Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everton Deducted 10 Points - reduced to 6 on appeal (p3)

Comments

• Options
    even with another 6 i think they will be ok sheff and burnley have been horrendous this season. luton play ok but cant seem to score 
    Scored 4 at Newcastle, 4 v Brighton, 3 v Arsenal, 2 v Chelsea. They've actually done ok and better than most people expected. The problem for them is that they shit the bed in their 2 biggest home games of the season and lost to both Burnley and Sheff Utd.
  • Options
    If Burnley weren't absolutely useless it would've put a lot of pressure on Palace. The jammy bastards always just do enough don't they?
    They normally are very comfortable, this season aside.
    Sadly :'(
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Cynical of me - but I wouldn’t be surprised if they looked at the table and realised that Everton are still struggling more than expected to pull away from Luton, and so they needed to give a helping hand. 

They don’t want to lose Everton. 
    Also by being too harsh on Everton they're building a future headache in the justification of a mere wrist slap on the money men at Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal.  
  • Options
    even with another 6 i think they will be ok sheff and burnley have been horrendous this season. luton play ok but cant seem to score 
    Scored 4 at Newcastle, 4 v Brighton, 3 v Arsenal, 2 v Chelsea. They've actually done ok and better than most people expected. The problem for them is that they shit the bed in their 2 biggest home games of the season and lost to both Burnley and Sheff Utd.

The home defeats to Sheffield United and Burnley will almost definitely decide their fate with the 3 teams having the 1 season stay.

Everton getting 4 of the 10 points back has put some daylight for them and increased the danger for Luton who may now have Forest to try to catch. Palace are short of their 3 best players at present but should still have enough to limp to safety.
  • Options
    edited February 27
    It's an odd one with bookies certainly having Luton as favs for the drop but surely this 6 point penalty sets a precedent and so how can they not do the same for Forest and Everton again this season?  Would put Luton ahead of both having played less games and give them a decent chance of survival.  Luton's run in is harmed from having played the 2 weakest teams already but otherwise isn't that awful when compared to Everton for example (who are on quite a winless run currently).
  • Options
    edited February 27
    they seem to just make these point deductions up as they go along. 

surely they should have in place a structured penalty system to deduct points which gets more severe depending on the nature and severity of the transgression. 
  • Options
    edited February 27
    they seem to just make these point deductions up as they go along. 

surely they should have in place a structured penalty system to deduct points which gets more severe depending on the nature and severity of the transgression. 
    Possibly better to have a set deduction regardless of 'crime committed'.
  • Options
    Should be a set sliding scale, a point deducted for every X amount over in the set time period
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Cynical of me - but I wouldn’t be surprised if they looked at the table and realised that Everton are still struggling more than expected to pull away from Luton, and so they needed to give a helping hand. 

They don’t want to lose Everton. 
    I think it's the opposite of that actually. Everton have barely stayed up the past two seasons. Last season they stayed up on the last day by 2 points and the season before that by 4. Any deduction was always going to make it incredibly difficult for them. The Premier League are terrified of this increasing noise of an independent adjudicator which will diminish their control over their product and so they tried to make an example of Everton. Throw the book at a middling team - not competing for honours, not owned by anyone with any real power and in a city where there's already a much bigger team - and show that they can handle their own business. The problem is they went too big with a 10 point deduction and made it a bit too obvious. 10 points is more than you get for going into administration, they still haven't done anything with City's breaches, they punished a team who were very forthcoming and cooperative with the investigation and then proceeded to call them a small club in front of the CMS Committee. 
    This is a re-balancing of a ridiculously punitive deduction with no precedent to make it justifiable. It's always felt like Everton are being used as a sacrifice to ward off the independent adjudicator but if anything it's just made it more clear that one is needed, which can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    Everton have been deducted two points for a second breach of Premier League financial rules.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68723109
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think even with this further deduction which puts them back into the mix they are one of the better teams down there so should be ok.  
  • Options
    lol!... So they started on a 10-pt deduction... reduced to 6-pts... now technically back up to 8-pts
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Rules are rules, but having punishments coming out in drips and drabs is becoming ludicrous. If one of the teams deducted points ends up getting relegated you could imagine a scenario where appeals and court cases drag on over the summer meaning a team like Luton might not know what division they’re playing in. 
    I think that has merit but you can only cross your bridges when you come to them. If when the original deduction was made this latest transgression was not known then it has to be dealt with separately.
  • Options
    The EPL is run by a bunch of imbeciles.........it appears they are picking on Everton but we know there are other clubs who have been breaking the rules for years......pathetic 
  • Options
    agreed - feels like they just randomly pick a number at the moment
  • Options
    Worth remembering the PL is a members club who set their own rules. It shows incredible incompetence to then break them
  • Options
    There needs to be clear and defined punishments for each rule break. Without that there will be appeals and contention every time a punishment is handed out.

