Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I can guarantee a loan player won’t win our player of the year this season.

Honestly think it could be one of the closest in years at least between the assumed top 2 
  • Options
    Agree with all of that @garrymanilow particularly the stuff about us forgetting the dud loans. The good ones all came in a short window too (Cullen, Bieliek, Gallagher) or because they were at Palace and didn’t have to move (JRS). Of course loans are inconsistent but I don’t think our record is great 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    redbuttle said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    fenaddick said:
    Hoping Appletons history of good loans can continue in January if the 3 mentioned above do go home 
    I've no idea of his history with loan players......who's he had "under his wing" that have proved to be a success then ?
    At Oxford, he had players like Kemar Roofe, George Baldock, JonJo Kenny & Tyler Roberts at Oxford…think he had Jordan Graham there.

Lincoln - Morgan Rodgers, Brennan Johnson, Josef Bursik, Lewis Forini, Josh Griffiths, Morgan Whittaker 

Blackpool - Lewis Forini (again), Rhys Williams, Charlie Patino, Morgan Rodgers, Morgan Rodger’s…

The majority of these players were playing for premier league teams at the time, and looking through the careers of these players, have gone on to play for teams pushing for promotion out of the Championship or Premier League teams.

Its seems Appleton is well respected at the “bigger” clubs, and they are happy to send their young prospects to be developed under his watchful eye.

It's not really an impressive list, is it? We've had better loanees than that.
    Have we? In recent years the only loanees that truly stand out are Jes and Gallagher. 
    Who I'd take over anyone on that list...

Ian Maatsen playing Prem football for Chelsea this season. 

Let's see who he manages to bring in for Feb. 
    What about Josh Cullen?
    Good one, forgot about him and Bielik from Santa Claus. 

I don't think there's any comparison between the players we've brought in on loan and the ones Appleton has. But he keeps saying he's got this great history of bringing in top loanees.
    Brennan Johnson is miles above all of those players. Maatsen comes on as a late sub for Chelsea every so often because despite spending shinty six billion quid they still don't have a squad, Cullen has done well but is getting relegated back down to the Championship and Bielik has been a member of Championship squads threatened by relegation ever since he left us. Brennan Johnson played 38 Premier League games last season scoring 8 and assisting 3, and he just scored his first Spurs goal the other day. He's 22.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Chunes said:
    redbuttle said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    fenaddick said:
    Hoping Appletons history of good loans can continue in January if the 3 mentioned above do go home 
    I've no idea of his history with loan players......who's he had "under his wing" that have proved to be a success then ?
    At Oxford, he had players like Kemar Roofe, George Baldock, JonJo Kenny & Tyler Roberts at Oxford…think he had Jordan Graham there.

Lincoln - Morgan Rodgers, Brennan Johnson, Josef Bursik, Lewis Forini, Josh Griffiths, Morgan Whittaker 

Blackpool - Lewis Forini (again), Rhys Williams, Charlie Patino, Morgan Rodgers, Morgan Rodger’s…

The majority of these players were playing for premier league teams at the time, and looking through the careers of these players, have gone on to play for teams pushing for promotion out of the Championship or Premier League teams.

Its seems Appleton is well respected at the “bigger” clubs, and they are happy to send their young prospects to be developed under his watchful eye.

Have we? In recent years the only loanees that truly stand out are Jes and Gallagher. 

What about Josh Cullen?

I don't think there's any comparison between the players we've brought in on loan and the ones Appleton has. But he keeps saying he's got this great history of bringing in top loanees.
    Brennan Johnson is miles above all of those players. Maatsen comes on as a late sub for Chelsea every so often because despite spending shinty six billion quid they still don't have a squad, Cullen has done well but is getting relegated back down to the Championship and Bielik has been a member of Championship squads threatened by relegation ever since he left us. Brennan Johnson played 38 Premier League games last season scoring 8 and assisting 3, and he just scored his first Spurs goal the other day. He's 22.
    Well, that's your opinion. Gallagher has 111 Premier League appearances and has ten caps for England. He's 23. 

But getting in argument about who's better, a winger or a CM, doesn't seem like a productive use of time. 

I'm sure Apples has had his dud loans at those clubs as well. 
  • Options
    Garrymanilow seriously testing my respect with this Ulvestad erasure
  • Options
    Personally hoping we sign an older profile of player in the window. Not sure whether we could afford in the budget. For example, some Championship players with a couple hundred league appearances who isn’t playing much football. (I,e Patrick Bauer only player I could think of top of my head etc)
  • Options
    Personally hoping we sign an older profile of player in the window. Not sure whether we could afford in the budget. For example, some Championship players with a couple hundred league appearances who isn’t playing much football. (I,e Patrick Bauer only player I could think of top of my head etc)
    Please don't do that to my heart
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    redbuttle said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    fenaddick said:

What about Josh Cullen?

