Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Forest were the other club doing the rounds but I don't know if their impending FFP sanction will affect any January business. 

Think Olympiacos will sign him and loan him to Forest to get around this as same owners.

As for Ikpeazu, whilst he scored against us I thought he was one of the most limited players I have seen. Just a big agricultural lump, most defences in this league will deal with him very easily. He definitely isn't an elite 8 signing and only just about would be a L1 bob average 8 signing.

Oh the Olympiakos workaround would make a lot of sense. I think they did similar the other year with Josh Bowler where Forest signed him but loaned him straight to Olympiakos 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

Uche is just a bit of a handful, poor strike rate.
    he's not perfect but the difference he'd make to our team would be huge 
    But he will also cost a fee? 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

Hopefully Wycombe will outbid us on this one.
    I don’t get the way of thinking (the last bit) - if we don’t get him what makes you think we’d get better? The longer we wait the more risk we end up with someone further down the list or worse, no new striker at all.

This could also be one of those situations where we have a few possibilities, but we have to keep some moving along to ensure we get the type of player we need, even if we have to go with a short term option.

His goalscoring record is atrocious, but if he helps to keep us up then that works for me.
    As mentioned by an earlier poster, we're in a relegation struggle and players might be put off coming to us, unless the financial package suits.
  • Options
    We'll be on to Bogle or Dodoo again if we can't get someone slightly better.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    We'll be on to Bogle or Dodoo again if we can't get someone slightly better.
    Nooooooooo!!!!
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
    If it was free it would be for next season, I can't imagine why Port Vale would be willing to lose one of their only strikers for free tbh. 

Cheap wages but still wages, could potentially be another one we have sitting their wasting wages and blocking other transfer activity.

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

I don’t get the way of thinking (the last bit) - if we don’t get him what makes you think we’d get better? The longer we wait the more risk we end up with someone further down the list or worse, no new striker at all.

This could also be one of those situations where we have a few possibilities, but we have to keep some moving along to ensure we get the type of player we need, even if we have to go with a short term option.

Because we have been heavily linked with one of the best strikers in the league, it's quite underwhelming to go from that to a player who's probably not even top20 material.

Just don't think it's a good signing is all 
  • Options
    It’s good your not in charge then, because if your list is just the top player and they all want to go somewhere else we’re screwed, so we have to look at options. 
    He looked very good against us and put a shift in. 
  • Options
    Probably worth waiting for a Cawley Confirmation before we panic/get excited by the Ikpeazu link. So far it's literally one mention on a Sky blog, no idea if it's actually got any basis in reality.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
    If it was free it would be for next season, I can't imagine why Port Vale would be willing to lose one of their only strikers for free tbh. 

Cheap wages but still wages, could potentially be another one we have sitting their wasting wages and blocking other transfer activity.

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

Because we have been heavily linked with one of the best strikers in the league, it's quite underwhelming to go from that to a player who's probably not even top20 material.

It’s L1, players with 6 months left on their contract leave for free all the time. They might need to offload his wages or have someone else lined up. They also have 3 other strikers and usually play 1 up top from what I can see. 

I get what you’re saying but what’s the alternative? JCH doesn’t look like he wants to sign  Humphrys must be a non starter and we know Ladapo is. It’s clear we need a striker and we’re working our way down our shortlist. He’s not perfect but I’m not sure who else we go for 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Ikpeazu link is journalism 101. Link him to a side, mention another side who needs a striker, bonus points if they played against them recently, even better if they scored as it adds validity to the fluff piece. 
  • Options
    Ikpeazu would do a job, but it would be very disappointing if he was the only striker signed in the window, especially if CBT leaves
  • Options
    edited January 18
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

It’s L1, players with 6 months left on their contract leave for free all the time. They might need to offload his wages or have someone else lined up. They also have 3 other strikers and usually play 1 up top from what I can see. 

I get what you’re saying but what’s the alternative? JCH doesn’t look like he wants to sign  Humphrys must be a non starter and we know Ladapo is. It’s clear we need a striker and we’re working our way down our shortlist. He’s not perfect but I’m not sure who else we go for 
    There's 92 professional clubs, there's clubs in the national league that have recently been professional, not to mention players abroad.

I'd really like to hope we have more imagination than just gradually looking at the strikers of every team in this league. 

We allegedly bid a sizeable fee for Abbey, 500k or so for JCH, 400k for Goodwin. 

