Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Options
    Is all this based on fear?
  • Options
    Fear and pessimism. Every year we get told on here we're cashing in on our best players in January and not replacing them, and when's the last time that truly happened? 

If you believe even half of what's posted on the Transfer Rumours every year you'd be close to offing yourself. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Fear and pessimism. Every year we get told on here we're cashing in on our best players in January and not replacing them, and when's the last time that truly happened? 

If you believe even half of what's posted on the Transfer Rumours every year you'd be close to offing yourself. 
    Grant | Holmes | Lookman | Kermorgant are the ones I remember it happening with.

Could be argued it was Roland being Roland with those though
  • Options
    Until such a time we may reach the ‘promised land’ again, we are going to be losing (or cashing in on) anybody who can be described as ‘talented’ and signing players with ‘potential’ to do a job. 

It is all about whether the manager can strike up a 46 game promotion winning campaign from the potential they have to play with and nothing will change in that for the foreseeable.

We’ve had some real yo-yoing transfer windows of late, but the last one gives me more hope than some others in recent history with the likes of May, L Watson, Edun, Taylor and Pan (latter unlucky with injuries) having been signed. The most pleasant surprise of the last window was us holding onto Leaburn for another 6-12 months minimum. 

Rather than rumour, I am hoping the following happens:

Out - Kirk, Walker, Tedic (loan not working as he is being played out of position), Chem Campbell (a bit of the same as Tedic, but to me just isn’t up for it), Pan (only if injury longer term than Jan), Abankwah (what was the point in signing a young CB prospect and playing him at RB (unless Udinese asked us to experiment with him positionally)).

In - a Keeper, a player as comfortable on the wing as they are as a CAM, a left back, a Cullen type CM and a Striker if Leaburn goes. 

Above all, we need a couple more experienced heads in the side. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Attacking wise, we're laughing. I don't think we need consistent wingers in this window, we have to solidify at the back and through the middle. 
    Every player should be able to defend in their area of the pitch. We've got several that can't tackle. It will be an enjoyable experience watching the home games but ultimately ends up mid table or just outside the play-offs
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Attacking wise, we're laughing. I don't think we need consistent wingers in this window, we have to solidify at the back and through the middle. 
    Part of our defending problem is the wingers though. CBT doesn’t seem to want to defend, Tyreece tries hard but he doesn’t fancy it when it comes to a challenge. Appleton will want a new winger that runs in behind (different to TC and CBT who only want it to feet) and works hard off the ball. 

Thinking about it Alfie May might be that winger actually, so if he carries on playing wide right and does well we might not need one 
  • Options
    Thanks, a real rumour
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    A few weeks back I was told we are looking for a strong left sided centre back (Readings was used as an example), a "genuine" number 10 and another fast winger.
    Be curious to see what our recruitment team can muster up, there's loads of good players contracts up soon in this league and the league below. 

Surprised we want a fast winger, already have a couple, I would be more keen on a winger who can put a shift in, slow the game down and drift in and out of the wings. Campbell and CBT both lack that game control. Just thinking about the Lincoln and Pompey wingers were and how effective their versatility was. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    A few weeks back I was told we are looking for a strong left sided centre back (Readings was used as an example), a "genuine" number 10 and another fast winger.
    Surely a left back is needed, even Appleton mentioned that the team looks more fluid without Thomas being used.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Good, but a left back should be our absolute priority imo
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Why? Edun is looking better with each game and Thomas is fine as a backup
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Why? Edun is looking better with each game and Thomas is fine as a backup
    We have Watson too who I’d have above Thomas for that spot. If we sign a left footed centre back then they could be an option at left back too.

I think a centre back is probably our most important signing as that’s the clear weakness even when everyone is fit. I’d still like a left back too though, Edun isn’t the best defensively and I don’t really trust Thomas there 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Be curious to see what our recruitment team can muster up, there's loads of good players contracts up soon in this league and the league below. 

Surprised we want a fast winger, already have a couple, I would be more keen on a winger who can put a shift in, slow the game down and drift in and out of the wings. Campbell and CBT both lack that game control. Just thinking about the Lincoln and Pompey wingers were and how effective their versatility was. 
    I would imagine that the plan is to bring one in to be prepared if CBT does end up leaving. Obviously we would not want him going anywhere but he's definitely one of the more obvious "assets" so better to prepare in case he does go.
  • Options

In - a Keeper, a player as comfortable on the wing as they are as a CAM, a left back, a Cullen type CM and a Striker if Leaburn goes. 

