Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Ben18 said:
    Ikpeazu had a good game at their place, but not very mobile and didn't press.

He was very good at disrupting/battling our defenders, and winning free kicks on the halfway line just by being big and awkward.
    Have to disagree, thought he looked very mobile for his size. Remember him using his pace to burn past Hector & Jones at one point. 

He gave them both a torrid time and has a decent pedigree having played in the Scottish Prem and Championship. Obviously not a goalscorer but apparently we need someone primarily for May to play off. 
    May alone won’t score nearly enough to get us promoted. Our midfield doesn’t have enough goals in, if we are moving to wing backs then neither do they, and our centre backs have zero goals this season. 

Leaburn staying fit would be a 20+ goal player in my opinion, but we can’t rely on that and he might not be here anyway. Hopefully Ikpeazu is just a stop-gap and we bring in a proper goalscoring big man in the summer 
  • Options
    Didn't realise Ikpeazu had been at Wycombe before , that might make it a bit of a tricky one to make happen. They've only got Vokes, Dale Taylor on loan from Forest and Brandon Hanlan as strikers so can see the fit there for them too. 
  • Options
    edited January 18
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Ben18 said:

He was very good at disrupting/battling our defenders, and winning free kicks on the halfway line just by being big and awkward.
    Have to disagree, thought he looked very mobile for his size. Remember him using his pace to burn past Hector & Jones at one point. 

He gave them both a torrid time and has a decent pedigree having played in the Scottish Prem and Championship. Obviously not a goalscorer but apparently we need someone primarily for May to play off. 
    May alone won’t score nearly enough to get us promoted. Our midfield doesn’t have enough goals in, if we are moving to wing backs then neither do they, and our centre backs have zero goals this season. 

Leaburn staying fit would be a 20+ goal player in my opinion, but we can’t rely on that and he might not be here anyway. Hopefully Ikpeazu is just a stop-gap and we bring in a proper goalscoring big man in the summer 
    I think he'd definitely be a stopgap but tbf we have only scored 2 less goals than Pompey who are top of the table. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Would expect that now gets announced this afternoon. 
    It's not a Friday though!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    People are getting really obsessed by strike rates. Our biggest problem currently is that when it’s going to our strikers it’s not staying there. We have a goal scorer, we need someone to complement him and get us playing higher up the pitch. 

I thought Ikpeazu was the stand out player from that game and as a squad option would be an excellent addition. 
    Think the lack of the ball sticking is part of why we don’t have many midfield goals. If the ball can stick at his feet it should encourage forward runs. The new midfield signings seemed more likely to make those runs on Saturday 
  • Options

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

Uche is just a bit of a handful, poor strike rate.
    he's not perfect but the difference he'd make to our team would be huge 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    People are getting really obsessed by strike rates. Our biggest problem currently is that when it’s going to our strikers it’s not staying there. We have a goal scorer, we need someone to complement him and get us playing higher up the pitch. 

I thought Ikpeazu was the stand out player from that game and as a squad option would be an excellent addition. 
    Think the lack of the ball sticking is part of why we don’t have many midfield goals. If the ball can stick at his feet it should encourage forward runs. The new midfield signings seemed more likely to make those runs on Saturday 
    Neither have scored many goals in their career. It’s probably more of an issue for the summer, but goals from elsewhere in the team needs to be addressed 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Ben18 said:

I think he'd definitely be a stopgap but tbf we have only scored 2 less goals than Pompey who are top of the table. 
    If you remove CBT then we’d be struggling a lot more to find the net 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Neither have scored many goals in their career. It’s probably more of an issue for the summer, but goals from elsewhere in the team needs to be addressed 
    was just going from Saturdays performance really, Bakinson in particular got forward more than most we’ve seen and could’ve scored Alfie’s goal. Coventry looks the kind to ping one in from distance every now and then and I’ve no idea about Fiorini. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    But we hope to announce a signing today.  A london boy who has been looking to get back down here for a little while.  Can't say I know much about him.

Centre back but has played holding midfield too
    I like @s@Swisdom 's posts.

Not quite the transfer fix I need but the next best thing, like methadone :):smile:  
    Charlie?
  • Options
    Presume Ward is not coming in as new No1:

2014–2019Reading0(0)
    2014→ Whitehawk (loan)0(0)
    2016→ Sutton United (loan)
    2016→ Fylkir (loan)3(0)
    2016→ Margate (loan)13(0)
    2017→ Margate (loan)6(0)
    2017→ Hungerford Town (loan)10(0)
    2017→ Hungerford Town (loan)17(0)
    2017–2018→ Aldershot Town (loan)25(0)
    2018–2019→ Northampton Town (loan)0(0)
    2019→ Forest Green Rovers (loan)12(0)
    2019–2021Exeter City28(0)
    2021→ Portsmouth (loan)0(0)
    2021–2022Swindon Town9(0)
    2022–2023Sutton United9(0)
    2023–Swindon Town5(0)

• Options
    Leuth said:
    We need to sign players locally, who won't get homesick. Local League Two teams seem like a good place to look. Who's Gillingham's striker?
    Macaulay Bonne?
    Bonne is Gills top scorer this season with 3.
    O dear, Whatever happened to the new chairman splashing the cash to fire them out of the division.?  Bonne as your main striker 😂
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    robroy said:
    CBT gone apparently. 
    Would make sense if we're playing with wing backs. Hopefully got a decent fee for him. 
    Appleton has refused to play them 
    And didn't start with them Saturday
    Still, more money in than out.....
  • Options
    edited January 18
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    ButtleJR said:
    robroy said:
    CBT gone apparently. 
    Would make sense if we're playing with wing backs. Hopefully got a decent fee for him. 
    Appleton has refused to play them 
    And didn't start with them Saturday
    Still, more money in than out.....
    He did start with them Saturday though, we played a 3421 with two wing backs in the first half 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

Can't argue with that, he would be a 2024 version of Parker!!

the problem is, when do you give up
    on other targets and go for the short term gap fill option.

🎵 if Uche scorers, we're on the pitch 🎵 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

But he will also cost a fee? 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

Hopefully Wycombe will outbid us on this one.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
  • Options
    edited January 18
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Ben18 said:

If you remove CBT then we’d be struggling a lot more to find the net 
    I can't be getting into another argument that goals are the problem. If we improve all over the pitch as we look to be doing, we'll have a better season.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

This.

At least with JCH you get goals to add to his presence & physicality. 
  • Options
    Goodwin still not announced by Oxford, just saying.