Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    We tried for better options, they didn’t work out. Ikpeazu is next on the list.

We still need to fill the gap between now and the summer because Leaburn isn’t coming back soon and Aneke is made of glass, we’ve found a L1 player to do that for us.

All the better options are going to be available in the summer window at this point.

Can’t help but think that people just want a flashy signing (name like JCH or young up and comer like Goodwin) and when you back yourself into a corner trying to please fans you end up overpaying for a flop like Will Grigg.
    Thanks Charlie boy  ;)
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    When Port Vale signed him Director of footballDavid Flitcroft, stated that "Uche is a powerhouse of a player and provides us with another dimension that combines and compliments our other attacking options and we have brought him in at this stage of the season to provide further competition for places"

Whilst I agree he isnt the top tier signing we hope for, he can certainly come here and contribute. 
    Brought in to challenge for a place at Port Vale. Can't blame people for wanting us to get someone better.
    I said myself it isnt the signing we really want. However, he can play at the level and do a job. He wont be a top goalscorer but we need a big lump to do what big strikers do and become a foil for Alfie May and co. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

Uche is just a bit of a handful, poor strike rate.
    he's not perfect but the difference he'd make to our team would be huge 
    But he will also cost a fee? 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

Hopefully Wycombe will outbid us on this one.
    The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
    If it was free it would be for next season, I can't imagine why Port Vale would be willing to lose one of their only strikers for free tbh. 

Cheap wages but still wages, could potentially be another one we have sitting their wasting wages and blocking other transfer activity.

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

I don’t get the way of thinking (the last bit) - if we don’t get him what makes you think we’d get better? The longer we wait the more risk we end up with someone further down the list or worse, no new striker at all.

This could also be one of those situations where we have a few possibilities, but we have to keep some moving along to ensure we get the type of player we need, even if we have to go with a short term option.

Because we have been heavily linked with one of the best strikers in the league, it's quite underwhelming to go from that to a player who's probably not even top20 material.

Just don't think it's a good signing is all 
    It’s L1, players with 6 months left on their contract leave for free all the time. They might need to offload his wages or have someone else lined up. They also have 3 other strikers and usually play 1 up top from what I can see. 

I get what you’re saying but what’s the alternative? JCH doesn’t look like he wants to sign  Humphrys must be a non starter and we know Ladapo is. It’s clear we need a striker and we’re working our way down our shortlist. He’s not perfect but I’m not sure who else we go for 
    There's 92 professional clubs, there's clubs in the national league that have recently been professional, not to mention players abroad.

I'd really like to hope we have more imagination than just gradually looking at the strikers of every team in this league. 

We allegedly bid a sizeable fee for Abbey, 500k or so for JCH, 400k for Goodwin. 

Ali Al-Hamadi is probably going to go for around 1-2 million. I understand his likely destination will be a championship gamble, but if we have this kind of money now, why would we sign stop gaps. That's what the loan market is for imo.
    big gap from 500k to 1/2m. The problems we have are a) everyone knows we’re after a striker so prices rise and b) good L2 players go to the Championship now and good NL players are a big gamble for L1. I see your point about loaned but we’ve got loads of them already (which is a problem but the situation we’re in) and parent clubs will want the player playing regularly which can’t be guaranteed. I’m not saying he’s perfect but as a stop gap he’s worth it. If I remember right you wanted Stockton, Ikpeazu is a cheaper player in the same style as Stockton. He’s less potent sure but we really just need someone to facilitate May for now. Use the resources we have in the summer to get a longer term solution 
    Based on the bids we were making, it gave me the impression (along with Coventry) that we have more to spend than 500k. I was combining those fees ans basically saying, instead of scrambling around, why not just put our budget on someone like that as we have numbers in other areas and probably enough to see us through the season. 

This could go back and forth all day, clearly people are happy at this kind of signing and I'm not, it looks genuine as well now so I wish him the best if he does sign.
    Just on the budget thing I think that’s too simplistic a view on things. If we put all our budget on 1 striker then we might not be able to afford the CB/DM Swisdom posted about earlier or any other signings we may need. I totally see your point, I just think we have other areas of the squad we need to spend on too. 
  • Options
    robroy said:

We still need to fill the gap between now and the summer because Leaburn isn’t coming back soon and Aneke is made of glass, we’ve found a L1 player to do that for us.

All the better options are going to be available in the summer window at this point.

