Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Hartley?! Yeah, no. He isn't remotely Div 1 quality. Probably isn't pro quality 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Didn't want to put this on any of the specific County threads because it tbh doesn't belong there

It will be interesting with Lancs relegation to Div 2 how many of their centrally contracted players (I know Buttler barely plays for them anyway) and England/Lions players hang around. Can see the likes of Salt,Livingstone ,Jennings,Bohannon,Mahmood and Hartley perhaps being on the move. 
    Some of those are white ball players anyway.

If you're in the England system, they don't care which division of the CC you're in. After all Yorkshire have been in Div 2 for a while now 
  • Leuth said:
    Hartley?! Yeah, no. He isn't remotely Div 1 quality. Probably isn't pro quality 

Don't really know what the selectors saw with him in the first place. Only really added him because he's somehow been around squads. 

(Hopefully Jack Carson gets a look this winter) 
  • Today marks the latest a cricket international has ever been played in England with bad weather due later on. Two fingers to fans that pay good money to watch a game.

• Australia won the toss and given the uncertainty of the weather have put us in. Stone is in for Archer. Australia have Marsh, Carey and Abbott out with Short, Hardie and Connolly coming in. 
  • Leuth must be in heaven - the Aussies have used 5 spinners to date with Labuschagne and Smith still to bowl
  • Bethell has been an experiment worth taking but he really does need time to find his game
  • Bethell has been an experiment worth taking but he really does need time to find his game
    I agree he does. 
    In fact quite a few of the England batsmen 
    Brooke 
    Smith
    Jack's
    Bethell 
    All  young batsmen still learning their game.
    Unfortunately they get very little chance to play 50 overs cricket and learn how to pace their innings. 
    That's because the 50 overs tournament has been completely devalued because of the Hundred. 
    How many 50 overs games did the above batsmen play for their county this season. 
    It's no wonder that at times collapses like today happen.
  • Finding that third spinner is a real issue for us. If one doesn't work for the Aussies they throw the ball to another but neither Jacks nor Bethell are proven at this level. 
  • England doing a "Blackpool"
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/hampshire-sell-majority-stake-to-gmr-group-owners-of-delhi-capitals-1451240

Hampshire confirm a sale of a majority stake in the club to GMR Group - owners of the Delhi Capitals IPL franchise. Rising to 100% within 2 years 
  • Incredible hitting from the young Indian left-handed opener today. 

No, not that one. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-under-19s-in-india-2024-25-1450208/india-under-19s-vs-australia-under-19s-1st-unofficial-test-1450217/live-cricket-score

Check his age for a surprise! 
  • He made his debut in the Ranji Trophy against Mumbai at the age of 12. To put that in perspective, Yuvraj Singh and Sachin Tendulkar were both 15 when they did so
  • Wow. How the hell does a 13 year old have the power to hit 6s at that age!
  • No idea. Here he is batting. These shots are insane. Even if he's 2, 3, 4 years older than he claims (and there doesn't seem to be a dispute) they'd be insane shots 

https://youtu.be/8-GZ7A7BTWw?si=ab8BfYTfLRzF2ZLw
  • Imagine the pressure on him now! The whole of India expecting him to be the next superstar batsman...
  • Imagine the pressure on him now! The whole of India expecting him to be the next superstar batsman...
    Rumour has it that he's signing for Kent next week  :)
    This should be on the jokes thread. 

Already signed for Surrey  😉
  • Wow. How the hell does a 13 year old have the power to hit 6s at that age!
    Dunno, when I was 13 my bowling used to be dispatched like that by other 13 year olds.......
    Rumour has it that he's signing for Kent next week  :)
    We're signing his father.
  • Sponsored links:

• And who is his idol? Kohli? Jaiswal? Sachin? 

"My idol is Brian Lara. I watch his videos and batting style. I just love his 400 not-out innings. I have watched it several times." 

You absolutely love to see it 
  • Leuth said:
    And who is his idol? Kohli? Jaiswal? Sachin? 

"My idol is Brian Lara. I watch his videos and batting style. I just love his 400 not-out innings. I have watched it several times." 

The best innings in my opinion are innings that either win you a Test match or if you are losing it saves the Test.
    Someone batting for days on end meaning the Test will be Drawn is not imo as good as a match winning score.
  • Leuth said:

The best innings in my opinion are innings that either win you a Test match or if you are losing it saves the Test.
    Someone batting for days on end meaning the Test will be Drawn is not imo as good as a match winning score.
    Well done he's 13
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Well done he's 13
    I was referring to Lara as you well know. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Well done he's 13
    I know, but nothing wrong with idolising the 400! WI had already lost the series and anyway should have won but ironically enough Lara dropped Flintoff at slip where if he'd held it they'd have probably done it 
  • A didnt see much cricket during the "summer". The 2 Test series were played in August & September. There was some made up, fancy pants matches in July that had "sets" not overs and could not compare stats as these "sets" lasted for 5 balls and not 6.
  • edited October 1
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Well done he's 13
    I know, but nothing wrong with idolising the 400! WI had already lost the series and anyway should have won but ironically enough Lara dropped Flintoff at slip where if he'd held it they'd have probably done it 
    Windies batted for nearly 3 days eventually declaring on 751 for 5.
    The match then was drawn.
    Had they declared when Lara was on 300 instead of 400 they would have certainly won the test.
    No arguments from me regarding Lara as an all time great batsman but in this instance I believe had he declared on 300 instead of 400 and won the test it would have been a better innings. 
    Just my opinion of course. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Well done he's 13
    Windies batted for nearly 3 days eventually declaring on 751 for 5.
    The match then was drawn.
    Had they declared when Lara was on 300 instead of 400 they would have certainly won the test.
    No arguments from me regarding Lara as an all time great batsman but in this instance I believe had he declared on 300 instead of 400 and won the test it would have been a better innings. 
    Just my opinion of course. 
    It's an interesting question, is it more important to try and get a win, or for the spectators to see something unforgettable. The world Test championship slightly affects this, but as a live spectator, for most series (other than perhaps the Ashes) it's the individual moments that I remember more than the result

West Indies were losing the series 3-0 at the time, so it was a dead rubber anyway.
  • Leuth said:

at the time I was certain that Lara should have been given out lbw for a golden duck .. long before 3rd umpire reviews of course