Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

1848586878890»

Comments

• I thought 312 was a great score but the Aussies are making mincemeat of it. 
  • Aussies definitely have the better conditions to bat in 
  • That was the shit shot of a batsman who doesn't respect a bowler at all
  •  Steve Smith getting out to a Bazball shot
  • edited September 27
    Rubbish cricket. 
    What we need is the Hundred 
    There's plenty of room for the Hundred in the calendar especially as the ECB insist we start the cricketing year so early. Here's how it might have looked this year:

The Hundred from 5th April - 3rd May (4 weeks)
    The CC (Monday -Thursdays) & the 50 Over Comp (Saturdays) from 6th May - 10th August (14 weeks)
    The Blast from 11th August to 15th September (5 weeks)

Every comp has its own slot and fans and players know exactly where they stand at any particular point in the season. The Hundred could be re-named "The Easter Hundred" as it would coincide with the hols. Should Easter fall early in any particular year then it could start in March. It's not as if the players (or spectators) would get that cold given that it would be a maximum of 200 balls per day. I mean, as things stand, both factions are expected to be happy with the climate for the 576 balls per day in the CC they currently "endure" in April.

Can't think why the ECB didn't think of this. I might suggest it to Rob Key next time I see him!

• I really like Potts, I hope he gets more chances going forward. He’s never spectacular but seems to do a job more often than not 
  • edited September 27
    fenaddick said:
    I really like Potts, I hope he gets more chances going forward. He’s never spectacular but seems to do a job more often than not 
    He's a proper cricketer with the sort of Durham grit and determination we've witnessed from the likes of Onions, Collingwood, Harmison, Stokes, Wood etc etc
  • I thought 312 was a great score but the Aussies are making mincemeat of it. 
    Think I'll change my view. 

312 looks a long way away. 
  • This guy's gonna be in the side for fucking ever now, Tests included. He's gash, why are Aus playing him so badly ffs 
  • Leuth said:
    Christ I hate this Carse wanker
    You were saying...😄
  • Sponsored links:

• Possibility we can get the Aussies to follow-on here.
  • edited September 27
    Leuth said:

How bizarre !

Harry Brook has kept the pace bowlers on and England has reaped the rewards.
    New era of pace bowlers and great they are all pushing each other and Archer is looking so much sharper than Trent Bridge.
  • Leuth said:

How bizarre !

Harry Brook has kept the pace bowlers on and England has reaped the rewards.
    New era of pace bowlers and great they are all pushing each other and Archer is looking so much sharper than Trent Bridge.
    Honestly I should just delete that post before Chizz sees it 
  • Also, that was some incredibly obviously wrong 3rd umpiring lol
  • Just hope Jofra can be kept fit and doesn't spend the winter playing franchise cricket. 
  • Brilliant performance win by 186 runs.
  • Thought England's total looked too much, unless Head scored a massive ton. Wasn't expecting such a collapse though.

Very positive captaincy by Brook, he went for it and it came off.
  • I hope a series win comes and Brook can take over the captaincy, time for Butler to just be a senior pro 
  • Rubbish cricket. 
    There's plenty of room for the Hundred in the calendar especially as the ECB insist we start the cricketing year so early. Here's how it might have looked this year:

The CC (Monday -Thursdays) & the 50 Over Comp (Saturdays) from 6th May - 10th August (14 weeks)

Every comp has its own slot and fans and players know exactly where they stand at any particular point in the season. The Hundred could be re-named "The Easter Hundred" as it would coincide with the hols. Should Easter fall early in any particular year then it could start in March. It's not as if the players (or spectators) would get that cold given that it would be a maximum of 200 balls per day. I mean, as things stand, both factions are expected to be happy with the climate for the 576 balls per day in the CC they currently "endure" in April.

Can't think why the ECB didn't think of this. I might suggest it to Rob Key next time I see him!

You might want to tweak that schedule slightly - you've got the Hundred scheduled during the IPL. Which isn't going to work, for a very long list of reasons.
  • Rubbish cricket. 

You might want to tweak that schedule slightly - you've got the Hundred scheduled during the IPL. Which isn't going to work, for a very long list of reasons.
    Yes but the Hundred is far, far bigger than the IPL. The Indian players are banned from playing in it anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Series level at 2-2. 5th & final match on Sunday. Series decider.

Just a shame it's in Bristol where another afternoon of rain is forecast. Whereas in London its going to be dry.  Might as well stay in the capital & play at Lords again or at the Oval.
  • Be lucky if they get a 10 over game in looking at the forecast! Shame because the series deserves a proper finale
  • Rubbish cricket. 

Yes but the Hundred is far, far bigger than the IPL. The Indian players are banned from playing in it anyway. 

I wonder if this stance will soften if the IPL owners buy stakes in Hundred teams. Always found it a bit daft they're more than happy for their players to play red ball and the 50 over competition over here but the Blast and hundred are a red line. 
  • Have to say I do like what the Aussies do and play the 50 over comp first and use it as a bit of a warm up. Get it done in about 4 weeks. You’d get bigger players as the 100 wouldn’t take them away. Then play the 100 in whatever window they find suitable with the blast at the end starting about 2 weeks later hopefully able to piggy back on the attention the 100 gets
  • Play the Hundred in its existing slot but don't postpone the County Championship while it's on. Let clubs who lose their overseas player to it recruit a temporary replacement if that's felt to be necessary. There are relatively few grounds needed for the Hundred and a combination of careful timing of fixtures and the occasional run of away games for counties that host the Hundred should mean there's no need for the championship to miss out on playing in high summer which is when God intended cricket to be played.
  • Interesting chat  on the hundred  on the business of sport podcast.  Talking about upping the salary scale to attract the best players worldwide . 
  • Think the problem they have is all the major Aussies are all signing multi year deals with the MLC and see a summer in the States as far more attractive culturally and financially than the Hundred. Unless they're doubling all the salary tiers they're always going to struggle to get the big names. 
  • Anyone here gone to Lords today? 
    I went. Great match, worth the wait. England’s score is the highest ODI against Australia while theirs is the lowest against England. Livingstone’s seven sixes and England’s total of twelve also records. England’s final over was amazing: one of Livingstone’s sixes landed in the middle balcony of the pavilion and Head hit a six over the Mound Stand. It was a full house although about a third left after England’s innings. Potts took three wickets in four balls, Archer’s bowling of Marsh, and Carse of Labuschagne excellent - the look of disbelief on their faces a picture. A memorable game.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Think the problem they have is all the major Aussies are all signing multi year deals with the MLC and see a summer in the States as far more attractive culturally and financially than the Hundred. Unless they're doubling all the salary tiers they're always going to struggle to get the big names. 
    Yeas he said we are 6/7 highest paying competition and they need to be in the top 2 or 3 to attract the players - IPL being streets ahead of the rest financially