Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• Options
    6 league 1 matches on Tuesday night including Port Vale v Orient & Stevenage v Reading. Hate that I have to sweat the L1 relegation results. Spent last 10 minutes following Reading game today on skybet hoping Oxford would score. 
  • Options
    So if the following happens:

Port Vale win either of their next 2 games (or get 2 draws).
    Reading pick up at least a point in midweek.
    We lose to Reading next weekend.

Then we will be in the relegation zone this time next Saturday.
  • Options
    So if the following happens:

Port Vale win either of their next 2 games (or get 2 draws).
    Reading pick up at least a point in midweek.
    We lose to Reading next weekend.

Then we will be in the relegation zone this time next Saturday.
    Yep. Scary ain't it. 
  • Options
    Still think we’ll be fine.

IF it did happen, there should be studies done on our season because getting relegated from League One with:
    - Alfie May,
    - Freddie Ladapo,
    - Tyreeq Bakinson,
    - Conor Coventry,
    - George Dobson,
    - Corey Blackett-Taylor,
    - Scott Fraser,
    - Miles Leaburn,
    - Chuks Aneke,
    - Panutche Camara,
    - Lewis Fiorini,
    - Michael Hector,
    - Rarmani Edmonds-Green,
    - Macauley Gillesphey,
    - Lloyd Jones
    in your squad at various points of a 46 game season is genuinely unfathomable.
    West ham got relegated from the PL with a team that had:

David James
    Bowyer
    Carrick
    Defoe
    Di Canio
    Freddie Kanoute
    Glen Johnson
    Joe Cole
    And articles are still being written about it twenty years later because of how bizarre it all was, which was kind of the point I was making.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/too-good-to-go-down-how-a-talented-west-ham-were-relegated-in-2003
  • Options
    edited February 4
    I don't think our squad are lacking ability. What they've been lacking all season is organisation and now you can add confidence to the list. Hopefully Jones can work on the organisation (very quickly) and the confidence will follow. 
  • Options
    We’re still 7/1 to be relegated, 9/1 before yesterday’s game. Have put some money on as insurance.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/english-league-one/relegation
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IF it did happen, there should be studies done on our season because getting relegated from League One with:
    - Alfie May,
    - Freddie Ladapo,
    - Tyreeq Bakinson,
    - Conor Coventry,
    - George Dobson,
    - Corey Blackett-Taylor,
    - Scott Fraser,
    - Miles Leaburn,
    - Chuks Aneke,
    - Panutche Camara,
    - Lewis Fiorini,
    - Michael Hector,
    - Rarmani Edmonds-Green,
    - Macauley Gillesphey,
    - Lloyd Jones
    It's not unfathomable and it isn't worth a study, you are severely overrating our squad. 

There are a few players in that list that wouldn't look out place in a top6 side, that's about it. 

I can do the study for you, one manager who had no business being appointed Charlton manager, was given the job, and then the same thing happened again, and then that manager was given about 28 games too many. 

The teams around us have more quality than I think you realise, there are players in teams below us, and just above us, that stroll into our team. 
    Once again, a list taken in isolation doesn't tell the whole story. It's worth having a look through that list of how many didn't have a proper pre season due to injury, how many were not match fit when they arrived here and how many have suffered long term injuries through the season. 
  • Options
    edited February 4

- Alfie May,   
    Played out of position and gets balls lumped to him in the air v 6ft defenders 

- Freddie Ladapo,
    Completely match unfit and not on the boil yet 

- Tyreeq Bakinson,
    A decent midfielder enforcer but limited and no creativity in his game

- Conor Coventry,
    OK but not messi

- George Dobson,
    Grafter but not messi

- Corey Blackett-Taylor,
    You don't live here no more Rodney 

- Scott Fraser,
    A good player but not played to his strengths and not performed to his potential 

- Miles Leaburn,
    Injured 

- Chuks Aneke,
    Never available 

- Panutche Camara,
    Injured

- Lewis Fiorini,
    Not seen anything to suggest it would be surprising if he was in a team thar drops

- Michael Hector,
    Most disappointing signing vs potential for years and hasn't played consistently well to warrant or demonstrate supposed quality 

- Rarmani Edmonds-Green,
    Who had heard of him before we signed him and probably elevated him to better than

- Macauley Gillesphey,
    Who had heard of him before we signed him and probably elevated him to better than

- Lloyd Jones
    Was seemingly the best defender of a bad bunch but shot past few weeks

Add to my comments in bold the fact the players have been mismanaged, unavailable etc for most the season I will not be surprised if we drop.

Other than May and Dobson there is no one who leads by example and no one at all who grabs the game by the scruff of the neck and demands and commands like Roy Keane.

