Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    I don't think our squad is a million miles off now, considering the recent recruits and results, and unlike previous seasons we're not dependent on loan players who'll go back in the summer. We've brought in 2 centre backs and 2 wing backs in January/February already.

4 quality permanent signings topped up with decent loans will suffice.

Miles to me is better playing off a target man, as he doesn't have the strength off his old man yet, so an experienced lump up front like Wickham would be a useful asset for all our current strikers.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Kanu is going to be a top, top player. He was scoring a stupid amount of goals on a constant basis for the youth teams, quite surprised he is still here. Think he has a higher ceiling than leaburn, especially now he has filled out a bit
    All just opinions, but I think Leaburn could become a special player with his physical and technical attributes.

Kanu has demonstrated a bit of pace, superb work rate, decent finishing and improving hold up play, but... technically he seems a little off. His assist yesterday was a hashed shot, and he airshotted the first attempt for his goal. This isn't something that's likely to improve much.
  • Options
    Wickham and Lua Lua make sense as it gives NJ a couple of months to look at them before making a decision long term on each. I’m more enfused by Wickham than Lua Lua as the latter is 33. But happy for NJ to decide if he’s what we need or not.

Would say though that I thought we might be aiming higher than the two aforementioned.
  • Options
    Wickham and Lua Lua make sense as it gives NJ a couple of months to look at them before making a decision long term on each. I’m more enfused by Wickham than Lua Lua as the latter is 33. But happy for NJ to decide if he’s what we need or not.

Would say though that I thought we might be aiming higher than the two aforementioned.
    Lua Lua allows us to play with wingers and for Jones to see TC in his natural position. I'm viewing these signings as stop gaps to plug a gap and let Jones experiment, if they earn a place in next years squad even better
  • Options
    edited March 10
    thenewbie said:
    Bailey said:
    Jones stated this week that they are nowhere near where they want to be and I assumed that was with regards to the squad. I think the defence is not quite right, Thomas has done well but we need better in there and I'm not sure that Hector will be re-signed. We need more width in the midfield as an option and I'm hoping that Wickham turns out to be an able replacement for Chuks. Lots of players to leave and quite a few to come in .
    The fact that Wickham has already been given a pseudo-trial already and rumours of another similar deal being done suggest that Jones has one eye on next season already.

The squad does need a lot of work though. As was said the season before. And the season before that. And the season before that. And the season before that. And the season before that.....
    100%. We need to be building a squad window upon window not making signings that give us an unbalanced miss mash that needs dismantling and rebuilding every summer. I’m assuming and hopeful that Jones has been given a remit and assurances that he can do that. What we’ve had for years is trying to build on a liquid foundation. One or two quality players here and there but basically a journeyman squad. We have at best ten players that we can build something around. We won’t do it in one window but if Jones wants a 22 man squad with an upgrade in personnel then I can see a summer of significant churn, followed by several windows of additions. I’d say at this point we’re miles off. 
    Disagree that we're miles off. If we could go into next season with our current strike force or even upgrade on Ladapo and/or Wickham that's half the battle already. I completely agree with your logic about several windows of additions but i'd say that more applies to being in The Championship pushing for The Premier League, when all fit there's no better strike force in depth in this division than Leaburn, May, Kanu, Wickham, Aneke, Ladapo.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Bailey said:
    Jones stated this week that they are nowhere near where they want to be and I assumed that was with regards to the squad. I think the defence is not quite right, Thomas has done well but we need better in there and I'm not sure that Hector will be re-signed. We need more width in the midfield as an option and I'm hoping that Wickham turns out to be an able replacement for Chuks. Lots of players to leave and quite a few to come in .
    The fact that Wickham has already been given a pseudo-trial already and rumours of another similar deal being done suggest that Jones has one eye on next season already.

The squad does need a lot of work though. As was said the season before. And the season before that. And the season before that. And the season before that. And the season before that.....
    100%. We need to be building a squad window upon window not making signings that give us an unbalanced miss mash that needs dismantling and rebuilding every summer. I’m assuming and hopeful that Jones has been given a remit and assurances that he can do that. What we’ve had for years is trying to build on a liquid foundation. One or two quality players here and there but basically a journeyman squad. We have at best ten players that we can build something around. We won’t do it in one window but if Jones wants a 22 man squad with an upgrade in personnel then I can see a summer of significant churn, followed by several windows of additions. I’d say at this point we’re miles off. 
    Disagree that we're miles off. If we could go into next season with our current strike force or even upgrade on Ladapo and/or Wickham that's half the battle already. I completely agree with your logic about several windows of additions but i'd say that more applies to being in The Championship pushing for The Premier League, when all fit there's no better strike force in depth in this division than Leaburn, May, Kanu, Wickham, Aneke, Ladapo.
    All 6 never have or will be fit at the same time whilst here this season. If they had, quite simply they wouldn't all be here anyway, so it's a pretty irrelevant point.

