Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Pearson and Jones both difficult characters (Jones just a dick really) but would take a gamble on either of them if they'd manage at this level wouldn't have thought either of them would especially with us this low in the table.

I half get the Powell thing if it was til the end of the season, but I'm pretty sure he isn't an answer for more than an immediate bump
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I honestly think Nathan Jones would sort them out in no time. 
    Is his time at Stoke and Southampton not a red flag though? Another manager on the way down?
  • Options
    edited January 23
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Is his time at Stoke and Southampton not a red flag though? Another manager on the way down?
    Southampton near the bottom of the Prem to us near the bottom of League One is a hell of a gap for him to be somewhere in the middle to be fair
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    He got out of his depth at Southampton, but this is a completely different scenario. This is about getting players to understand their roles and perform them competently. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Why do some have this obsession with needing someone who has a connection to the club?
    Look at our managerial record. The ones that have succeeded haven’t come with outrageous experience but they get what it’s about and get a tune out of second rate league one footballers.
    And what about the ones that failed or does having a Charlton connection not apply to them?
    Which ones failed? Can only recall Jackson being the only manager with a Charlton connection to not get us promoted and that was an impossible task during the time he was given.

Pardew is about the only Charlton connected failure I can think of?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Why do some have this obsession with needing someone who has a connection to the club?
    Look at our managerial record. The ones that have succeeded haven’t come with outrageous experience but they get what it’s about and get a tune out of second rate league one footballers.
    And what about the ones that failed or does having a Charlton connection not apply to them?
    Of course it doesn’t. But having a Charlton connection is a starting point because of it. It’s not automatically given like not having one isn’t. But you asked a question.
  • Options
    I want the next one in charge to keep us up. Not start their project, not impose a style, not wait for the next pre season or transfer window, but bloody well keep us up this season.

I am afraid we need to plan for the short term, not the long one.
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Jones and Dyer sound like a good combination, both worked here previously. Dyer an assistant in a record breaking side. I would be happy with that 

Duff was excellent at this level with Barnsley and Cheltenham. Knows how to get the best out of May. 

Eustece - I think he still has enough credit after the Bham sacking to get the right champ job. Was clearly squeezing every bit he could out that side. 

I’ve always liked the look of Neil Critchley at Blackpool. He has them performing very well in his first term and they’re a good side now 

Never going to happen but the Pompey boss is excellent. We would never get him just thought I mention him 

Would also add Michael Beale. Might be out of a job at Sunderland soon. Coached with us an ex youth player. Has had some poor spells at Rangers and Sunderland, equally had QPR playing at a much higher level than now so who knows 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Which ones failed? Can only recall Jackson being the only manager with a Charlton connection to not get us promoted and that was an impossible task during the time he was given.

Pards, JJ and Reed were my first thoughts. 

colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Of course it doesn’t. But having a Charlton connection is a starting point because of it. It’s not automatically given like not having one isn’t. But you asked a question.
    But that's why I asked because then if there isn't an obvious benefit in terms of being a success why do people want it? I get why people are wary about bringing in unknowns after the recent record, they weren't shit because they didn't have a Charlton connection previously, they were just shit.
  • Options
    What a mess we’ve got ourselves in. 

It’s got to such a position we can’t even put someone in place for a 16-month project to attack promotion, our first priority is to get someone to spark enough positive short-term reaction to keep us up. Out of L2 FFS! 

Get this wrong and a manager doesn’t get a positive turn then we are f***ed. As @ValleyGary said, the dressing room is rotten. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Alex Dyer at The Valley tonight apparently, worked with Jones and Powell.
    And Pardew...
  • Options
    Discounting internal appointments (Bowyer and Jackson were here already and got the job through successful caretaker spells) many of our appointments since Bowyer have been quite random.

Adkins - a bit of a forgotten man when he was appointed
    Garner - an owner deciding he wanted to change the style of play
    Holden - not someone linked with other jobs, was in the stands watching us (with Scott and co), then in charge amid the confusion of the on/off takeover
    Appleton - journeyman manager, I still can't work out what his style of football actually is
  • Options
    Nigel Pearson is my guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Pards, JJ and Reed were my first thoughts. 

colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    But that's why I asked because then if there isn't an obvious benefit in terms of being a success why do people want it? I get why people are wary about bringing in unknowns after the recent record, they weren't shit because they didn't have a Charlton connection previously, they were just shit.
    But I’m trying to say even tho it’s not a given, the last two that got us promotion have been Charlton. Jackson was Charlton and it didn’t work out which agrees with your point; but the last two successful were. People will revert to type.
  • Options
    18 games to play and I reckon we need 5 wins to stay up. This squad should be good enough for that. Motivation is key....and a bit more nouse at the back.
    A decent new manager bounce would get us almost there I reckon. A few streaky draws and we're home
  • Options
    18 games to play and I reckon we need 5 wins to stay up. This squad should be good enough for that. Motivation is key....and a bit more nouse at the back.
    A decent new manager bounce would get us almost there I reckon. A few streaky draws and we're home
    It’s ridiculous we are even in this position. Both Camera & Aneke are very good players at this level when fit. Got to hope those two can remain fit after returning from injury. 
  • Options
    Feels like now is completely the wrong situation to go for someone that's unproven , it's the wrong time to go and find the next Kieran McKenna from a PL Club or look at someone like Andy Hughes at Norwich. 

Got to be someone that's got experience of being a No1. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Feels like now is completely the wrong situation to go for someone that's unproven , it's the wrong time to go and find the next Kieran McKenna from a PL Club or look at someone like Andy Hughes at Norwich. 

Got to be someone that's got experience of being a No1
     Minefield isn't it. Appleton had lots of experience of being a number one but looked more like a number 4 or 5 when he was here.
  • Options
    Hearing Kieron Dyer was at the Valley tonight.
  • Options
    This is good thinking, something tangible to relate to, the task ahead.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    sm said:
    If need someone with a Charlton connection should consider Andy Hughes currently coaching at Norwich - but I would hope the regime already have a decent candidate lined up as Appleton's departure was hardly unseen.
    Hughes not what we need at the moment.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Got to be someone that's got experience of being a No1
     Minefield isn't it. Appleton had lots of experience of being a number one but looked more like a number 4 or 5 when he was here.

Yeah it's a complete minefield , it feels like we've had a bit of everything in terms of managerial appointments in recent years.