Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Hope it's not going to be, anything we can do, they can do better?

Two teams with much better bowlers than batsmen...
  • Leaning out trying to pull a ball but only succeeding in chopping on for 14 (20)

52-3
  • 54-4

what a joke
  • Just when you think we can't be any more abysmal!
  • many people there today? 
  • redman said:
    many people there today? 
    Reasonable crowd.
  • Finch has 1 from 21. Jaydn looking more fluid.
  • Abbott returning to bowl could decide the game, either way
  • Jaydn out for 19, caught behind off Kelly

76-5 
  • The fact that 13/14 of the wickets have gone to seamers tells us all we need to know about the deck
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 31
    Ekansh looks very solid, but until a nice drive in the last over, lacking in shots in white ball cricket.
  • 94-5 off 25

75 required off 25 which, by my maths, is exactly 3 an over 
  • Looks like we are trying our hardest to lose this.
  • I'm not getting the inference from the commentators that we aren't scoring quickly enough. We don't need to because, at 3 an over, especially with Abbott almost bowled out, the runs will come to us. We can't lose wickets though.
  • Ekansh looks very solid, but until a nice drive in the last over, lacking in shots in white ball cricket.
    He has all the shots I can absolutely assure you. He doesn't need to show them right now. 
  • But that isn't one of them and typical of the decision making I was talking about
  • I'm not getting the inference from the commentators that we aren't scoring quickly enough. We don't need to because, at 3 an over, especially with Abbott almost bowled out, the runs will come to us. We can't lose wickets though.

I really don't get the impression that we've deliberately decided to chase such a small total at 3 an over, knocking off the winning runs in the 50th over...

I really don't get the impression that we've deliberately decided to chase such a small total at 3 an over, knocking off the winning runs in the 50th over...

That's not the case. The intention is to take it deep and reduce the risk in doing so by waiting for the bad balls to come. As they will.  We don't have to worry about getting behind the run rate. The last partnership was virtually 3 an over (which is what we need)  without even trying to push on and in Stobo and Stewart to come, if they have to score 5 or 6 an over, they will.  
  • Hants scored at a faster rate than us but failed to utilise 9 overs. That's potentially 50 plus runs at that stage of the game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stobo hit that 6 which then forced Hants to move mid off back which in turn allowed him to take a single down the ground
  • And then Finch, with the mid-off back up, pumped the bowler over the top too
  • 110-6 off 30

59 required off 20 
  • And then the inexperienced Jack gave Finch a freebie down the legside
  • Stobo hit that 6 which then forced Hants to move mid off back which in turn allowed him to take a single down the ground
    Which is exactly what we weren't doing before, putting pressure on Hampshire.

They've had 2 slips throughout for the seamers, yet we weren't able to find gaps 
  • edited July 31
    Stobo hit that 6 which then forced Hants to move mid off back which in turn allowed him to take a single down the ground
    Which is exactly what we weren't doing before, putting pressure on Hampshire.

They've had 2 slips throughout for the seamers, yet we weren't able to find gaps 
    But it's clearly not that easy otherwise Hants would have done that too. We only needed 3 an over but were still doing that with Finch and Ekansh together and some of those overs involved trying to see Abbott off. The top scorer in the game is Hants number 10 who teed off late. The longer we batted without losing wickets the more chance we had of winning and we get no extra points for winning it 10 overs earlier.  
  • 131-6

Abbott finishes his spell with figures of 10-5-16-3 

38 required off 15 overs 
  • And now the runs are flowing because Hants have to use Kelly and/or Organ now
  • "The frustration is that Kent are now playing sensibly which is not what Hants want" says the commentator. That is all they needed to do. There was never going to be enough scoreboard pressure for us to lose providing we recognised the specific danger of Abbott 
  • And now Hants are in the position where they have to use a sixth bowler because Organ still has 7 overs left (and Hants clearly don't want to bowl him) and there are only 11 overs to go with just 14 runs required