And I really can't see us stocking 6 strikers next season, especially not of that calibre where all would be expecting to play. It creates it's own problems and NJ is looking for a trimmer and better balanced squad.
  • Options
    edited March 11

Not sure if changed over the weekend but #cafc were waiting to discover full extent of Kazenga LuaLua's contract situation as they weighed up a deal.

Either is or was contracted to Levadiakos.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) March 11, 2024
  • Options

Tariqe Fosu training with #cafc.

Been without a club since being released by Brentford in July 2023.

No suggestion at this point that he is set to be handed a deal.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) March 11, 2024
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds as if Lua Lua is the preferred option with Fosu as backup if the contract situation gets in the way
  • Options
    Fosu being unemployed since last summer is a bigger mystery than Wickham. He had 2 loan spells in the Championship last season, where he played regularly for Stoke and Rotherham, so fitness concerns weren't an issue.
    I think when you have plenty of money you can chose your next career steps a lot more carefully and both might have been waiting for something that suited them. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Fosu being unemployed since last summer is a bigger mystery than Wickham. He had 2 loan spells in the Championship last season, where he played regularly for Stoke and Rotherham, so fitness concerns weren't an issue.
    I think when you have plenty of money you can chose your next career steps a lot more carefully and both might have been waiting for something that suited them. 
    I think that’s possibly true but in the main footballers want to play don’t they ? Hes how old ? 28. Still got possibly five years of career left so best part of a year out seems odd to me. Perhaps he priced himself out of a summer contract but you’d have thought a Championship club would have offered him something after the window. Looks older than 28 to me from a couple of photos I’ve looked at. In Jones we trust. 
  • Options
    Was absolutely class when we had him under Karl Robinson but a lot has changed since then. The other thing is we don’t actually play with wingers or even wide forwards as such so struggling to see where he would fit into our current system 
  • Options
    I suppose Jones wants players who can play in an alternate formation if he decides to switch it up. I don’t think he is a one formation manager. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Was absolutely class when we had him under Karl Robinson but a lot has changed since then. The other thing is we don’t actually play with wingers or even wide forwards as such so struggling to see where he would fit into our current system 
    Played his best attacking football under Robinson, as he then did well for him at Oxford. If Robinson wasn't managing L2 Salford, I imagine he might have gone back for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see having a winger as an option off the bench with the current system when chasing a game rather than starting.

As it is only six weeks to go in the season could we 'audition' both Fosu and Lualua to see who might be worth keeping next season? Like Wickham I suspect that they would want to play some competitive football before the close season.
  • Options
    Only problem I see with this is that just like Wickham, neither will be match sharp. That in itself provides problems with seeing them as worth something in the summer. Not enough time or games left for them to both get sharp and make a fair representation of their potential. Looking ok in training is one thing but in first team competition it’s much harder. We’ve seen enough players this season not up to speed and both the player and team have suffered as a consequence. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Either that or he was asking for too much money himself.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    He played a bit at wing back for Brentford in their championship promotion season. So he will be good enough to play there for us as a more attacking option. 

He has also played as an attacking midfielder for us under Bowyer so that would be his main position in our system, but an option at wing back too and then obviously he can play as a winger if we changed system in-game 
  • Options
    Jones likes to call them game changers
  • Options
    Weird thing is that had we said we were signing Wickham ,Fosu and Lua Lua at the start of the season or even in January we would have been more excited than for the ones we did get ( bar Alfie)
  • Options
    Only problem I see with this is that just like Wickham, neither will be match sharp. That in itself provides problems with seeing them as worth something in the summer. Not enough time or games left for them to both get sharp and make a fair representation of their potential. Looking ok in training is one thing but in first team competition it’s much harder. We’ve seen enough players this season not up to speed and both the player and team have suffered as a consequence. 

Depends on their motivations I guess.  Train with us to the end of the season and if they show enough promise then come back for pre season on a formal trial?
  • Options
    Again this is where I suspect Jones is looking for more in terms of "proof of concept" rather than expecting or wanting to sign these exact players specifically. Do we need wingers at all, how does it affect the balance of the squad, is bringing in experience worth the money or do we aim for a much younger squad in general etc.

If they do well enough to earn a "proper" trial or even a deal, great. If not, it's still useful information for what we need do in terms of reshaping the whole squad.
  • Options
    Can Fosu play as a 10 as well?