Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Preview: Blackpool vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    A must win in our battle to avoid relegation.

A must not lose.
    0-0 which sounds impossible but would really be positive as it means we must be getting in blocks or have a better defensive shape or I will even take Blackpool being Profligate in front of goal as long as if get at least a draw. 
  • Options
    edited January 26
    I agree. I think a draw and a clean sheet would be a big step forward and would go some way to instilling confidence back in the players.
  • Options
    We won’t win another game till March. 
    That's the spirit Phil

Sadly you could be right. Lets all hope not eh?
  • Options
    0-2 to Charlton. A win and a clean sheet. Peasy easy
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Nicholas said:
    Surely its time for a 4-4-2 diamond, we have the team for it. 3-5-2 was crap when Jackson did it, 4-3-3 was crap when Robinson, Atkins,Appleton did.  4-4-2 Diamond was good under Bowyer (promotion), 4-4-2 flat was good under Powell (promotion)  Keep it simple too many managers now days think they can be Pep or Jurgen Klopp and get these shit players in league 1 and 2 playing football from the back. Half the prem teams cant do it ffs, what chance have we.

My team for tomorrow would be

AMB

WATSON  JONES GILLESPHEY THOMAS

DOBSON

COVENTRY      BAKINSON

L WATSON

LADAPO   MAY

There is no attacking threat from either side of the pitch. It would be fine were we going for a no score draw, but with that back four no chance...
    We have sold our only good winger so any version of 442 is a non starter from an attacking viewpoint.
    For this game I would have 5 defenders and 2 defensive mids and try to keep a clean sheet playing 532

Isted

REG Jones Ness Gillesphy  Thomas
    Dobson Coventry Bakinson
    Ladapo May
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Real tough game for us specially the way we are just now but hopefully now Apps has gone we just might see the team show what they are capable of
    Not going myself shame as I always liked doing the weekend up there 
    Good on those who are going have a safe trip & hopefully see us get a win COYR  B)
  • Options
    Battling 9-0 loss.

Blackpool battle.
    Charlton bottle.
  • Options
    I actually think we will get something out of this game. Personally I would start Isted ahead of AMB and Jones needs to go on the bench
  • Options
    Start of a really tough period. With our away record and their home record there should only be one outcome. A change of formatiion possibly as that 3 at the back really hasn't been too rewarding. Narrow defeat, 2-1 Blackpool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comfortable 5-0 away victory so we can have a conspiracy theory the players had downed tools for MA and CBT was a bad influence on the squad 😆
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Jones needs benching. I'd also bench T Watson and bring in Asiimwe. Thomas would have to start on the left. As for a lack of attacking width, I think it is less important in this game than one where the onus is on us to make the running. I would be tempted to play a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-3-2 with a deep sitting midfielder for this but not sure there is the freedom to do that.
  • Options
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-woes-worsen-fans-wonder-magic-ever-return-b1135138.html

Great piece by Rick Everett on the eve of this match. 2-0 defeat looms.
  • Options
    2 - 0
  • Options
    We're 12/1 to be relegated. 25/1 a couple of weeks back.

Will be delighted to get a draw or better away from home but don't see us getting anything and fully expect Albie to demonstrate what we are missing.
  • Options
    Jonesy instead of REG? I hope not. 
  • Options
    Anyone going looking for a decent pub before the game 
    Head to the bridge its just around the corner from the ground good down to earth pub decent prices
     Been in there a few times always a good crowd & something going on highly recommend it
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Head to the bridge its just around the corner from the ground good down to earth pub decent prices
     Been in there a few times always a good crowd & something going on highly recommend it
    Went in there with the Mrs a couple of years ago when the luminations were on. Was very seedy in there and full of those you wouldn't want to meet after 11pm. Match day may be different. We swiftly drank up and left.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Went in there with the Mrs a couple of years ago when the luminations were on. Was very seedy in there and full of those you wouldn't want to meet after 11pm. Match day may be different. We swiftly drank up and left.
    It's not that bad they welcome away supporters as well 
    Most pubs in Blackpool are full of people like that it's just what Blackpool is like these days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Narrow defeat I’m afraid, 2-1. If we can stay out of the bottom four come end February I think we will be ok. 
  • Options
    Jaggy Thistle was always interesting
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I fully agree @Nicholas
    although I’d go with

AMB/Isted

REG
    Jones
    Gillesphey
    Assimwe

Dobbo

Cov
    Bakinson

May

Ladapo
    Kanu

May to move up top when one of the strikers tires and replace him with L Watson 
    Jones?  JONES??  
  • Options
    TEL said:
    if I'd be putting Jones on the bench at best. 
    Gillesphy, REG and Thomas as a back three, Asimwe and Watson playing just in front as narrow wb's 

Keep it tight and compact with a Diamond in front with Dobbo doing the main defensive work, Bakinson helping out Watson and Coventry covering Asimwe. Louie Watson behind May and Ladapo leading the line. 
    Looks good to me. 
  • Options
    If we win, I will be praising Scott, who is a genius.
    If we lose, I will be calling for the instant sacking of Fleming, who is not. 
    If we draw, I will wait patiently for the new full time appointment chosen (eventually) by Scott who is a genius. 

How much is this bloke paid by the way?

1-1
  • Options
    edited January 27
    I have no idea why, but I think we will get at least a point here. Could it be new 'interim' manager bounce? Or maybe all the new players have had more time to bed in? Ladapo getting fitter? A new back 3 REG, Gillesphey, Thomas?
    Or, finally, Fleming/Pearce have instilled some much needed confidence and defensive nous?
    We need to turn thins around, today, i think will be the day!........Hopefully!
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Nicholas said:
    Surely its time for a 4-4-2 diamond, we have the team for it. 3-5-2 was crap when Jackson did it, 4-3-3 was crap when Robinson, Atkins,Appleton did.  4-4-2 Diamond was good under Bowyer (promotion), 4-4-2 flat was good under Powell (promotion)  Keep it simple too many managers now days think they can be Pep or Jurgen Klopp and get these shit players in league 1 and 2 playing football from the back. Half the prem teams cant do it ffs, what chance have we.

My team for tomorrow would be

AMB

WATSON  JONES GILLESPHEY THOMAS

DOBSON

COVENTRY      BAKINSON

L WATSON

LADAPO   MAY

There is no attacking threat from either side of the pitch. It would be fine were we going for a no score draw, but with that back four no chance...
    We have sold our only good winger so any version of 442 is a non starter from an attacking viewpoint.
    For this game I would have 5 defenders and 2 defensive mids and try to keep a clean sheet playing 532

Isted

REG Jones Ness Gillesphy  Thomas
    Dobson Coventry Bakinson
    Ladapo May
    Where’s the attacking threat here ?!
  • Options
    Last time they didn't win at home is the same time we won our last game - end of November. 

I know I've said it a few times lately but I think we'll win this won. And keep a clean sheet too. 

0-2.