Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Preview: Blackpool vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Southbank said:
    Nicholas said:
    Surely its time for a 4-4-2 diamond, we have the team for it. 3-5-2 was crap when Jackson did it, 4-3-3 was crap when Robinson, Atkins,Appleton did.  4-4-2 Diamond was good under Bowyer (promotion), 4-4-2 flat was good under Powell (promotion)  Keep it simple too many managers now days think they can be Pep or Jurgen Klopp and get these shit players in league 1 and 2 playing football from the back. Half the prem teams cant do it ffs, what chance have we.

My team for tomorrow would be

AMB

WATSON  JONES GILLESPHEY THOMAS

DOBSON

COVENTRY      BAKINSON

L WATSON

LADAPO   MAY

There is no attacking threat from either side of the pitch. It would be fine were we going for a no score draw, but with that back four no chance...
    We have sold our only good winger so any version of 442 is a non starter from an attacking viewpoint.
    For this game I would have 5 defenders and 2 defensive mids and try to keep a clean sheet playing 532

Isted

REG Jones Ness Gillesphy  Thomas
    Dobson Coventry Bakinson
    Ladapo May
    Where’s the attacking threat here ?!
    I’ll let you into a little secret, we’re after a clean sheet and parking the bus for a point with anything else a bonus, May or Ladapo should know where the net is if we manage a smash and grab 😉.
  • Options
    I think starting Lapado is a mistake. I like the signing and have been calling for it for a while. He needs to come on and get his match fitness from the bench though. May and Kanu should start for me. I also feel Kanu is close to making a major breakthrough and that is something we really need going forwards.
    Hear! Hear! Kanu should have started the last two games. He was a shot in the arm against Posh and currently carries a greater threat than Ladapo.
    Even the clueless Appleton acknowledged that Ladapo wasn’t match fit (didn’t stop him starting him though of course!).
  • Options
    Last Monday I thought Charlton would have beaten Northampton and then go on to beat Blackpool 1-0. Thought things would have changed after last weekend. 
    Basically we have afew good players who give their all. A few youth who look promising, and the rest is loans or players who look disinterested from what I have been told.

Start a fresh from today prove to fans you are willing to give your all.  If you can’t do that then please don’t put your boots on.

Blackpool never been a happy hunting ground for us . Don’t expect anything different this afternoon.
  • Options
    The day Charlton p*ss off the footie accumulator punters 2-1 to the Addicks - Ladapo finds his feet…
  • Options

A point will be a small stepping stone back to mid-table security. Maybe "against all odds" but the pendulum  must swing our way eventually. Lets start by capitalising on some lucky breaks.Someone else says the ref is poor - so we may get the benefit of some bad decisions? for once.
    Score -draw , everything crossed. An Interim manager bounce.
  • Options
    1-2....'New' manager bounce.
  • Options
                     AMB/ISTED
           REG Thomas gillesphey 
    Asiimwe.                            T.Watson 
                  Dobbo bakinson 
                         L.watson 

May      Kanu 

This would be my team with cov N ladapo v good options from the bench when needed 45-60mins in 

• Options
                     AMB/ISTED
           REG Thomas gillesphey 
                  Dobbo bakinson 
                         L.watson 

May      Kanu 

This would be my team with cov N ladapo v good options from the bench when needed 45-60mins in 

I’d stop playing with 3 at the back, we aren’t up to it and it’s costing us too many goals. 

I’d go:

GK: Isted

RB: Reg
    CB: Jones
    CB: Gillesphey 
    LB: Thomas

DM: Dobson
    CM: L Watson
    CM: Coventry
    AM: Bankinson

CF: May (as a 10)
    CF: Lapado (although I haven’t been too impressed so far)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
                     AMB/ISTED
           REG Thomas gillesphey 
                  Dobbo bakinson 
                         L.watson 

May      Kanu 

I’d stop playing with 3 at the back, we aren’t up to it and it’s costing us too many goals. 

