Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately we’re a club who has only had success with Charlton people at the helm. I’d bite your hand off for Bowyer or Powell, even just to feel a bit of connection when we’re at The Valley. 

Even when we were at our worst, I’d still turn up to support Powell, Bowyer or Jackson. Didn’t even bother coming tonight and that speaks volumes
  • Options
    Something about Nathan Jones that I'm really not too keen on. 

Duff, Eustace, Pearson, Powell, Bowyer.

Any of these would be decent appointments I think. 
    How about Rowett?
  • Options
    Another clueless prick who will be binned by Christmas 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Best man for the job, not some short term emotional fix that will end in tears in September.

if Duff would take it, then he’s ideal 
    If ending in tears in September (and not May) suggests we have stayed up I will take that. 

We need a short term fix because we are dying a slow and painful death.
    And then another transfer window gone, another season started poorly, and the cycle continues, a good appointment now of a Duff or Rowett would keep you up.

Powell as much as we all love him, hasn’t held a head coach role since being sacked at Southend 
  • Options
    To me Duff is a no brainer.

Known to be able to sort out a team defensively, has a promotion on his record, narrowly lost out in the play offs last year and although it didn’t work out at Swansea he has an exceptional record.

He’s someone who you know will be able to hit the ground running. And that’s what we need right now. 

No no no. In any normal situation that’s a decent option but this isn’t a normal situation.

Club is broken and we need to get back what being Charlton Athletic is all about. 

We need to get the magic that makes our club special back or we will go down.

This is a decision that could impact whether we are even around in 12 months time.

We need an appointment that will genuinely get the Valley rocking for the Derby game.

Duff et al won’t do that. 
    Duff will get the valley rocking if he gets the team winning games. It’s simple really.

We ain’t going to win games because the fans will be happier that Powell has been appointed. This is real life, not a fantasy world.

If Powell is good at his job we will win games. I love Chris Powell, but he has been out of management since 2019 and he didn’t do a fantastic job at the two clubs he managed after us.

Duff has been out of management for just over a month, and apart from a blip at Swansea, was exceptional at both Cheltenham and Barnsley.

League one may be 3rd in the football pyramid, but it’s still exceptional competitive and there’s absolutely no room for romance and sentimentalism. 
  • Options
    Call me old fashioned, but I'd break with the current norm and go for joint managers:

Arise Sir Chris and Sir Alan, although not sure how Curbs would cope in the dug out looking at a stand with his name on.

Jokes aside, the next perm appointment is key, I'd get Curbs and/or Powell to see out the season and steer us to safety whilst the brains (!) actually plan the next move rather than knee jerk us into another stupid appointment.

I do think it needs someone who knows the club to come in.

I really struggle sometimes with how much of a mess some people make running a football club. It's really not rocket science for Charlton to be challenging for at least the play off's without breaking the bank, instead we seem to always employ the wrong manager and buy the wrong players and often employ the wrong staff.

Dobson also needs to step up as Captain and rollock those players in the morning, every single one of them.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Best man for the job, not some short term emotional fix that will end in tears in September.

if Duff would take it, then he’s ideal 
    If ending in tears in September (and not May) suggests we have stayed up I will take that. 

We need a short term fix because we are dying a slow and painful death.
    And then another transfer window gone, another season started poorly, and the cycle continues, a good appointment now of a Duff or Rowett would keep you up.

Powell as much as we all love him, hasn’t held a head coach role since being sacked at Southend 
     He hadn't had one at all when he got the job last time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something about Nathan Jones that I'm really not too keen on. 

Duff, Eustace, Pearson, Powell, Bowyer.

Any of these would be decent appointments I think. 
    How about Rowett?
    That’s a great shout 
  • Options
    Powell isn’t the answer for me. Not now. There’s a whole generation of fans now that will feel they have no connection to the man.

If you want to recreate the “Charlton feel” with all generations bought in then you go and get JJ back from AFCW.

I’d take Jacko. With Powell alongside him of course ;)
  • Options
    I’m really not keen on the idea of Duff. Poor at Swansea, no style of football and dismissive of fans and the history of the club. Sound familiar?
  • Options
    It can't be so hard to get players to play out the last 5 minutes and injury time in a tactical way. Any manager should be able to do that at least. I can't believe we are here again. 
     We were going for the win we so desperately needed and quite rightly so.
    We looked far more likely to win than NT, so what tactical way are you talking about?
  • Options
    It isn’t going to be Curbishley or Powell. I know it’s tempting to think if the glory days but we really need to move past that.
  • Options
    edited January 23
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hear our intelligence challenged Senior Management Team already have the next manager lined up.

• Options
    Would absolutely go for Gary Rowett but we have a very long track record of sacking managers twice a season now and are near the bottom of L1 having quite likely already spent much if our transfer budget. Would he come? And will anyone of any pedigree come? And even if they would, will Scott actually be able to spot them. Not hopeful.
  • Options
    Got to be someone who’ll get us safe in League one & allowed to build - SE7 in charge less than a year & have already burnt through 2 managers, must have cost a fair amount in compensation even though the contracts were relatively short in footballing terms 
  • Options
    Anyone who cares about this football club will be an improvement, my heart wants Jacko but head says Duff currently
  • Options
    Nathan Jones: 

Club & roleAppointedIn charge untilMatchesPPM
    Southampton FCSouthampton
    Manager
    22/23 (Nov 10, 2022)   22/23 (Feb 12, 2023)141.07
    Luton TownLuton
    Manager
    19/20 (May 28, 2020)22/23 (Nov 9, 2022)1331.49
    Stoke CityStoke City
    Manager
    18/19 (Jan 9, 2019)19/20 (Nov 1, 2019)380.89
    Luton TownLuton
    Manager
    15/16 (Jan 6, 2016)18/19 (Jan 8, 2019)1701.82
    Brighton  Hove AlbionBrighton
    Caretaker Manager
    14/15 (Dec 23, 2014)14/15 (Dec 31, 2014)22.00
  • Options
    Someone on Twitter claiming we've spoken with Pearson
  • Options
    Think Duff .. is fav Nigel Pearson with Jason Euell as number two , Nathen Jones but sure about him 
  • Options
    They’ll be plenty of names floating around this week. They need to act fast here and get someone in ASAP