Ali Al-Hamadi is probably going to go for around 1-2 million. I understand his likely destination will be a championship gamble, but if we have this kind of money now, why would we sign stop gaps. That's what the loan market is for imo.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

There's 92 professional clubs, there's clubs in the national league that have recently been professional, not to mention players abroad.

I'd really like to hope we have more imagination than just gradually looking at the strikers of every team in this league. 

We allegedly bid a sizeable fee for Abbey, 500k or so for JCH, 400k for Goodwin. 

Ali Al-Hamadi is probably going to go for around 1-2 million. I understand his likely destination will be a championship gamble, but if we have this kind of money now, why would we sign stop gaps. That's what the loan market is for imo.
    big gap from 500k to 1/2m. The problems we have are a) everyone knows we’re after a striker so prices rise and b) good L2 players go to the Championship now and good NL players are a big gamble for L1. I see your point about loaned but we’ve got loads of them already (which is a problem but the situation we’re in) and parent clubs will want the player playing regularly which can’t be guaranteed. I’m not saying he’s perfect but as a stop gap he’s worth it. If I remember right you wanted Stockton, Ikpeazu is a cheaper player in the same style as Stockton. He’s less potent sure but we really just need someone to facilitate May for now. Use the resources we have in the summer to get a longer term solution 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

This.

At least with JCH you get goals to add to his presence & physicality. 
    The same JCH we’ve already bid for and tried to sign? Yous honestly rather have no one? 
  • Options
    It’s good your not in charge then, because if your list is just the top player and they all want to go somewhere else we’re screwed, so we have to look at options. 
    He looked very good against us and put a shift in. 
    Of course, this has worked out well for us over the last few years. 

Can we really base a signing just on how they play against us? I could understand if they had a proven record AND they played well against us, but this is a striker that's just a unit who's known to put himself about and make himself busy, if we are playing 5 at the back, we need more than that.

If Jayden Stockley returned I doubt people would be too happy, I want us to improve on the players that leave, not stagnate. Uche scores less than Stockley, he's not as good in the air as the Stockley and his hold up play is probably of a similar level. 

Anyway I'll be careful from how I post from now as it's verging on clutter again when it's just a link. 
  • Options
    not just a small paragraph in the sky blog now 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

big gap from 500k to 1/2m. The problems we have are a) everyone knows we’re after a striker so prices rise and b) good L2 players go to the Championship now and good NL players are a big gamble for L1. I see your point about loaned but we’ve got loads of them already (which is a problem but the situation we’re in) and parent clubs will want the player playing regularly which can’t be guaranteed. I’m not saying he’s perfect but as a stop gap he’s worth it. If I remember right you wanted Stockton, Ikpeazu is a cheaper player in the same style as Stockton. He’s less potent sure but we really just need someone to facilitate May for now. Use the resources we have in the summer to get a longer term solution 
    Based on the bids we were making, it gave me the impression (along with Coventry) that we have more to spend than 500k. I was combining those fees ans basically saying, instead of scrambling around, why not just put our budget on someone like that as we have numbers in other areas and probably enough to see us through the season. 

This could go back and forth all day, clearly people are happy at this kind of signing and I'm not, it looks genuine as well now so I wish him the best if he does sign.
  • Options
    When Port Vale signed him Director of footballDavid Flitcroft, stated that "Uche is a powerhouse of a player and provides us with another dimension that combines and compliments our other attacking options and we have brought him in at this stage of the season to provide further competition for places"

Whilst I agree he isnt the top tier signing we hope for, he can certainly come here and contribute. 
    In October he said that
    In January they're happy for him to speak to other clubs.....
  • Options
    Would be a weird one after agreeing 500k for JCH and 400k for Goodwin. Can only assume we are still hopeful of JCH or someone else on a perm and Ikpeazu will be a short term contract during which it’s up to him and earn a longer deal but his record is very unimpressive.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

Not getting JCH was always a possibility though regardless of money and planning. I agree it’s underwhelming but options will be more limited in January where some players aren’t interested, clubs won’t let them go etc.

I’d rather we didn’t miss out on our targets in mid January, even if they’re not our first choices because the alternative is likely players further down the list or no one.
  • Options
    He's just a lump. 
  • Options
    Vfrf said:

Don't have a good feeling about this one to be honest. Gives us a new dynamic in terms of striker profile, but a complete journeyman who has only featured 11 times with 1 goal for Port Vale this year, seems a very different profile to Goodwin who we were in for yesterday.

Especially if we lose CBT, who is our second highest scorer and only player with the ability to create something out of nothing.