Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Preview: Blackpool vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Blackpool vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 27th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Drysdale

Introduction
Once again its a step into the unknown for Charlton fans this coming Saturday - Michael Appleton was correctly given his marching orders, straight after Tuesday's home defeat against Northampton, and so created a longer list of Managers who've failed to last a single season since Lee Bowyer left the club - The Addicks make the trip up to Lancashire this weekend; Blackpool, our next opponents, before we head into what will no doubt be... a very tough February Fixture List.

The Opposition
Name: Blackpool (8th) | Manager: Neil Critchley
Ground: Bloomfield Road
Previous League Result: Bristol Rovers 1-2 Blackpool

Whilst Charlton are starting to look fearfully behind them, its our opponents who are rightfully looking upwards and continue their chase towards the Play-Offs... Victory for the home side this weekend, with results going their way, could see Blackpool just a point behind 6th spot (currently occupied by Oxford United) - If you were a betting man, then victory for the Tangarines is a likely outcome, even with two Managers this season, our form on the road has been nothing short of diabolical, so with an Interim Manager, to come away from the North West with a point would be considered a success.

However Blackpool come into this game as a team in form, rather than as a team without an identity and full of individuals - They've won their last three games, two of those coming at home (against Exeter and Lincoln), the other last Saturday... a 2-1 win at Bristol Rovers - Whilst they've not failed to pick up three points at Bloomfield Road since the end of November, a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Northampton Town.

It seems on that front we have many things in common with Blackpool, along with a hatred of Michael Appleton, and the question of: "Will Albie Morgan finally show his potential this season" - The ex-Academy Graduate appears to be in fine form at present, and with six goals and four assists in all competitions this season has already bettered any campaign whilst in SE7 - A change of scenery, and a fresh start after five years at Charlton, was perhaps, just what the Doctor ordered.

Charlton Team News
For the Addicks who knows how we'll approach this game, new man in charge means there could be a list of changes as long as our Managerial History

Ashley Maynard-Brewer didnt exactly provide much confidence at times on Tuesday night, and with Harry Isted now back in training, we could see a change of Goalkeeper between the sticks - Elsewhere and Terrel Thomas stepped into the defence for the second half against Northampton, and showed a calmness we didnt see in Lloyd Jones... If there are to be changes then you'd expect it to be understandable, however we need to start seeing stability, with familiarity breed between these players...

The January Transfer Market has seen us revert formations once again, it would be ludicrous to give up on that so soon... However we may not have a choice this particular Saturday, given the even more ridiculous decision to hand Tayo Edun his marching orders. Frustrating when there is no way to even appeal the decision.

Isted
T.Watson - Edmonds-Green - Gillesphey - Thomas
Coventry
Dobson - Bakinson
L.Watson
May - Ladapo

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Asiimwe - Jones - Ness - Fiorini - T.Campbell - Kanu

Comments

• Options
    North west... :)
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    We'd probably do better if we headed for the north east. 
  • Options
    I’ve been putting money on us losing the last few weeks, use the profit each time to bet on the next defeat.

This time I’ve also put money on Morgan to score at any time.

At least it’ll be interesting to see how Fleming and Pearce line us up and what they can get out of the team.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    AMB did make two exceptional saves on Tuesday, so I cannot see him being dropped just yet. Watson (T) was injured, and I expect him to be missing - Assimwe to replace him. While Thomas is the obvious left back replacement for Edun, I'd prefer to see Toby Bower given his debut, to finally show us some of his potential. If they play 3-5-2 again, the pressure would be off him a little.

AMB
    Assimwe - REG - Thomas - Gillesphey - Bower
    Coventry - Dobson - Bakkinson
    Ladapo - May

Subs - Isted, Ness, Jones, Fiorini, Watson (L), Campbell, Kanu

Still think we'll lose 2-1 though...
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Had the Map upside down ;)
  • Options
    Morgan will score and we will almost certainly lose.
  • Options
    A must win in our battle to avoid relegation.
  • Options
    A dozen of my lot on the train now.
    Making a weekend of it.
    Hopefully they will be so pissed come 3pm tomorrow the result won't matter. 

2 2 draw for what it's worth 
  • Options
    Crucially depends on the coaches making us difficult to beat, that means the defensive nous has to be found from somewhere. Totally agree with FA replacing AMB, but what's in front of the goalkeeper has to change in terms of their defensive mindset. two all for me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can see Edmonds-Green at right wing back with Watson at left wing back. Might not agree with it myself but it’s something I can see happening.

Think there is likely to be a couple of other changes too but I just don’t know who will come in.