Why would we need to get a keeper in? We've got two already vying for the first team. AMB is doing well, Isted should hopefully be back from his injury before too long and Walker is there to sit on the bench. He didn't look brilliant against Cray Valley but he hardly played as badly as some have made out and he was the best available free transfer we could get in to cover until Isted is back. Anyone else we could get in as backup to replace him would be, at best, at the same level, and buying in a first team level keeper would be a crazy waste of budget because then we'd have three.
  • Options
    The squad is plenty big enough, just question the balance and the mentality of a few. Even left back we have four players who are able to play in that position: Edun, Tennai, Asiimwe and Thomas in a pinch.

The aim should be to replace any planned outgoings, making incremental improvements.

- Kirk out, new attacking winger in.

- Thomas out(?), new centre back who can cover left back more naturally in. Getting a loan for Ness would be brilliant too, if we can get in someone who’s properly going to compete with Hector to partner Jones.

- If Leaburn or CBT leave, replacements for them.

- Loans possibly sent back too? Abankwah, Chem, Tedic all possibles.
  • Options

Why would we need to get a keeper in? We've got two already vying for the first team. AMB is doing well, Isted should hopefully be back from his injury before too long and Walker is there to sit on the bench. He didn't look brilliant against Cray Valley but he hardly played as badly as some have made out and he was the best available free transfer we could get in to cover until Isted is back. Anyone else we could get in as backup to replace him would be, at best, at the same level, and buying in a first team level keeper would be a crazy waste of budget because then we'd have three.
    Because Walkers contract runs only to end of December. We either extend it and keep him as third choice or let him go and get in another option. 

Presumably it will depend on the fitness of Isted and AMB - if either are looking at being out long term then we'd probably aim higher given that we'd need the new GK to be effectively second choice at that point. If they are both available again then Walker probably stays.
  • Options
    Can someone stick an ‘s’ on the end of the thread title please, it’s doing my head in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Because Walkers contract runs only to end of December. We either extend it and keep him as third choice or let him go and get in another option. 

Presumably it will depend on the fitness of Isted and AMB - if either are looking at being out long term then we'd probably aim higher given that we'd need the new GK to be effectively second choice at that point. If they are both available again then Walker probably stays.
    I think it's more likely that if Isted is ready to go back onto the bench in January then Walker goes, and if not then Walker is extended. I don't necessarily see a scenario where we keep all three when fit
  • Options
    CBT will be an interesting one. He could be the difference between sneaking into the playoffs or not. So will be a test of the ownership to see if they'd let him go for money or keep him, hope he can help guide us to playoffs before he goes on a free in summer.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Kirk out, new winger in.

Tedic out, new striker in.

Ness out (on loan) new left sided centre back in.

Camara out, new defensive minded CM in.

Abankwah out, a CAM in to address the imbalance in the squad. 

That's 5 in and 5 out which for a Jan window is a lot, so I expect only 3 or 4 of these to happen
    Unfortunately mate I think that's dreamland, with Kirk I reckon we would have to come to an agreement to terminate his contract. I don't see anyone in this league wanting him so the best we could hope for is a league 2 loan or maybe Wrexham saving us. 

How does it work with injuries? I assume we are responsible now for Camara as he was meant to be here for a year. 

Tedic complete dud and doesn't fit our system, definitely needs to go back. It's tricky, we have made a right shambles out of the loan slots.

The two obvious midfielders to go for in this league would probably be Owen Moxon or Joe Powell, both got a goal in them and playing at smaller clubs.

If we were to lose CBT I would sleep a lot better if we replaced him with someone like Kwame Poku or Aaron Collins, but that's wishful thinking. 

Not sure about league 2 signings now after being stuck by DJ and Kirk, but James Tilley and Davis Keillor-Dunn look like cracking players and will have interest I imagine. For every one Ricky Holmes you get there's probably 2-3 duds. 

One player who is also having a really good season is Dan Crowley of Notts County. Fits the bill of creative midfielder and he was very good against Bradford on the box the other day. Really clever passes breaking the lines and seemed to be their playmaker. Score a lot of goals as well County
  • Options
    I can't imagine a less "Phil Parkinson" player than Kirk. That is not happening.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Grateful to @ButtleJR for the information. I think we can all see that those areas mentioned are where we need to be looking to get players in. As for CBT going I think that one is the most likely as he’s probably worth a Championship punt and he’ll get better money. Miles is different. Much younger and not ready for Championship and definitely not ready for PL. He’s an expensive punt but there will be interested clubs. He’ll be getting loaned out if he goes so at the very least we should be looking for a stay this season and season long loan next plus a good wallop of cash. That’s about as much as we can do because when Miles gets that PL offer it’s going to be life changing for him and we shouldn’t expect him to knock it back. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    CAFCsayer said:
    ButtleJR said:
    I suggested the same and was told it's unlikely we'll be after one. As above tennai and Thomas seen as adequate cover. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I suspect we’re currently looking just as good for most away goals scored in the FA Cup proper this season as well