Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Quite telling Nathan Jones feels the need to still dip into the free agent market due to how poorly our squad was built over the last two windows

Wouldn't want to be in Andy Scott's shoes having to justify to the owners why that is!
    Agreed. It is great to see the owners also happy to back Jones at this stage in the season too. 
    He’s only agreed to be our manaemger because of the promise of a decent amount of money available in the summer. I have no doubt about it.
    With an easy break clause in the summer irrespective of division we're in.
    Quite rightly so.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Quite telling Nathan Jones feels the need to still dip into the free agent market due to how poorly our squad was built over the last two windows

Wouldn't want to be in Andy Scott's shoes having to justify to the owners why that is!
    Agreed. It is great to see the owners also happy to back Jones at this stage in the season too. 
    He’s only agreed to be our manager because of the promise of a decent amount of money available in the summer. I have no doubt about it.
    Is that a personal statement, something you have heard or hope?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    mendonca said:
    But it does assume the Reading player would want to move from one unstable club to another? Also, one relegation battle to another. 

A bit like JCH, our bid might be accepted but it could be a waste of time and effort.
    Were not unstable at all we now have owners in who have a good structure and more important money .. I would say this is the most stable this club been off the pitch since Richard Murray .. ( not his last few years of course ) 
    How's this going ?
    How’s this going?
  • Options
    edited March 9
  • Options

I think Jones is well and truly in control of our recruitment. Certainly in terms of who we sign. Think Scotts job going forward will be to negotiate and deal with agents. Probably put forward names but is that enough to justify his position ? 
  • Options
    Lots of managers are promised funds, it’s whether they are then actually even available, or spent on the players the manager wants. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jones stated this week that they are nowhere near where they want to be and I assumed that was with regards to the squad. I think the defence is not quite right, Thomas has done well but we need better in there and I'm not sure that Hector will be re-signed. We need more width in the midfield as an option and I'm hoping that Wickham turns out to be an able replacement for Chuks. Lots of players to leave and quite a few to come in .
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Jones stated this week that they are nowhere near where they want to be and I assumed that was with regards to the squad. I think the defence is not quite right, Thomas has done well but we need better in there and I'm not sure that Hector will be re-signed. We need more width in the midfield as an option and I'm hoping that Wickham turns out to be an able replacement for Chuks. Lots of players to leave and quite a few to come in .
    The fact that Wickham has already been given a pseudo-trial already and rumours of another similar deal being done suggest that Jones has one eye on next season already.

The squad does need a lot of work though. As was said the season before. And the season before that. And the season before that. And the season before that. And the season before that.....
  • Options
    2 players I always feared when we played against their respective teams were Wickham and Lua Lua. They always seemed to score or be part of a goal against us....I thought Wickham had a good cameo yesterday and Lua Lua (if it is him) is another statement of intent from NJ. I'm very optimistic for next season, are we finally on our way back? 
  • Options
    Conor Wickham I think but not gonna be match fit, doubt anyone will be. Expect him to sign tomorrow.
    Good shout as it turned out.👍
  • Options
    Out of interest do we think Leaburn will be here next season? Would he fit in with May and Kanu? 

Trying to assess how much money we could raise as the ones we know should be leaving  go wouldn't fetch a kilo of Oranges at the market! 
  • Options
    Out of interest do we think Leaburn will be here next season? Would he fit in with May and Kanu? 

Trying to assess how much money we could raise as the ones we know should be leaving  go wouldn't fetch a kilo of Oranges at the market! 
    I think he will stay IMO. Two big ish injuries in the first two years of playing professional football will probably put some clubs off signing him. I feel we will see him until January to see how he has recovered from his injuries.
  • Options
    Don't think Leaburn leaves in the summer but think we'll have to cash in in January. First half of the season having Leaburn, Kanu and May rotating/May playing in the 10 would surely be scary for lots of L1 defences. Then Chuks to come in whenever he can and someone like Wickham when Chuks is injured. Seems a decent front line to me
  • Options

Always thought LuaLua was a constant menace when he played against us for Brighton. Admittedly that's over 10 years ago so I doubt he's still quite got the same electric pace that he had but if it is him that's signing it's a very canny move. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The sorts of players we are looking at…. When you get them right at this level, can be very useful.

Always remember Deon Burton coming in under the radar and was one of the most underestimated players we have had. Held it up very well.
    Yes! Loved Deon Burton. Absolutely brilliant for us and totally underrated. 
  • Options
    I fear we may have a bigger issue fending off interest in Kanu over the summer.
  • Options
    Given how quickly and easily Burstow got snapped up after a few good games for us, I’d be very surprises if there’s not higher interest in Kanu 
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Yann’s brother in law apparently 
    And Tresor Kandol’s cousin
  • Options
    follett said:
    Given how quickly and easily Burstow got snapped up after a few good games for us, I’d be very surprises if there’s not higher interest in Kanu 
    Still got 3 years left on his contract which Burstow didn't (from memory) so think we could command a decent fee. We also have a manager who likes he loves Kanu and knows how to get the best out of him which gives us more hope of keeping him
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Bailey said:
    The fact that Wickham has already been given a pseudo-trial already and rumours of another similar deal being done suggest that Jones has one eye on next season already.

The squad does need a lot of work though. As was said the season before. And the season before that. And the season before that. And the season before that. And the season before that.....
    100%. We need to be building a squad window upon window not making signings that give us an unbalanced miss mash that needs dismantling and rebuilding every summer. I’m assuming and hopeful that Jones has been given a remit and assurances that he can do that. What we’ve had for years is trying to build on a liquid foundation. One or two quality players here and there but basically a journeyman squad. We have at best ten players that we can build something around. We won’t do it in one window but if Jones wants a 22 man squad with an upgrade in personnel then I can see a summer of significant churn, followed by several windows of additions. I’d say at this point we’re miles off. 
  • Options
    I think we will get that rebuild our poor season will have reinforced the requirement for a healthy squad overhaul budget in the summer window and to be fair to the owners there has already been decent financial support for our end of season. 
  • Options
    The one thing I hope is tweaked is the 8-8-8 strategy. If that looked like 12-6-6 I would feel more confident about our promotion chances next season. Point being you would need stinking bad luck fitness wise to have say 33%-50% of your ‘elite’ crop at this level out at the same time if you had 12 of them, but reduce that number to 8 and 33-50% out would seem more plausible based past form.

I totally buy the tiered structure mind and the opportunity for our academy graduates to come through. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dizzle said:
    Yann’s brother in law apparently 
    And Tresor Kandol’s cousin
    What a contrast