Well, that's your opinion. Gallagher has 111 Premier League appearances and has ten caps for England. He's 23. 

But getting in argument about who's better, a winger or a CM, doesn't seem like a productive use of time. 

I would agree with you on Gallagher but I didn't actually see him on your list up there. I'd say Gallagher is doing the best of all, but then equally we had him on loan for 6 months and he took in loans at Swansea, West Brom and Palace after that so I'd suggest our influence wasn't as big a part of his development as we like to think. Of course Appleton will have had duds, that's the point. You're picking out the best 4 or 5 loans across our club and comparing that against a manager dealing with different clubs at different levels and different resources, so I think if anything comparing wingers to midfielders is the more logical thing. I also now see that JRS is up there on your list, and any manager is taking Johnson over JRS at this point in time if you want to compare wingers to wingers.
    To look at that Appleton list though and shrug and say there's no comparison is incorrect though, there's enough Premier League experienced players there for him to stand by what he says, which is what we're talking about. His work with Johnson, Roofe and Baldock absolutely improved those players and they're having very good careers.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    redbuttle said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    fenaddick said:

What about Josh Cullen?

I would agree with you on Gallagher but I didn't actually see him on your list up there. I'd say Gallagher is doing the best of all, but then equally we had him on loan for 6 months and he took in loans at Swansea, West Brom and Palace after that so I'd suggest our influence wasn't as big a part of his development as we like to think. Of course Appleton will have had duds, that's the point. You're picking out the best 4 or 5 loans across our club and comparing that against a manager dealing with different clubs at different levels and different resources, so I think if anything comparing wingers to midfielders is the more logical thing. I also now see that JRS is up there on your list, and any manager is taking Johnson over JRS at this point in time if you want to compare wingers to wingers.
    To look at that Appleton list though and shrug and say there's no comparison is incorrect though, there's enough Premier League experienced players there for him to stand by what he says, which is what we're talking about. His work with Johnson, Roofe and Baldock absolutely improved those players and they're having very good careers.
    My last post on this. It boils down to opinions on players, I personally don't think there is any comparison. If this club were offered a choice of five loan players to enhance the squad right now (leaving our positional needs out of the equation):

Option 1

Baldock
    Fiorini
    Patino
    Johnson
    Roofe

Option 2

Gallagher
    Bielik
    Rak-Sakyi
    Maatsen
    Cullen

For me, it's a really easy choice. For you, it might be different and that's fine. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    redbuttle said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    fenaddick said:

What about Josh Cullen?

My last post on this. It boils down to opinions on players, I personally don't think there is any comparison. If this club were offered a choice of five loan players to enhance the squad right now (leaving our positional needs out of the equation):

Option 1

Baldock
    Fiorini
    Patino
    Johnson
    Roofe

Option 2

Gallagher
    Bielik
    Rak-Sakyi
    Maatsen
    Cullen

For me, it's a really easy choice. For you, it might be different and that's fine. 
    Option 2 all day long 
  • Options
    You've got to see where the club is to judge the relative strength of loan players anyway.

Gallagher was when we were in the Championship so you'd expect him to be better than most L1 loans.
  • Options
    If we are seriously going for top 6 we need to invest in two good wingers who can create and are consistent and can defend 
  • Options
    If we are seriously going for top 6 we need to invest in two good wingers who can create and are consistent and can defend 
    Name two players that fit that criteria and will be willing to play in League 1 for us for the money we would pay 🤔
  • Options
    And I suppose you’d let CBT go for £100k as he doesn’t defend well enough?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aren't wingers who can defend wing backs?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    "Wingers who can create and are consistent and can defend"

@RonnieMoore old chap, please give me a list of 6 players in the world who fit into this description 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    His attitude and performance on Wednesday be lucky to 10 quid 
  • Options
    Robinson and Newton were wingers who created numerous chances and supported their full backs 
  • Options
    Let’s face it whoever we sign on loan in January will be either useless or will slip on a banana skin getting out of his car at Sparrows. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    His attitude and performance on Wednesday be lucky to 10 qjust uid 
    I've been interested to read your posts when relating to CBT, and it strikes me you just don't like him. Yet, May aside, he scores good goals and has a good assist ratio.....not bad for a 10 quid player!
    As for wingers who defend....they are called 'wing backs' which CBT isn't!
    However please give me names of players at our level who are out and out wingers who are also good defenders!
    As an ex right winger myself I would readily admit I wasn't good at defending, but going forward was a different matter!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Robinson and Newton were wingers who created numerous chances and supported their full backs 
    I wonder what they are doing now and if they kept fit 😃