Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    Someone on Twitter claiming we've spoken with Pearson
    If he brought Euell with him would it be enough of a Charlton connection?
  • Options
    When was the last time we appointed someone who wasn’t unemployed or already at the club? Was it Powell?
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Any votes for Liz Truss?

Didn't think so...
  • Options
    If Jones was gettable, then I would be more than happy. He’s not a premier league manager, but his record in this league is exceptional 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Get Jorge Costa in 😏

Take Nathan Jones tho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bring back the magic of being a Charlton Athletic fan. It’s the best chance to avoid a catastrophic relegation.

If the board sre reading this - TRUST ME AND LISTEN.

GET. HIM. HOME.

And you just see what the Valley is like for his first game back.

If the rumours are to be believed both the Northampton and Stockport managers turned us down last time which should be a real indication of how far this club has fallen (Not that any of us need reminding). They both clearly felt they were better off staying were they were and they have been proved right. It's not inconceivable to suggest there's a better chance of Stockport playing League One Football than us next year.

What worries me most is at the time of the last appointment it was early enough to still think there might be a chance of play offs etc and Appleton was seemingly the best we could attract. A few months down the line and we are genuinely in a relegation scrap, which is clearly going to make any decent manager think twice.

There have been some interesting names mentioned but if we couldn't attract them a few months ago I struggle to think we will now. And if they were interested a few months ago but we still settled on Appleton then that poses some serious questions for those whose job it was to make the selection.

I can't even begin to count the amount of times over the last few years that I've read on this forum that the club is rotten but never has it felt more accurate than tonight.

We have owners who most of us probably wouldn't recognise if they were stood next to us at the Valley, the only one of them we do recognise is from his last appearance as a clown on Netflix. The ground is the emptiest I have ever seen it and we are now on our third manager of the season heading into a relegation battle.

The whole club needs a massive morale boost and getting SCP back would be the shot in the arm everyone needs. Imagine the atmosphere at the next home game compared to tonight's. 

Don’t want Powell Bowyer or Jackson 

• Options
    Rothko said:
    If Jones was gettable, then I would be more than happy. He’s not a premier league manager, but his record in this league is exceptional 
    with one club. I doubt he’d here but you never know. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    It isn’t going to be Curbishley or Powell. I know it’s tempting to think if the glory days but we really need to move past that.
    Tried it. Fucked it up.
  • Options
    Why do some have this obsession with needing someone who has a connection to the club?
  • Options
    Pearson will be another 30 game man

my shortlist
    duff
    duff
    duff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As Curbishley said...go for someone in work maybe rather than lacking ambition by limiting ourselves to who is available at the time whenever we have our regular crises.
    Agree with this. There’s a reason the last several
    have been immediately available.
  • Options
    We have to stop leaking goals, make no mistake about it. You don't have to do much in this league to not totally fuck it up. Be organised, make sure people know their jobs and play people who do as they are told 

I dont think the head coach/manager is anything to do with recruitment currently and what we really, really need is someone who is defensively aware. We have to stop being target practice for everyone. We also need to put the fucking ball in the box when it goes wide, every time and not over egg possession all the time. 

Dominate the midfield, be organised

Michael Duff would be a great shout 
    Gary Rowett 
    Mick Mccarthy 
    Leam Richardson 
    Alex Neill 

All that said, I'd never have sacked Powell, Bowyer or Jackson. There is a lot to be said about our club in having someone who really understands stuff rather than playing and saying platitudes. I think the influence a character like that will have is diminished due to the model with Andy Scott being in charge of signing players. 

• Options
    We need someone who plays 3-5-2 or a variation of, our squad is now completely set up for this formation with no wingers and an abundance of CMs. Duff fits that bill, does Jones?
  • Options
    Duff or Eustace for me. Nathan Jones's spells at Stoke and Southampton worry me. 
  • Options
    At this point I am genuinely concerned a new manager may not be enough 
  • Options
    As Curbishley said...go for someone in work maybe rather than lacking ambition by limiting ourselves to who is available at the time whenever we have our regular crises.
    I get the sentiment but who currently in work who is doing well, and is proven at this level, who is going to come to us.

Plenty of managers who are out of work have done exceptionally well at this level and are available. It’s about choosing the right one, and not Michael Appleton.