In the presser he mentioned the midfield being “grand” so that might stay the same?

AMB
    Edmonds-Green Thomas Jones Gillesphey T.Watson
    Coventry Dobson
    Bakinson
    May Ladapo
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Well done FA, now you have done the preview it should mean we will get at least one new player in today, although as they have to be signed by now to play tomorrow, it's looking doubtful 
  • Options
    Terrible ref .. before we even start … is this a free hit for us Blackpool have one of the best home records in all the divisions .. interesting to see what system we play expect to be a little  more defensive .. ..

this is so a cert home win that I am going for 1-2 win the Charlton smash and grab raid 
  • Options
    Would love to think we'll bounce back post Appleton and get a win but think this will prove too tough a test
  • Options
    edited January 26
    I fully agree @Nicholas
    although I’d go with

AMB/Isted

REG
    Jones
    Gillesphey
    Assimwe

Dobbo

Cov
    Bakinson

May

Ladapo
    Kanu

May to move up top when one of the strikers tires and replace him with L Watson 
  • Options
    edited January 26
    3/1 now for a top half finish. Was 11/8 before the last 2 defeats. Should go out a long way further if/ when we get beaten all through February but it's close in the middle - only 4 points currently to Lincoln in 12th - and that gap should remain narrow. Only bet what you can afford to lose, obviously.
  • Options
    27th of Jan is historically a very good day for us. On dates in which we've played 5 or more games this is the date we have the best win percentage on, 8 wins, 3 losses, 0 draws. For those interested, previous games are below:

1923 - 3-0 Win Brentford (A)
    1934 - 1-0 Loss Birmingham (A)
    1936 - 2-1 Win Barnsley (A)
    1951 - 1-0 Win Liverpool (H)
    1961 - 2-1 Win Derby (H) - FA Cup
    1973 - 2-1 Loss Rotherham (H)
    1976 - 3-0 Win Portsmouth (A) - FA Cup
    1990 - 1-0 Loss West Brom (A) - FA Cup
    1993 - 2-0 Win Bristol Rovers (A)
    2001 - 1-0 Win Dag & Red (A) - FA Cup
    2009 - 1-0 Win Crystal Palace (A)

So therefore, caretaker bounce, Albie Morgan shocker and we somehow come home with a 2-1 win!
  • Options
    A must win

My mates and I going to this - 8.30 train tmrw morning from Euston - we are getting off at Lytham, as this pub has been recommended by a client of mine - I’ve never been to Blackpool, but I am reliably informed it’s a dump 

https://www.greeneking.co.uk/pubs/lancashire/taps 
  • Options
    We won’t win another game till March. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    be a good test of the player's morale now that silly bollocks has got the heave .. let's hope that the unfit new signings have done a few laps round Sparrows Lane to get a lot more stamina into their systems, cos they'll need it against a decent team that's won its last three

An Addicks win against the odds to get us started back on track

• Options
    oh, forgot to add, 4 4 2 please Mr Fleming
  • Options
    Why are people putting Jones in before TT, when he has been playing so badly lately? I suppose they can only hope Jones will play better under a new manager
  • Options
    0-2 win, May with both goals, COYR!
  • Options
    edited January 26
    If its a diamond then Thomas shouldn’t be at left back, we would have no attacking threat down the left. 

I’d play 3-5-2 with Asiimwe on the right and T.Watson the left. Then REG, Thomas and Gillesphey as the back 3

Watson needs to come into the midfield 3 too, we need more creativity and progression 
  • Options
    Any formation is viable in this league - aside from the 442 which has coincidentally been placed on display in the British History Museum - and the mix is proven by the jumble of formations that have been promoted. We can play a 352 if the defence is drilled and focused like a military unit instead of resembling a clown college for the criminally insane. Hopefully Fleming will inspire the difference.
  • Options
    Hopefully this becomes a bit of a release for the players, battling draw would be a good result 1-1.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Croydon said:
    Would love to think we'll bounce back post Appleton and get a win but think this will prove too tough a test
    I don’t think any of the teams in League One are all that amazing. Step up a bit and we shouldn’t be all that far away from the top six sides, especially without MA ballsing up team selection, tactics and substitutions.  With the possible exception of Bolton. 
    Not saying we’ll win though. 7/2 with the bookies. 
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    Backs to the wall stuff ,  nil nil and heading for a valuable point until the 97th minute when a Jones clearance hits Thomas on the back of the head leaving all 3 keepers helpless.

AMB / Isted / Ward 

REG
    Jones
    Gillesphey
    Assimwe
    Thomas 
    Ness

Dobbo

May