On paper we're supposedly good because of the "they've signed for us and a few comments on other fans forums suggest they're far better than they actually are" notion but even if they're half as good as is suggested and to command one of the highest wage bills in the league then they haven't clicked and still are not. I've seen our supposedly good players outclassed and outbattled all season by better and/ or hungrier and more determined opposition players.

The previous comment about the class on paper west ham side that dropped and Leicester winning the premier league show that what is on paper is often less meaningful than what happens on the pitch. 

I'll be shell shocked if we drop as the potential ramifications for the already perilous future of our club don't bear thinking about.

And we should not in theory be in this position.

But we very much are and fail to win next week are right in a relegation battle and looking as a real contender for the drop.

Crazy but true.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We’re still 7/1 to be relegated, 9/1 before yesterday’s game. Have put some money on as insurance.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/english-league-one/relegation
    9/1 still available on some sites.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Disgraceful!
  • Options
    I think only the delusional aren't worried about relegation, we are currently the side that every team below us is hoping/expecting to overtake.
  • Options
    The only good thing is that we are not yet in the bottom 4. We are not like Sheff Utd needing snookers to survive. It is in our own hands. 
  • Options
    edited February 4
    Scoham said:

William Hill seem to be offering a Charlton double at 31/1 of us finishing top half and being relegated.   Like printing money... 🤣

Genuinely Andy Scott when Apples was appointed said he believed our squad was Top 6 material and just needed a winning mentality.  By January he had decided we needed 9 (NINE) new players.  It's just dreadful management from the top.

Whoever our new manager will be comes into a squad which has injury prone players, no confidence, players with no fitness and little in the way of minutes this season and a tonne of new ones who don't know each other.  The squad probably feels like it would in early July just returning from.the off season. No settled positions, no continuity etc.  

Managers talk of how hard it is to integrate a whole new squad and have a successful season, imagine trying it half way through a season when the team is on its arse.

As I said elsewhere I think we will be fine and finish 12-16 BUT we are deep in the shit and if we don't click soon we will go down. 

Apples was a clown; Scott has to take the blame though.
  • Options
    I do think with a few decent acquisitions in the summer, with a full preseason and a decent manager I think we could, note the could, have the basis of a top six side.  Which makes the management selection and other cockups so bloody annoying.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’re definitely in the shit. 
  • Options
    I gave Coventry and Luton last month as examples of the phoenix rising from the Ashes but I didn't mean Cafc dropping to the 4th tier to prove that you can eventually make a come back to the higher divisions.

Bromley v Charlton at Ben Hayes lane is becoming a real possibility next season 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options

- Alfie May,
    - Freddie Ladapo,
    - Tyreeq Bakinson,
    - Conor Coventry,
    - George Dobson,
    - Corey Blackett-Taylor,
    - Scott Fraser,
    - Miles Leaburn,
    - Chuks Aneke,
    - Panutche Camara,
    - Lewis Fiorini,
    - Michael Hector,
    - Rarmani Edmonds-Green,
    - Macauley Gillesphey,
    - Lloyd Jones
    It's not unfathomable and it isn't worth a study, you are severely overrating our squad. 

There are a few players in that list that wouldn't look out place in a top6 side, that's about it. 

I can do the study for you, one manager who had no business being appointed Charlton manager, was given the job, and then the same thing happened again, and then that manager was given about 28 games too many. 

The teams around us have more quality than I think you realise, there are players in teams below us, and just above us, that stroll into our team. 
    How come loads of them have played in top 6 league 1 and/or championship teams and have not looked out of place? 

That applies to Isted, REG, Gillesphey, Coventry, Bakinson, Edun, T.Watson, Camara, Fiorini, Ladpao 

Other than Bakinson who was more of a squad player at Sheff Wed/Ipswich, all of the above have been starters for top 6 league 1 teams or championship sides in recent years. They shouldn’t be this bad and hopefully a decent manager can sort that out 
  • Options
    We are going to need to go on a run equivalent to a team pushing for promotion to get out of this mess. 

Didn't realise we had played 39 different players this season. That statistic alone proves that those running the day to day footballing side are not up to the job they are employed to do. Abysmal is an understatement. 
  • Options
    edited February 4
    This season has all the hallmarks of the Championship relegation season first time around. I think a lot of people are going to have a brutal shock come May when they realise this was a lot more serious than people have it credit for.

This could have all been so easily avoided.
  • Options
    Jones is a big enough character & higher quality manager that I will give every player a clean slate next Saturday.

It is if we come away from that game with a loss and no visible signs of serious improvement in morale & decision making across the squad that I will truly start to panic about relegation.
  • Options
    people keep saying how good the players in our squad are. But we are still 3pts from relegation, I do not believe that the squad is that good.
    Maybe we get these because they are passed their use by date, they are crocks trying to prove they are not, are youth players not cutting it in their own teams etc.
    It is want it feels like for the last 4 or 5 seasons.