I’d go:

Yeah maybe that diamond is a shout and a solid back four. 
    Same re ladapo if not got fitter/sharper Wud start Kanu and bring him on last 30
  • Options
    TEL said:
    if I'd be putting Jones on the bench at best. 
    Gillesphy, REG and Thomas as a back three, Asimwe and Watson playing just in front as narrow wb's 

Keep it tight and compact with a Diamond in front with Dobbo doing the main defensive work, Bakinson helping out Watson and Coventry covering Asimwe. Louie Watson behind May and Ladapo leading the line. 
    Thanks for the  likes chaps but it means we would be playing rush goalie 
    😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊
  • Options
    Hoping Isted and Louie Watson return. 
  • Options
                     AMB/ISTED
           REG Thomas gillesphey 
                  Dobbo bakinson 
                         L.watson 

May      Kanu 

Fair play, starting two keepers might be the way we finally get a clean sheet 
  • Options
    A real result for us is if we keep a clean sheet. Park the bloody bus if necessary.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
                     AMB/ISTED
           REG Thomas gillesphey 
                  Dobbo bakinson 
                         L.watson 

May      Kanu 

I’d go:

Yeah maybe that diamond is a shout and a solid back four. 
    Same re ladapo if not got fitter/sharper Wud start Kanu and bring him on last 30
    Won’t be solid with Jones in it. 
  • Options
    edited January 27
    Just to worry you all, if we lose and the four clubs below us get at least a draw, we would be 20th. If Reading win at home, we would only be 1 point above them and relegation place. Happy thoughts 😫
  • Options
    Even if CF & JP knock some sense and shape into the team, with, still, so many players not match fit and of course the Albie Morgan factor, can’t see anything other than a defeat.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
                     AMB/ISTED
           REG Thomas gillesphey 
                  Dobbo bakinson 
                         L.watson 

May      Kanu 

I’d go:

It’s not the formation costing us goals…

Back three last three games we’ve shipped 7 goals. Back four in the three games before that, we shipped 7 goals.

We have just bought two centre backs who historically play better as a three rather than as a pair in a four. It would be crazy to switch formation back to what wasn’t working before IMO. But then again I suppose it all depends on Fleming’s preferences.
  • Options
    Looks like Asiimwe is with the first team squad, he's not with the u21s today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Asiimwe was an obvious thing to try that for some reason Appleton overlooked as well as continuing to play Jones when his confidence was shot.
  • Options
    he's bob bob bobbin along

Robin in Guildford

• Options
    They've got far too much for us going forward. 2-0 or 3-1
  • Options
    Clean sheet win would be nice 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    No Anderson with the U21s either. Surely he won't be needed in the matchday 18, with the number of midfielders we have?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Crucially depends on the coaches making us difficult to beat, that means the defensive nous has to be found from somewhere. Totally agree with FA replacing AMB, but what's in front of the goalkeeper has to change in terms of their defensive mindset. two all for me. 
    I agree that AMB's place in the team could be under threat, but I'm not sure putting ForeverAddickted in goal is the answer though.
  • Options
    edited January 27
    I would go with

Isted

REG Jones Gillesphey

Asiimwe Dobson Coventry Watson

Bakinson

May Ladapo

Just let Asiimwe do what he does best and bomb up and down the line all game and ask REG to cover him. In that way, you’re not far off a 3 at the back vs back four hybrid system.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    No Anderson with the U21s either. Surely he won't be needed in the matchday 18, with the number of midfielders we have?
    Think they usually have a few more than 18 to cover any late injuries/illness etc.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Southbank said:
    Nicholas said:
    Surely its time for a 4-4-2 diamond, we have the team for it. 3-5-2 was crap when Jackson did it, 4-3-3 was crap when Robinson, Atkins,Appleton did.  4-4-2 Diamond was good under Bowyer (promotion), 4-4-2 flat was good under Powell (promotion)  Keep it simple too many managers now days think they can be Pep or Jurgen Klopp and get these shit players in league 1 and 2 playing football from the back. Half the prem teams cant do it ffs, what chance have we.

My team for tomorrow would be

AMB

WATSON  JONES GILLESPHEY THOMAS

DOBSON

COVENTRY      BAKINSON

L WATSON

LADAPO   MAY

There is no attacking threat from either side of the pitch. It would be fine were we going for a no score draw, but with that back four no chance...
    We have sold our only good winger so any version of 442 is a non starter from an attacking viewpoint.
    For this game I would have 5 defenders and 2 defensive mids and try to keep a clean sheet playing 532

Isted

REG Jones Ness Gillesphy  Thomas
    Dobson Coventry Bakinson
    Ladapo May
    Where’s the attacking threat here ?!
    No pretence in having any. Defensive set up for a 0-0