bobby Charlton RIP

Comments

• Options
    Bunked off school ( Eltham Central) to see the midweek afternoon encounter with the already famous Busby Babes . Bobby Charlton was playing his first away game at the Valley. Recall big crowd despite time of KO . Bobby Charlton stood out in a wonderful team
     Addicks on the day trounced 5-1 .
    RIP 

• Options
    RIP to someone you can really call a legend. Great player for club and country. Think only Geoff Hurst is around from the 66 world cup final team. 
  • Options
    Best ever English footballer. RIP.
  • Options
    A sad day. RIP.
  • Options
    I used to go to West Ham to see the famous Manchester United team; Bobby and Best et al. At the gates at 11:00 and stood at front.
  • Options
    RIP. My boyhood hero.
  • Options
    A fantastic career, respected by many, lived a fantastic life.
    Sleep well Sir.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Rest in peace Sir Bobby, a life lived well and truly 
  • Options
    RIP. One of the greats
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ’And it’s a beauty scored by Bobby Charlton’

RIP another 20th Century icon.
  • Options
    One of, if not, the greatest footballers ever to grace the beautiful game.
    I loved watching him when he played for England I always felt we would win with him in the side!
    God bless you Sir Bobby and thank you.
    RIP x
  • Options
    RIP, we (school football team) got a signed letter from Bobby Charlton when we won an area cup final back in the mid 70's.
  • Options
    Should rename Manchester Airport in his honour. RIP.   
  • Options
    RIP Bobby.  Remember this piece of magic like it was yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLXXL36EmJg

• Options
    RIP - a magnificent player and a true gentleman. What a role model and ambassador for English football.

I recall him saying in an interview or documentary that, notwithstanding his match winning display against Portugal in the semi-final, Alf Ramsey took him to one side before the World Cup Final and said that he was to man-mark West Germany's best player, Franz Beckenbauer. Although Bobby Charlton had never performed that role before, he accepted it without question, which was typical of the man. In the event, Beckenbauer sidled over to him before kick-off and it transpired that he had been specifically instructed by Helmut Schön to man-mark Bobby Charlton. 

My dad took me to Wembley for the England v Northern Ireland game in 1970, just before the team departed for the World Cup. It was the occasion of Bobby Charlton's 100th cap and the great man duly scored the final goal of the game.

Fast forward 17 or 18 years when my mate and I were walking into Selhurst Park prior to our game against Manchester United and who should we chance upon but Bobby Charlton. He must have seen that we were totally and utterly starstruck because he smiled and said "hello lads, enjoy the game"
  • Options
    there will never be another, though i m o Harry Kane is very similar .. R I P Sir Robert
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    As mentioned above the only surviving member of England's World Cup winning XI now is Sir Geoff Hurst.

However 3 further members of the squad of 22 still survive: Ian Callaghan (ex Liverpool), Terry Paine (ex Southampton) and George Eastham (ex Arsenal).

Callaghan and Paine played one game each in the qualifying group but Eastham didn't get a game in the tournament.

Once again, more importantly, RIP Sir Bobby.
  • Options
    Hé played in the first ever football match I attended. Also remember him with PNE at The Valley. One of the Best players I have seen play.

RIP Sir Bobby.
  • Options
    The 1968 European Cup Final is one of the first games I remember watching on TV as a kid. What a set of players.

Some lovely anecdotes shared about Bobby in the media.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was lucky enough to be introduced to him in my teens. On moving up north, my dad became treasurer of a football team called Northern Nomads and Bobby would be the guest speaker at their annual dinner. Lovely bloke with some great stories as well as being a superb footballer.

RIP
  • Options
    Just spoke to my dad about Bobby. He met him a few years back as my dad was part of the publishing company that released his autobiography. Dad mentioned he was a Charlton fan to him and Bobby with a grin on his face immediately recalls his debut game scoring two goals and the game a couple of months later where he scored I believe his first hat trick both against us so naturally he always has a soft spot for us. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Only saw him once at the Valley at a night fixture when he was managing Preston, it was like a royal visit. I think we won 3-1 and I seem to remember he was fired shortly afterwards. They said that he was to nice to be a manager.
  • Options
    What a player he was one of the best English players of all time
    a true legend 
    Rest Easy Sir Bobby 

• Options
    RIP Sir Bobby.
    The mark of the man is that nobody has ever had a bad word to say about him.
    Truly wonderful player, a global icon and great ambassador for our game.
    Wasn’t he banned from receiving FA Cup final tickets for selling his allocation?
  • Options
    Great footballer and gentleman. My abiding memory was the World Cup in 1966, and being behind the goal when he hit that screamer against Mexico it was a special moment. RIP Sir Bobby. A player no one should ever forget.
  • Options
    One of those who'd transcend era. Magic footballer. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XDBS7sLZxU

• Options
    Did anyone watch the program dedicated to him on the beeb last night.
    Wow, it really did show how much the air crash changed him, understandably so.
    I love the fact that as soon as they could after winning the World Cup, he and Jack went home. They were paraded around their local town in a rolls royce. First time either had been in one. 
    Completely different kind of footballer. 
    We won’t ever see that like again.
  • Options
    Just spoke to my dad about Bobby. He met him a few years back as my dad was part of the publishing company that released his autobiography. Dad mentioned he was a Charlton fan to him and Bobby with a grin on his face immediately recalls his debut game scoring two goals and the game a couple of months later where he scored I believe his first hat trick both against us so naturally he always has a soft spot for us. 
    And of course the name...Charlton.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Only saw him once at the Valley at a night fixture when he was managing Preston, it was like a royal visit. I think we won 3-1 and I seem to remember he was fired shortly afterwards. They said that he was to nice to be a manager.
    Great night we won promotion finishing 3rd behind Blackburn and Plymouth.