Each rule break should come with a defined severity and relevant punishment.

E.g:

£1-2 million over spend on FFP = 1 pt deduction
    £2-4 million = 2 pts
    £5-10 = 4 pts

or whatever as long as it is clear, that way no team can argue and every team gets treated fairly.
    1pt per million should do it. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    There needs to be clear and defined punishments for each rule break. Without that there will be appeals and contention every time a punishment is handed out.

Each rule break should come with a defined severity and relevant punishment.

E.g:

£1-2 million over spend on FFP = 1 pt deduction
    £2-4 million = 2 pts
    £5-10 = 4 pts

or whatever as long as it is clear, that way no team can argue and every team gets treated fairly.
    1pt per million should do it. 
    Man City will be playing Sunday League!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure other clubs will get their day. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Everton have been deducted two points for a second breach of Premier League financial rules.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68723109
    Looks like another W.Ham stay of execution. The EPL wanted a 5 point deduction & the commission agreed, saying that it should be 3 points for going over the £105m limit & another 2 points for it being "significantly" over it. But the commission agreed to only deduct 2 points as they have already had a 4 point deduction.

WTF !!!

It shouldn't work like that. Speeding points don't get reduced because you got some 2 months previously....

Bizarre.

Iirc the points deductions are from TWO different (rolling 3) years. So therefore it should be 2 separate deductions, but imo, 2 similar amounts. 

It really should be 2x 3 points.......so a total of 6 over the 2 years that are being assessed.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Rules are rules, but having punishments coming out in drips and drabs is becoming ludicrous. If one of the teams deducted points ends up getting relegated you could imagine a scenario where appeals and court cases drag on over the summer meaning a team like Luton might not know what division they’re playing in. 

Absolutely nailed it, give this man a promote.

• Options
    The EPL have been quite clear on this.

Any appeals have to be heard within a certain timescale (2 weeks ?) and cant go past the end of the season.
  • Options
    edited April 8
    agreed - feels like they just randomly pick a number at the moment

Perhaps a better option is implement the points deduction the following season, it would avoid situations like this.
    What is going on here is making a mockery of football. Although it's been f***** for years in many other cases.

• Options
    It's an odd one with bookies certainly having Luton as favs for the drop but surely this 6 point penalty sets a precedent and so how can they not do the same for Forest and Everton again this season?  Would put Luton ahead of both having played less games and give them a decent chance of survival.  Luton's run in is harmed from having played the 2 weakest teams already but otherwise isn't that awful when compared to Everton for example (who are on quite a winless run currently).
    I haven't watched any premier league this season, but I expected Luton to beat Derby's record of 11 pts (also hoped it, as I can't stand the scummy twats), but fair play to them for still being in the race. 
  • Options
    With the money around at places like Newcastle, Manchester City, Chelsea and whoever, I would not be surprised if the organisation and oversight in the Premier League is riddled with corruption.
    I see that ex FA head honcho Adam Crozier is a player in the Post Office Horizon scandal.
    If a bit of corrupt effort can affect national election results, it sure as hell can influence matters in the Premier League.
  • Options
    But didn’t Adam Crozier work for The FA who have nothing to do with the running of the Premier League ? 
  • Options
    The only way to weed out this sort of overspending and send a message to the footballing world that the Premier League and PSR are not to be trifled with would be giving the bottom six 20 bonus points