Can’t help but think that people just want a flashy signing (name like JCH or young up and comer like Goodwin) and when you back yourself into a corner trying to please fans you end up overpaying for a flop like Will Grigg.
    Thanks Charlie boy  ;)
    Lol the logic is sound though.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    mendonca said:
    He's just a lump. 
    He was a lot more than that when we played them a few weeks ago , a constant threat .
    I wasn't sold on him. Like when Kirk played against us and reviewed good reviews, I just found the play to be so obvious and predictable.

I wouldn't overestimate the quality of our defence when judging his performance against us.

• Options
    edited January 18
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
    If it was free it would be for next season, I can't imagine why Port Vale would be willing to lose one of their only strikers for free tbh. 

Cheap wages but still wages, could potentially be another one we have sitting their wasting wages and blocking other transfer activity.

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

I don’t get the way of thinking (the last bit) - if we don’t get him what makes you think we’d get better? The longer we wait the more risk we end up with someone further down the list or worse, no new striker at all.

This could also be one of those situations where we have a few possibilities, but we have to keep some moving along to ensure we get the type of player we need, even if we have to go with a short term option.

Because we have been heavily linked with one of the best strikers in the league, it's quite underwhelming to go from that to a player who's probably not even top20 material.

Just don't think it's a good signing is all 
    No one thinks it's a very good signing.
    Many people think that if he's the best available to us for this season, then it's better than nothing.

Port Vale are level on points with Charlton and have a game in hand.
    If you think Port Vale would be wrong to sell/release him, I don't understand why you can't continue the thought process and think it would be beneficial to Charlton (to help avoid relegation). 
    Because one man's trash is another man's treasure and vice versa. 

I don't believe he would be as important to us as he is allegedly to Port Vale, the reviews seem mixed. 

I'll just wait and see (all we can do), either way, this is firmly starting to look like a typical January if it wasn't for Conor Coventry, especially if CBT does go and potentially Dobson.

Failed to get out top targets (except Coventry)

Failed to keep our prized assets (likely)

Added stop gaps and unproven players to the ranks to tide us over. Gillesphey will be Hector's replacement likely, so we still need another centre back.

I'll get stick for it, as anyone who is critical of them* does, but we are miles off it still and a striker that doesn't score (I understand he has more to his game) and a third choice goalie isn't going to cut it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reads like Stockley
  • Options
    edited January 18
    I thought at the start of the window Cawley said we wanted two strikers. Which makes sense, if we're switching to 352 we still only have May & Kanu as reliable options at the moment. Having two more + a returning Aneke is a decent set. I doubt Ikpeazu is all we're looking at.
  • Options
    £600k bid accepted from Derby for CBT according to League 1 news on Twitter. 
  • Options
    He scored 12 goals in 68 games in the championship between 2020-22. And not really playing for good sides either, I doubt Wycombe were creating much for him at that level 

Could easily see him being a 10 goal a season option at this level, plus all the work he does outside of that which will help the team defensively and going forward 
  • Options
    If we sign Ikpeazu I'd like us also to sign someone who can also has a bit of height and strength, but is more mobile. Someone who can play the target man role, but also play with the target man if May is absent.
  • Options
    If true - use some of the money to offer Dobbo a better deal!
  • Options
    If we sign Ikpeazu I'd like us also to sign someone who can also has a bit of height and strength, but is more mobile. Someone who can play the target man role, but also play with the target man if May is absent.
    Stephen Humphrys?
  • Options
    No chance 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would have preferred Goodwin......but Ikpeazu did look a handful against us.......
  • Options
    So we are signing a Heskey regen?
  • Options
    I thought I read on Twitter that we turned down £600k last week. 

Obviously Twitter is as reliable as a train running along the Greenwich line but great negotiating there if we have managed to negotiate the same price that we rejected last week.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    ct_addick said:
    I would have preferred Goodwin......but Ikpeazu did look a handful against us.......
    Looking at his match ratings on FotMob, the Charlton performance is by far his best, coming in at 8.5. Generally he seems to average 6.0/10. 
  • Options

must be a very short list. 

As I said earlier, is the list just going for strikers who have scored against us this season ?  Goodwin & Ikpeazu are certainly on that one - but wouldn't be on many proper scouting ones. 
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Ikpeazu looks like the physical presence we have been missing up top, and a real tank that just ain't gonna be stopped, could see a hatful of assists here, as well as some pretty classy goals...
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Me too. Most people probably would. I'm sure Methven,Scott and Co. would too, but if we have missed out then we have to move on. It's not ideal but having our third/fourth choice "big guy" is better than not having any... I hope.